Not been here for a while

General Biker Banter
neil

Not been here for a while

Post by neil »

Thought I'd look in here for for a change been a few years since been on here. Went on Scotland trip in 2013 if any of the long term members remember us. Ŕetired the VTR from touring duties as tank range was spoiling it and put it in back of garage where it's sat since then. Bought a ZZR1400 which was better for distance but had problems on our first France trip on it, puncture, lost sump plug at 90mph after not realising I'd loosened it when grounding sump coming off kerb. Key fob battery packing so couldn't start it. After that trip all been fine did the NC500 great. Had a trip to Orkney last year which was brilliant, recommend it. Came home to Yorkshire from orkney in one day 540 miles which I thought was great but Helen on the back didn't agree.
Bought a Benelli Tornado last year which like the VTR has a bad reputation but there's a good bike there once problems are sorted.
Going to Ireland on 28th July to see causeway coast and Wild Atlantic Way as far as Galway. I had Guillain Barre syndrome last November so was temporarily unable to walk but almost fully recovered now (still got numb feet). I could only manage a short walk each day at first after treatment and was just feeling more like going out as lockdown started.
Enjoy Scotland trip those who go, best of luck to all.
redvtr
nigelrb

Re: Not been here for a while

Post by nigelrb »

You've been a member way before me, but hello to you.

If you're back here you must have an inkling to get that VTR out of the garage. If it's yellow you'll have many urging you to do so!! :D :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

How do Neil, I wondered where you went.
I thought perhaps the wet weekend in Scotland put you and Helen off the group :lol:

Sorry to hear about the illnes but sounds like you are coming back to full strength.

Join us again for the Scotland trip if you can, still a few of that 1st years group on here and turning up each year :thumbup:
AMcQ
neil

Post by neil »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:10 pm How do Neil, I wondered where you went.
I thought perhaps the wet weekend in Scotland put you and Helen off the group :lol:

Sorry to hear about the illnes but sounds like you are coming back to full strength.

Join us again for the Scotland trip if you can, still a few of that 1st years group on here and turning up each year :thumbup:
Thanks Al, I'll be in Ireland while the you're in Scotland so lets hope we both get decent weather. Fond memories of you showing us roads around Dumfries, looking forward to riding some of them again on our way to catch the Cairnryan ferry. We're staying in Stranraer the night before.

Nigel my firestorm is red, it used to have top box & panniers fitted so others couldn't see all the colour and get jealous. I do keep thinking I should get it running again but at the moment it enough looking after the other 2 til I'm back to normal (if I ever was)
redvtr
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome back Neil :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about your G/B Syndrome, good to hear you are on the mend,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Good to see your on the mend sir and its time the storm was pulled out again :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Always loved the look of the tornado and wanted one but reviews put me off every time. Glad you’re almost back to full health

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Although we have not met glad to hear your back. Junk the others and get straight bars on the storm!!! Just kidding.
My friend has just traded his trek1130 for a Super Duke. Only minor issues with the Benelli, cracked frame, z drive and finally starter motor stranding him in France 🤣🤣
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Hello there lad, we were talking about you and the good lady last year, say hi to Helen.
Shut about your condition but great to hear your on the other side now.
Don't tell them how good the roads up north are, trying to keep this rabble lot away as much as I can.
You'll get back to the Storm at some point, its just a time thing.

All the best.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
neil

Post by neil »

IMG_20191110_141259631 (1).jpg
0$Images$103_102_PANAP1020714JPG.jpg
IMG_20190724_132946970 (1).jpg
Thanks for replies nice to be remembered positively I hope?, had to look up how to add pictures now photobuckets gone stupid. Sorry no vtr pictures here so don't ban me. Just showing my 2 bikes ive currently got on road and pictures from Orkney which had to get
redvtr
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

neil wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:30 pm IMG_20191110_141259631 (1).jpg0$Images$103_102_PANAP1020714JPG.jpg

Thanks for replies nice to be remembered positively I hope?, had to look up how to add pictures now photobuckets gone stupid. Sorry no vtr pictures here so don't ban me. Just showing my 2 bikes ive currently got on road and pictures from Orkney which had to get
Good to see the photo's, you visit some fine locations :lol:

I have always liked the look of those Tornado's 8)
Your's looks in lovely condition.

If it's not to long a list :) what needs doing to make it a good bike :?:

Chris.
neil

Post by neil »

sirch345 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:38 pm
neil wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:30 pm IMG_20191110_141259631 (1).jpg0$Images$103_102_PANAP1020714JPG.jpg

Chris.
Chris, Tornados had initial design problems with engine. An intermediate gear called Z25 was interference fit when meshing with next gear especially when hot. A redesigned (clearance fit) gear was usually retro fitted by dealers. Clutch basket also usually changed by dealers due to problems! Speedometer electrics go wrong, battery leads need uprating and high capacity battery needed. Lower fairing panels were incorrectly primed on plastic by some of contractors used around the factory. I contacted previous owner of mine when i bought it from auction site (not ebay) and he proved all this had been done. These problems undermined confidence in the bike, they were expensive at first so sales were poor, only about 2000 were made. Oh and cam chains cost £30 need changing at 15,000 miles but its an easy job as its on side of engine, mines only done 8,000 miles so bit to go yet. Tornados change hands from £2,500 upwards and by now they have usually had the issues sorted.
I thought I'd give it a try and if it goes wrong I would break it and pull some cash back that way. Fairings and mirrors very rare, mirrors fetch well over £100. There are some high milage ones around.
redvtr
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

neil wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:39 pm
sirch345 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:38 pm

Chris.
Chris, Tornados had initial design problems with engine. An intermediate gear called Z25 was interference fit when meshing with next gear especially when hot. A redesigned (clearance fit) gear was usually retro fitted by dealers. Clutch basket also usually changed by dealers due to problems! Speedometer electrics go wrong, battery leads need uprating and high capacity battery needed. Lower fairing panels were incorrectly primed on plastic by some of contractors used around the factory. I contacted previous owner of mine when i bought it from auction site (not ebay) and he proved all this had been done. These problems undermined confidence in the bike, they were expensive at first so sales were poor, only about 2000 were made. Oh and cam chains cost £30 need changing at 15,000 miles but its an easy job as its on side of engine, mines only done 8,000 miles so bit to go yet. Tornados change hands from £2,500 upwards and by now they have usually had the issues sorted.
I thought I'd give it a try and if it goes wrong I would break it and pull some cash back that way. Fairings and mirrors very rare, mirrors fetch well over £100. There are some high milage ones around.
Many thanks Neil for that information, good to know :thumbup:

Chris.