bad luck comes in 3's

General Biker Banter
budd

bad luck comes in 3's

Post by budd »

Well they say bad luck comes in 3’s, I hope this is true because I think I’ve just had my 3.
The first came when I managed to dropped the bike in the garage fitting the rear paddock stand, to get the wheels out for their new boots, so I’m putting the stand on the bobbins and realise my pushbike is in the way so rather than remove the stand and move the push iron out of the way I decide I can push it away with one hand while lifting the bike with the other turns out this wasn’t a wise move !!, bike topples over and rather than just falling over it falls into my tool cabinet, the tank moulding sliding from drawer to drawer eventually finishing up wedged under the second to bottom drawer BUGGER!!, and it was well wedged I couldn’t shift it, I had to rope in a mate of mine Dave AKA Hammer (so called for his unique approach to bike maintenance ) after a bit of huffing and puffing the bike is freed and safely on its stands. Fortunately not much damage sustained just a nasty scuff on the tank.

The next incident was while out on a Sunday morning ride out, there’s a group of 6 of us we’re out and about nr York I’m following Hammer on his Gixer 1000 the rest following on behind, me and Dave pull up at the T junction and wait for the just to catch up, I see them approaching and check the road for traffic, there’s a car but it’s not to close so I figure we can all make it so off I go only to realise Dave as decided we can’t all make it and hasn’t moved double BUGGER!! The resulting ‘stoppie’ is one of the best I’ve ever managed the bike is nearly vertical I still managed to hit Dave’s back wheel but fortunately he’s got the brakes on and I don’t end up pushing him into the road, when I look round it obvious the rest of the group have found the whole incident hilarious in fact it’s just as well they were wearing leathers or I’m sure their sides may have split, they are still laughing when we get to our breakfast stop, not surprisingly I’ve had quite a bit of stick over this.

The third incident (and hopefully my last for a good while) occurred when a mate of mine (Chris) decided after 30 years off bikes he was going to get another, he’s split up from his missus so why revvy and he’d be better off getting something with more torque, coincidentally one of the lads, Noisy is selling a Gixer 1000 (the venerable Suzuki is very popular among my mates) to fund the purchase of a ZX10-RR, so it’s decided Chris should have a test ride with a view to buying it, now Chris isn’t the largest of men 5-7 in heels so jumping on a Gixer thou’ after 30 of abstinence probably isn’t the best idea, there is a reason you shouldn’t make decisions while in the Pub!! But it should be good fun so I decide to go along on the test ride. It turns out to be a red hot day so I don’t fancy putting my leathers on it’s only a quick trip out so I opt for paddock jacket and jeans, and decide to wear my BKS gloves rather than my usual Knox Handroids, (this turns out to be important later) so I turn up at Noisy’s (who lives in a big house with a large drive) the drive as a turning circle at the end just right for swinging the bike round, unfortunately on this occasion they are having the dog washed so there’s a big ‘dog wash’ van parked where you turn round. As I’m turning the bike in the more restricted area and my glove catches on the fairing limiting my lock, (the knuckle protection on the BKS is much thicker than my regular Knox) if you’ve ever done this you'll know the bike just wants to fall over, I’ve just filled it up so it’s that bit heavier so I very nearly drop it on the drive before we’ve even set off, much to the amusement of my (so called) mates, I manfully manage to wrestle it back up right and give a hand full up the drive trying not to look a total idiot., I go to pull the brake lever only to find it isn’t there (well it is it’s just not where it supposed to be) in my struggle to keep the bike up right I’ve knocked the folding brake lever up and out of reach, by the time I’ve realised what’s happened it too late and I ride straight into the lovely original special Yoshi edition Gixer 1000, treble BUGGER!!

The Ape ends up on top of the unfortunate Suzuki (I don’t think the RSV likes Suzuki’s as it’s the second one it’s hit a matter of days) I end up sprawled on the floor lucky for me I’m not hurt, the Suzuki as fared less well broken indicators, bent side stand, broken clutch lever and foot peg, all these are relatively easy fixes but the through to the plastic scratch/scrape along the tail piece less so, it needs painting or replacing, painting isn’t simple due to the pearl black paint then there’s the OE stickers Image works could probably match them but it’s still not going to be a cheap fix.
So if you’re having a bad day just remember it could be worse.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
MacV2

Re: bad luck comes in 3's

Post by MacV2 »

Tripple DOH!

No ones hurt* so all is good.

*Apart from your pride & wallet... :thumbdown:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Bloody hell, man, that's a bad triple right there.
Take it out on the bike....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
budd

Post by budd »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:41 pm Bloody hell, man, that's a bad triple right there.
Take it out on the bike....
certainly a lesson learnt, and one you may want to take note of, the feeling of reaching for the brake lever only to find it not where it should be is not one I'd care to repeat, the radial M/C is a lovely thing as you know but care must be taken to ensure the folding lever doesn't get knocked up or down it's surprisingly easy to do as I've just found out.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, I've heard that getting knocked up can ruin your day.
I'll be careful with mine...
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That sounds like something from a comedy film :) although I'm sure it wasn't funny for you.

I wouldn't bother with a lottery ticket this week :wink: :lol:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

could you hear the benny Hill music ..... shouldn't laugh, but it sounds like you shouldn't bother doing the lottery for a while :lol:
AMcQ
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Ouch!
Just when the prilla was looking so good too.
Just proves my theory that some days are better off staying in bed.

BTW, Hope you don’t mind me asking you to keep a good distance from my Suzi on the next ride out.....just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
budd

Post by budd »

Pete.L wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:53 pm Ouch!
Just when the prilla was looking so good too.
Just proves my theory that some days are better off staying in bed.

BTW, Hope you don’t mind me asking you to keep a good distance from my Suzi on the next ride out.....just in caseImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes I don't want the ape mounting another Suzuki.
Mauser5826

Post by Mauser5826 »

Think that's a def slam dunker right there! Little bit of sting I bet

8O