How long do you think we have?

General Biker Banter
StormyRob

How long do you think we have?

Post by StormyRob »

For a bike that hasn't been produced in 14 years there are actually quite a few still around. People still love them.

How long before it starts to fade away?
How long before the Op Storms start slowing down?

Or will it never happen? Doesn't help that the government is starting to demonise petrol vehicles.

I hope there's a good ten years left but that will leave some of the storms over 30 years old.

Who knows?
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
fabiostar

Re: How long do you think we have?

Post by fabiostar »

hopefully like other bikes that have a following it carries on. over the years iv been in here loads of folk have sold storms and ended up coming back to them..

and its as much to do with the people that you meet on here and at the OP meets that keeps thins going :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Doesn't help that the government is starting to demonise petrol vehicles.
I think this is the bigger issue. Even if I had my bike up and running I couldn't afford to legally run it in London with the new eco emissions tax bollox. Even parking is more tricky and there's more chance of getting a ticket. Whereas before it was take a ticket out of a machine and stick it on the screen bikes could get away with it. Now they are going digital there's is no excuse and more bikes are getting parking tickets. Plus they are painting more Red route lines on side streets right up to the point where parking bays start so no slipping a bike in a gap somewhere. Add up all the costs including fuel, tax, insurance, MOT etc and it almost equals a days wage for a lot of folk so something needs to break. Abandon employment or abandon the transport to get to work. It's no wonder that more and more folk are turning to crime as it pays a wage that equals the outgoing costs to survive in modern day society.

The same will happen to cycles eventually. How long before they will have to be taxed and insured. Then there will be a cycle charge to lock you cycle up to a metal post. And all the time this is happening public transport costs will rise. 10 years is probably about right but it wont only affect Storms it will be all petrol engines.

As more and more bikes / scooters have become popular so has the the opportunities to screw us over along with the advances in tech which we have been subsidizing for years by being the guinea pigs and purchasing tech. We are victims of own own success and want for the latest gadget which then helps develop tech further as they steal more data from us. Just wait until 5G hits the streets it's going to be even crazier then.
==============================Enter the Darkside
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

I knew you'd pick up in that bit Carl, but rightly so. It's all a bit mad. I'd just hole they don't fully ban petrol vehicles from being on the roads when they stop producing them later down the line.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
thelens

Post by thelens »

StormyRob wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:15 pm For a bike that hasn't been produced in 14 years there are actually quite a few still around. People still love them.

Or will it never happen? Doesn't help that the government is starting to demonise petrol vehicles.

I hope there's a good ten years left but that will leave some of the storms over 30 years old.

Who knows?
10 years !!!!! I think if they stopped making petrol and diesel cars tomoz, petrol will be available for the next 50 years :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

They don't need to have an outright ban, much better from their point of view to have high taxation levels.
The congestion zone and ulez zones are prime examples in London - coming soon to a city, then town, near you.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:06 pm - coming soon to a city, then town, near you.
Yep!
They are already talking of making Bristol city centre a diesel free zone and there has been plans to put congestion charging zones in for years :evil:
I don't think it will be long before many others follow suit. And then they complain city centre high street shopping is dying. Well, I wont be going there if I have to pay!
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

StormyRob wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:15 pm For a bike that hasn't been produced in 14 years there are actually quite a few still around. People still love them.

Who knows?
I dunno but maybe ask a guy on a vintage Norton or Triumph next time you see one they still seem to be chugging about on them... If theres a will theres a way...London to Brighton run anyone ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

We have a huge problem here. We could ban every single petrol driven motor vehicle on the planet tomorrow in exchange for electric and it wont make any difference unless we stop plastic production.
In 2019, the plastics industry is on track to release as much greenhouse gas pollution as 189 new coal-fired power plants running year-round, the report found — and the industry plans to expand so rapidly that by 2030, it will create 1.34 gigatons of climate-changing emissions a year, equal to 295 coal plants.
https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/05/15/p ... iel-report

Fracking is the world leader contributing to plastic production.
https://www.desmogblog.com/directory/vocabulary/14669

Shale gas is shipped from US to Scotland and into the power plant to make plastic manufacturing beads.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... rive-in-uk

So plastic is a bigger contributor to global warming than all the motor vehicles emissions. Are we being mugged off.
Beef

Post by Beef »

VTRDark wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:43 pm We have a huge problem here. We could ban every single petrol driven motor vehicle on the planet tomorrow in exchange for electric and it wont make any difference unless we stop plastic production.
In 2019, the plastics industry is on track to release as much greenhouse gas pollution as 189 new coal-fired power plants running year-round, the report found — and the industry plans to expand so rapidly that by 2030, it will create 1.34 gigatons of climate-changing emissions a year, equal to 295 coal plants.
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

But it's OK, they've stopped plastic beads in shower gel/face washes and stopped plastic cotton buds :!:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I've had this discussion with bods at work as we are suposed to be getting electric vans to run around in as they are green.

