E10 fuel, any issue's?

General Biker Banter
JollyVTR

E10 fuel, any issue's?

Post by JollyVTR »

Autumn 2019, forced by EU government the regular pumpstation deliveres petrol with a higher ethanol content, up to 10% for octane 95.
Since then a lot owners of mainly small (most China) brand of 4-stroke mopeds are complaining about engine damage to the engine. Dissolved rubber hoses, fuel mixture intakes, rubber particles in between inlet-valves, results into no compression, etc....

Question: have you had any experience with a sudden irreducible damage on your VTR? Are those critical rubber parts inside fuelline in contact with, approved/resistant against E5 Or E10
mik_str

Re: E10 fuel, any issue's?

Post by mik_str »

I ran E10 when I first bought my VTR and went through 2 petcock diaphragms. I have since switched to non-ethanol fuel (premium gas in Canada is E-free and, with a compression ratio hovering close to 12:1, it`s now an obligation for me) and have not had a problem since. Coincidence? Perhaps.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
JollyVTR

Post by JollyVTR »

did you increase the ratio by modificate the bike yourself? (Other pistons,...). I know the standard Honda carb. models all run regular fuel: octan 91 ro 95. CRF, some 2-strokes and high-output (none pgmfi) except.

But what about the 2 diaphragm's inside the carbs?
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

engine has been extensively rebuilt... loooooong list of mods

no issues with carb diaphragms
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

mik_str wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:10 pm engine has been extensively rebuilt... loooooong list of mods

no issues with carb diaphragms
Isn't it about time your technician registered on here? He seems to know what he's doing.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

can`t share all my secrets... besides, the tech who did the "dirty work" was just following orders :)