Spaceport Coming to Cornwall

General Biker Banter
VTRDark

Spaceport Coming to Cornwall

Post by VTRDark »

Cornwall and Virgin Orbit are committing to a partnership seeking to deliver a horizontal launch Spaceport at Cornwall Airport Newquay, UK by 2021, creating a satellite technology cluster of national importance.

The first British satellite launch in 50 years could take place from Cornwall within the next three years following a new partnership with Virgin Orbit.

Virgin Orbit, a satellite launch company, has selected Spaceport Cornwall as an ideal location to operate and deliver one of the first launches of its LauncherOne system outside of its US home.

The last British rocket - Black Arrow - that sent a satellite into space was launched from Australia in 1971. The new partnership deal will make history by pioneering horizontal satellite launches from UK soil.

The news has been welcomed by UK Science Minister Sam Gyimah, who said: “The announcement of a strategic partnership between Virgin Orbit and Cornwall Spaceport is great news for the region and the UK’s ambitions for regular, reliable and responsible access to space. This partnership could see Virgin Orbit’s innovative horizontal launch technology helping the UK’s small satellite industry access space from the convenience of a Spaceport in Cornwall. We will work with both partners to support their ambitions, as we take the next steps in our national spaceflight programme as part of the government’s modern Industrial strategy.”

Virgin Orbit is seeking to provide launches from a Spaceport at Cornwall Airport Newquay by 2021, using a modified Boeing 747-400 aircraft called “Cosmic Girl”. Cosmic Girl will carry a LauncherOne rocket under its wing to a launch range over the Atlantic and release the rocket at around 35,000 feet for onward flight into space, carrying a satellite into Earth orbit.

As a horizontal air-launch platform, LauncherOne enables Virgin Orbit to conduct low cost missions quickly and efficiently by bypassing heavily trafficked established launch ranges. The partnership with Virgin Orbit will help position Cornwall as having the UK’s only horizontal launch facility.

Spaceport Cornwall will provide California-based Virgin Orbit with a strategic Western European location and make a major contribution to the Cornwall’s ambition to create a £1 billion space economy as part of its response the UK Industrial Strategy.

Read More

https://www.cornwallairportnewquay.com/press/press-releases/spaceport-cornwall

https://spaceportcornwall.com/

You can say goodbye to beautiful countryside as industrialisation spreads to the south west :( And forget about pollution and global warming.
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Re: Spaceport Coming to Cornwall

Post by MacV2 »

VTRDark wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:33 am Cornwall and Virgin Orbit are committing to a partnership seeking to deliver a horizontal launch Spaceport at Cornwall Airport Newquay, UK by 2021, creating a satellite technology cluster of national importance.

The first British satellite launch in 50 years could take place from Cornwall within the next three years following a new partnership with Virgin Orbit.

Virgin Orbit, a satellite launch company, has selected Spaceport Cornwall as an ideal location to operate and deliver one of the first launches of its LauncherOne system outside of its US home.

The last British rocket - Black Arrow - that sent a satellite into space was launched from Australia in 1971. The new partnership deal will make history by pioneering horizontal satellite launches from UK soil.

The news has been welcomed by UK Science Minister Sam Gyimah, who said: “The announcement of a strategic partnership between Virgin Orbit and Cornwall Spaceport is great news for the region and the UK’s ambitions for regular, reliable and responsible access to space. This partnership could see Virgin Orbit’s innovative horizontal launch technology helping the UK’s small satellite industry access space from the convenience of a Spaceport in Cornwall. We will work with both partners to support their ambitions, as we take the next steps in our national spaceflight programme as part of the government’s modern Industrial strategy.”

Virgin Orbit is seeking to provide launches from a Spaceport at Cornwall Airport Newquay by 2021, using a modified Boeing 747-400 aircraft called “Cosmic Girl”. Cosmic Girl will carry a LauncherOne rocket under its wing to a launch range over the Atlantic and release the rocket at around 35,000 feet for onward flight into space, carrying a satellite into Earth orbit.