Firstly, where does the elcetricity for them come from ? Oil, gas or nuke power plant more likely.

Secondly, what about all the plastic & steel in the vehical how green is that to make ? Simple answer its not... :lol:

Thirdly, producing the lithium batteries themselves... https://www.southworld.net/latin-americ ... d-lithium/

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium ... ent-impact

But never believe anything you read on the web ! It's all lies & conspiricy! quick pass the foil hats !
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MacV2 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:12 pm
But never believe anything you read on the web ! It's all lies & conspiricy! quick pass the foil hats !
But I've just read this post on the Web!

Does this mean that your assertation is not to be believed? And that you can, therefore, believe anything on the Web?

Is your statement that "it's all lies" itself a lie?
It's all layers on layers, like lesbian chickens......

Now I don't know who to believe....
I'll ask Google, and report back.

UPDATE:
I checked with Google.
Thicker tinfoil, like the stuff for turkeys at Christmas, actually works, but the thin stuff still lets Huawei hear your thoughts.
But luckily, the UK government aren't yet in a deal with Huawei, so they'll never know my cunning plan......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

But it's OK, they've stopped plastic beads in shower gel/face washes and stopped plastic cotton buds
It really is quite sickening. This company http://www.rpiscotland.co.uk/ takes the fracked gas from the ships and then use a process called cracking which releases emissions into the atmosphere to produce plastic beads to be sent out to manufactures for whatever they make. The above production process fills up one 25kg bag with plastic beads every 3 secs. And take a guess how much power this production process uses. Ready for this......the equivalent of three cities the size of Glasgow. We are not cutting down on plastics and we are not cutting down on emissions. All we are doing it taking from one hand to put in another. I think it's about 6% of all the UK plastic that actually gets recycled. All the rest gets sent to Malaysia to either be burnt or left to rot and be scavenged and / or thrown in the Sea by breaking it down into smaller pieces and washing into streams, rivers and eventually the Sea.

Here's our plastic....

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11351 ... -and-anita

Supermarket food packaging is one of the biggest culprits but so is the online world. Just think how many packages get delivered in one day around the UK by mr amazon and mr hermes all wrapped in a plastic non recyclable bags and /or box's full of plastic bags filled with air or polystyrene. There's even stuff out there marked as recyclable and in theory it is but the reality is that the production costs of recycling make it easier and cheaper to ship out. So next time the local council try to fine you for not putting the right plastic in the right colour bin tell them to f off and shove a big plastic something up their backsides. Welcome to capitalism a system designed to mug us all off and eventually make us extinct from global warming while the super rich with the big fat pockets develop a spaceship to fly themselves off to Mars. OK the last bit is bit far fetched as I don't think they have the time to do that and we will go virtually extinct first but they are sure as hell aiming for that or some kind of Elysium scenario. If you have the money you can book your flight now.

The following article is worth a read...
https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/05/26/o ... james-dyke

This is why we have climate protesters and yet we have brainwashed idiots complaining that they are obstructing people from getting to work to earn money to help pay into the system that is killing us.

Time to wake up people and having a petrol driven vehicle is insignificant in the grand scale of things but prices may rise and force us into buying into electric. There may even be incentives and tax breaks for businesses as there is only one concern and that is to keep the production lines flowing and keep the money rolling in and send it up the ladder. So how long do we have? Well about 50 years before the planet reaches the point of no return like a runaway train. Thankfully the children seem to be more aware of what is going to directly affect them more than the older folk who will be dead by then and are running the countries now.

Oh one more thing. Not only are we eating the plastic that is in our food chain but we are also breathing in plastic microfibres from our clothes in the air we breathe. That's about 2 billion particles per a day in London alone.

https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/stephanie.wright.html
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:06 pm
MacV2 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:12 pm
But I've just read this post on the Web!

Does this mean that your assertation is not to be believed? And that you can, therefore, believe anything on the Web?

Is your statement that "it's all lies" itself a lie?
It's all layers on layers, like lesbian chickens......

Now I don't know who to believe....
I'll ask Google, and report back.

UPDATE:
I checked with Google.
Thicker tinfoil, like the stuff for turkeys at Christmas, actually works, but the thin stuff still lets Huawei hear your thoughts.
But luckily, the UK government aren't yet in a deal with Huawei, so they'll never know my cunning plan......

Your quite right not to believe a word I say 99.9% of it is made up... :lol:

I've got 50 quid here for you... :twisted:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

cows!!!! its them dam cows farting that will be the end of us all :eek2 :eek2 :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: