General Biker Banter
Ianf180

Post by Ianf180 »

Evenin all !,
Im new to the forum and looking for some advice regarding my impending VTR purchase,
What do I need to be wary of, anything good bad or ugly,
Any useful mods / custom parts etc,
Thanks in advance
Wicky

Re: Newbie

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

have a read through > *** Read Me for New Members *** > Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

change to mcct and check the rec units, they are kinda the must do jobs, anything else is personal taste or deep pockets,
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Welcome to the forum mate.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club fella

:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Welcome to the fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard.

Un-finned rectifiers (located under the seat plastics on the righthand side, throttle side) and manual CCT's (Cam Chain Tensioners) are things that can fail.

Things I would look for besides those items would be front cylinder exhaust header nuts and studs, they can get very rusty and seize, and rear suspension. If you push down on the seat with the bike standing vertically you don't want to hear any squeaks from the shock linkage bearings.
Take a look at this link:- viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11809

Apart from those items just general checks as you would for any bike, chain and sprockets including rear sprocket cush-drive rubbers, swingarm bearings, wheel bearings and steering head bearings, fork bushes and tyres,

Chris.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

welcome
also check the starter motor terminal for corrosion, it's located right at the front of the engine, right where all the crap comes off of the front wheel, pull back the rubber boot and smoother with grease to prevent corrosion, and check it every 6 months or so.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the forum. most items covered above.

as for any 2nd hand bike ... don't just look at the bike, you need to work out if the owner is the kind of guy you think looks after his bikes and knows what he is talking about. .. if he has OCD even better
AMcQ