As a horizontal air-launch platform, LauncherOne enables Virgin Orbit to conduct low cost missions quickly and efficiently by bypassing heavily trafficked established launch ranges. The partnership with Virgin Orbit will help position Cornwall as having the UK’s only horizontal launch facility.

Spaceport Cornwall will provide California-based Virgin Orbit with a strategic Western European location and make a major contribution to the Cornwall’s ambition to create a £1 billion space economy as part of its response the UK Industrial Strategy.

Read More

https://www.cornwallairportnewquay.com/press/press-releases/spaceport-cornwall

https://spaceportcornwall.com/

You can say goodbye to beautiful countryside as industrialisation spreads to the south west :( And forget about pollution and global warming.
It's at an exsiting airport...

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The Industrialisation of Cornwall isn't new - Yes blame the Romans - bring back the good old days

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mining_in ... _and_Devon
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

This obviously was on a local news stations here in Cornwall a few weeks ago.
One thing that I have always wondered about is, with anything going into out space you keep making holes in the ozone layer (unless of course you're lucky enough to use the same one :wink: ). Isn't the ozone layer there to give us protection against the dangerous rays from the sun :eh:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I think that's why they have to go through it at the appropriate angle as well as not to burn up. I'm waiting for the first instance of virgins version of Columbus or attack of the space junk. That's once they have run the gauntlet through Amazons and everyone else's drone flying in the skies at lower heights. Oh well it makes it harder for immigrants to hang onto the undercarriage :roll: We'll need a new dome or ozone soon just above us all on the ground to protect us from falling junk and radiation. Or maybe when the Seas rise that will naturally create a layer and we can all move underground, become more subterranean aquatics or live in an underwater city. Can we evolve back into amphibians.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTRDark wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:07 am I think that's why they have to go through it at the appropriate angle as well as not to burn up. I'm waiting for the first instance of virgins version of Columbus or attack of the space junk. That's once they have run the gauntlet through Amazons and everyone else's drone flying in the skies at lower heights. Oh well it makes it harder for immigrants to hang onto the undercarriage :roll: We'll need a new dome or ozone soon just above us all on the ground to protect us from falling junk and radiation. Or maybe when the Seas rise that will naturally create a layer and we can all move underground, become more subterranean aquatics or live in an underwater city. Can we evolve back into amphibians.
That's certainly food for though Carl :thumbup: :D

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:44 pm
VTRDark wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:07 am I think that's why they have to go through it at the appropriate angle as well as not to burn up. I'm waiting for the first instance of virgins version of Columbus or attack of the space junk. That's once they have run the gauntlet through Amazons and everyone else's drone flying in the skies at lower heights. Oh well it makes it harder for immigrants to hang onto the undercarriage :roll: We'll need a new dome or ozone soon just above us all on the ground to protect us from falling junk and radiation. Or maybe when the Seas rise that will naturally create a layer and we can all move underground, become more subterranean aquatics or live in an underwater city. Can we evolve back into amphibians.
That's certainly food for though Carl :thumbup: :D

Chris.
Only if your stark raving bonkers... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Choldy

Post by Choldy »

Well being a Cornish native and also ex RAF I served there when I was in the mob, I for one will be looking out for job opportunities...I had to leave my home county in search of a living wage a long time ago, not all industrialisation is bad :)

Carl
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Choldy wrote:Well being a Cornish native and also ex RAF I served there when I was in the mob, I for one will be looking out for job opportunities...I had to leave my home county in search of a living wage a long time ago, not all industrialisation is bad :)

Carl
Can’t agree more. I’ve friends down that way and trying to earn a living wage is appalling. There’s room for a Little industry and not ruining the countryside. It not all about living off the emits in the summer and trying to survive the off season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I hear what you guys are saying but that's a very narrow minded way of looking at things. We have much bigger problems than how to earn money to support the systems in place that pollute the planet more and what use is money going to be when we have more natural disasters caused by the industrialisation. Even possible extinction.

