SWM?

General Biker Banter
Mav617

SWM?

Post by Mav617 »

So, having got fed up of doing 5 miles in 45 minutes into Wandsworth, have had a chat with the board at work and they'll pay my £4000 rail season ticket if I give the car up. That leaves me needing to get to Three Bridges (5 miles) there and back every day. Parking a bike should be free, so do I:

1) Get an old trailee (XT225 or similar) or
2) Took an SWM Gran Milano (440 cc) for a ride today and loved it

SWM have Chinese engines, spares could be dodgy but it's a thumper and loved riding it. Would it survive a winter? Alternatives are the 125 Varadero or the MSX 125 Grom but this might not be suitable for occassional (Archery) motorway use.

Any help much appreciated fellas :)
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
freeridenick

Re: SWM?

Post by freeridenick »

Bicycle! You won't regret it. Promise.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

No way am I cycling guys - dangerous roads, even on a 125!
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

SWM were getting a good rapp when they bought the factory and tooling from Husky and were manufacturing the recently superseded Italian-era Husky dirtbikes in Italy. If some of the new models have Chinese engines i would like to believe they might be made to a standard since they have a bit of a reputation to uphold now.
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

Are working willing to pay the 4K towards the bike? I know you said they stump up the cost of the rail card, have you considered looking at royal Enfields the new Himalayan or the royal Enfield interceptor or the Benelli Leoncino and the Benelli’s TRK 502 X
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

ooh, Benelli - there's a blast from the past. Will have a look thanks. Work won't pay for the bike but a loan should be covered by the savings I'll make in tax. Can get a SWM Gran Milano for £3K with a 1000 miles on the clock.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I'd rather go Grand Milano than any 125.
Commuting on small bikes isnt safe in my opinion. You need something to keep up with the traffic and with size you normally get better brakes,clutch, tyres and an engine that can handle the miles.
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Thanks Pete! Decided to go for a KTM Duke 390.... :thumbup:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:D :D :D
You'll like that!, Great fun bike. Try to keep your license and not behave like a teenager :lol:
I test rode one a while back and couldn't stop grinning. You can see over the traffic and wheelie at whimm, I decided against it....a lack of restraint on my part :oops:
:lol: :lol:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Well I got all sensible and went for a BMW F650 - ugly mofo but that belt drive is sweet!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Less likely to be nicked than the 390 Duke.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

I make you right Tony :thumbup: