Anyone know what this sockets for?

General Biker Banter
kevg

Anyone know what this sockets for?

Post by kevg »

Found a waterproof cap behind the faring of my new bike, it's too small for a 12v socket.

Anyone any ideas if a Garmin or battery charger uses a round socket/ plug to link to the unit or the mains?

i've not seen one like this before and been out the loop a few years so some new fangled GPS might use it, even heated clothes? i'm holding the flip waterproof cap open btw, no name on it, might have to take the faring off and investigate.
20180617_101444.jpg
cheerz

kev
VTRDark

Re: Anyone know what this sockets for?

Post by VTRDark »

I'm going to take a guess at it being for either gloves as you say but most would be heated grips not gloves so I will go with heated jacket. It could just as easily be for a GPS or something it's a 12v jack plug.
==============================Enter the Darkside
popkat

Post by popkat »

Is it a BMW ?, I've seen the smaller sockets on BM's, I think it's their own size and you need an adaptor to plug anything useful into it. Or just cut it off and fit the correct size or a USB connector.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
popkat

Post by popkat »

Bit of googling and they are called Hella type or continental sockets, also fitted to Triumph's. useless for most things to plug into but you can get adaptors or replacements from ebay etc.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

hella.jpg
hella.jpg (149.04 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
It is a Hella connector, popular with the BMW crowd...and for those who like useless info, the American Tractor manufacture John Deer uses them as well, and are about 1/2 the cost if you buy the exact same connector from them as from a BMW accessory supplier.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
kevg

Post by kevg »

popkat wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:43 pm Bit of googling and they are called Hella type or continental sockets, also fitted to Triumph's. useless for most things to plug into but you can get adaptors or replacements from ebay etc.

Cheers Popkat, it's a triumph sprint, i googled chargers but didn't come up with anything.

now to see if i can find some adaptors.
cheerz

kev