Who knows what's going to happen in the future but one things for sure global warming is going to keep increasing especially if we keep pumping avgas into the atmosphere. The way I see it is that industrialisation, commercial greed and our continuation of keeping capitalism growing to drive profits higher up the chain, our way of living and creating waste, producing more babies and saving more life's is what is going to eventually drive us extinct. We have messed with nature too much and upset the balance and the biggest increase has been since the industrial revolution and keeps rising. We are now entering a technological industrial revolution, robotics, AI etc. Is technocracy going to save us. What's powering all these machines. All these alternatives they come up with solar panels, electric vehicles, emissions tax etc is just another form of creating profit. In the grand scale of things it won't make much difference. :Cry2:
It was the spring of 2011, and I had managed to corner a very senior member of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) during a coffee break at a workshop. The IPCC was established in 1988 as a response to increasing concern that the observed changes in the Earth’s climate are being largely caused by humans.

The IPCC reviews the vast amounts of science being generated around climate change and produces assessment reports every four years. Given the impact the IPPC’s findings can have on policy and industry, great care is made to carefully present and communicate its scientific findings. So I wasn’t expecting much when I straight out asked him how much warming he thought we were going to achieve before we manage to make the required cuts to greenhouse gas emissions.

“Oh, I think we’re heading towards 3°C at least,” he said.

“Ah, yes, but heading towards,” I countered: “We won’t get to 3°C, will we?” (Because whatever you think of the 2°C threshold that separates “safe” from “dangerous” climate change, 3°C is well beyond what much of the world could bear.)

“Not so,” he replied.

That wasn’t his hedge, but his best assessment of where, after all the political, economic, and social wrangling we will end up.

But what about the many millions of people directly threatened,” I went on. “Those living in low-lying nations, the farmers affected by abrupt changes in weather, kids exposed to new diseases?”

He gave a sigh, paused for a few seconds, and a sad, resigned smile crept over his face. He then simply said: “They will die.
https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/05/26/op-ed-climate-change-civilization-hell-bent-destroying-itself-james-dyke

You should read the above article. It's a good site with lots of interesting things to read if you want to see further than the here and now. 'Houston we have a problem' or maybe the many millions dying is what is required for the human race to survive and help the planet repair itself to a more habitable state. That's the ones that don't manage to migrate to an already overcrowded country elsewhere to survive. I'm sure the mega rich will have raked in enough money from all of us by then to escape somewhere. It's like a mass genocide created by ourselves supporting the political systems and structure we have in place now.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

VTRDark wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:01 pm I hear what you guys are saying but that's a very narrow minded way of looking at things. We have much bigger problems than how to earn money to support the systems in place that pollute the planet more and what use is money going to be when we have more natural disasters caused by the industrialisation. Even possible extinction.

Who knows what's going to happen in the future but one things for sure global warming is going to keep increasing especially if we keep pumping avgas into the atmosphere. The way I see it is that industrialisation, commercial greed and our continuation of keeping capitalism growing to drive profits higher up the chain, our way of living and creating waste, producing more babies and saving more life's is what is going to eventually drive us extinct. We have messed with nature too much and upset the balance and the biggest increase has been since the industrial revolution and keeps rising. We are now entering a technological industrial revolution, robotics, AI etc. Is technocracy going to save us. What's powering all these machines. All these alternatives they come up with solar panels, electric vehicles, emissions tax etc is just another form of creating profit. In the grand scale of things it won't make much difference. :Cry2:

Now this is why I think you should stop posting these rants on here Carl... Since when have humans been pumping Avgas into the atmosphere ?

The exhaust from jet engines yes...but Avgas neat unburnt I don't think so...

Tell you what, see if you get permission to strap yourself to a airliners wing & take a measuring device to measure how much unburnt Avgas comes out in the exhaust... :wink: Oh & dont forget your tin foil hat just to be on the safe side..H&S & all that...

Maybe thats what that guy was trying to do who fell out of the wheelwell the other day... :lol: :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I get where you're coming from - yes we could all start by not tipping oil down the drains, not spraying aerosol paints into the atmosphere and disavowing ourselves from bikes with gas guzzling internal combustion engines ...

I for one have made my front garden a wild flower meadow for buzzy bees :p to offset all the years of the Storm pumping out CO, CO2, NO, NO2, SO2 & O2 (and methane after a good night out)

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

And it saves you having to mow it.
:clap:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.