THE MACHINE STOPS

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

THE MACHINE STOPS

Post by VTRDark »

For something a little diffrent and for those that like a bit of eye opening sci fi here's a short story. Now bare in mind this was written in 1909.

READ HERE
Anybody who uses the Internet should read E.M. Forster's The Machine Stops. It is a chilling, short story masterpiece about the role of technology in our lives. Written in 1909, it's as relevant today as the day it was published. Forster has several prescient notions including instant messages (email!) and cinematophoes (machines that project visual images).

-Paul Rajlich
And in case your wondering where I found this, well..... through another link which is also a very intresting read and IMO a very well written article.

The Amish understand a life-changing truth about technology the rest of us don’t

Maybe a better title for this thread would have been 'Food for Thought'. :wink:
==============================Enter the Darkside
Duffy1964

Re: THE MACHINE STOPS

Post by Duffy1964 »

VTRDark wrote:For something a little diffrent and for those that like a bit of eye opening sci fi here's a short story. Now bare in mind this was written in 1909.

READ HERE
Anybody who uses the Internet should read E.M. Forster's The Machine Stops. It is a chilling, short story masterpiece about the role of technology in our lives. Written in 1909, it's as relevant today as the day it was published. Forster has several prescient notions including instant messages (email!) and cinematophoes (machines that project visual images).

-Paul Rajlich
And in case your wondering where I found this, well..... through another link which is also a very intresting read and IMO a very well written article.

The Amish understand a life-changing truth about technology the rest of us don’t

Maybe a better title for this thread would have been 'Food for Thought'. :wink:
I think Food for Thought was a UB40 track ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
Wicky

Re: THE MACHINE STOPS

Post by Wicky »

On that note Who is to blame for 'self-driving car' deaths? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44159581

'Harsh punishments'
Walter Brenner believes there's a need for drivers - and people selling cars - to be better educated about what semi-automated systems can do.

There is a risk, he concedes, that even with that knowledge some people might deliberately choose to let the technology do more than it should - to experiment with it, or even to show off.

In those cases, he thinks, punishments should be harsh.

"There's a big difference between trying out a new feature on an iPhone and playing with technology in a car when you're travelling at 100km/h (62mph) on a public road," he says.

"Those people have to be punished because they're risking other people's lives."
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts