Garage Door

General Biker Banter
Dickiebig

Garage Door

Post by Dickiebig »

It went bang!!!! The door has dropped, the cables are slack and it's a bugger to shift. So it will stay closed till the garage door man has been. Trouble is the bike is the wrong side!!!!!
MacV2

Re: Garage Door

Post by MacV2 »

Richard wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:25 pm It went bang!!!! The door has dropped, the cables are slack and it's a bugger to shift. So it will stay closed till the garage door man has been. Trouble is the bike is the wrong side!!!!!
Been there done that... Sacked the up & over & had it replaced with doors...wernt cheap but me & next door adjoined garages had both done at same time so got a bit off...

These ones in white...

https://www.accessgaragedoors.com/side- ... age-doors/

Was just over grand tho.... 8O
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

That’s not too bad. I’ve just replaced my up and over type door and it was about£800
Richard, they can just replace the cables. The kits used to be about £35 but that was 20 years ago when I did mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Had cables done a year or so back.
Not expensive. I tried buying the cables and doing it myself but there's a knack to it that I couldn't be bothered to work out, so got a blokey in.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:27 pm Had cables done a year or so back.
Not expensive. I tried buying the cables and doing it myself but there's a knack to it that I couldn't be bothered to work out, so got a blokey in.
It's a bit more than a knack... You have to retension the spring.

When I worked at British Bakeries I was shown how to fix the bay doors. 72 of the fekers on bays for HGV's to back on to the loading bays.

The bloody drivers were always feking them up by leaving things in the way, as the doors came down they hit whatever was left there, door goes out of level, tension on one side goes out, cable comes off rollers...Stupid driver trys door again, cable wraps round roller...

So you had to unravel the cable & re tension the spring... Think of the one on your garage door & multiply by 25 in size... Lets just say it was a bit of a PITA...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Garage up and over doors vary in different types of spring set-up's surprise surprise depending on which make door you have. Some cables are not too bad to replace if you know what you are doing, while others (as Mac says) are not that easy, and are really a two man job,

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Yep!
Mine was a piece of pi$$.
Just pull the cable out full and stick a screwdriver in the mech to stop it winding back. Feed it around the pulleys and hook it on the door.
Don’t know what you monkeys were doing but I just read the instructions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Ohhhhhhh boys now now, no handbags please
Mines only a little old domestic up and over, not sure if the spring has gone or just the tension, but a man in a van cometh and all will be revealed..........let there be light!!!!
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

As to instructions, I prefere looking at pictures 🤪
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Richard wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:39 pm Ohhhhhhh boys now now, no handbags please
Mines only a little old domestic up and over, not sure if the spring has gone or just the tension, but a man in a van cometh and all will be revealed..........let there be light!!!!
I put spring when I meant cable in my post above, I have changed it now :wink:

Chris.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Its a job on my list. The frame has rotted ,and I can do that. Getting the door out and back again will be fun. Would get a man in but they are not interested in playing with old doors .just want supply new ,but not do the rest which involves windows etc. and pukka carpentry.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

The garage door man has come, and gone!!!
The door now works, although he spent sometime with a " Brummie screwdriver" fine tunning it 🤪
The actual tightening looked straightforward, but it's working and I and the bike can Escape!!

Pina Colada anyone hi 🥳
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Richard wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:10 pm The garage door man has come, and gone!!!
The door now works, although he spent sometime with a " Brummie screwdriver" fine tunning it 🤪
The actual tightening looked straightforward, but it's working and I and the bike can Escape!!

Pina Colada anyone hi 🥳
:thumbup: :clap:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

sounds like an open and shut case :thumbup:
AMcQ
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:23 pm sounds like an open and shut case :thumbup:
Ohhhhhhhh 😁
Careful you don't cut yourself!!!!!😁😁
It even goes up, and down nicely now with little effort! Amazing how one gets used to poor performance...........the wife agrees 😗