mik_str

Re: what will get you through winter?

Post by mik_str »

Richard wrote: ↑Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:44 pm
mik_str wrote: ↑Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:02 pm Image

Winter toys... woohoo!!!!
Now that looks proper fun πŸ₯³πŸ₯³

Enjoy πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Oh yeah!!!! Definitely takes the sting out of winter (a forceful reality here in maple leaf country)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Nosepicker

Post by Nosepicker »

I'm looking forward to fiddling with the Storm.
No big projects, just time in the shed with spanners and music :Dancing3:
Does me good in the dark months where I tend to overthink everything - and not in the good way :end:
Bad choices make good stories :D
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I decided to do something about my fitness during the off months, and developed an upper body strategy to develop my arms and upper body on the cheap. It's going well, so I thought I'd share it.
I'm calling it the spud fitness program.

The first week I took two 2.5 kilogramme bags and held them out at arms length at each side, level with my shoulders, for 30 seconds' duration once each day. I managed that fairly easily, so for the second week I tried 5kg bags.
I noticed the extra, but thought I could do more, so for the whole of the third week I went to 10kg bags.
I left the time at 30 seconds.

I must have been fitter than I thought, as I could do that, too, so this week I have gone straight up to 25kg bags.
To my surprise, I managed that too.

So next week I'm going to try it with potatoes in the bags.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Boom Boom Mr. Derek
To good he told it twiceπŸ€£πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

i'm in the same boat as some of you, trying to finish projects i've had for ages. focusing on the honda britain now as it's potentially worth a bit. it was featured in the may 2004 CMM magazine, but only recently, i've discovered a picture of the same bike in the colin seeley booklet produced not long ago. gives it a bit more provenance, i think. i'll also have another storm arriving soon so looking forward to that
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

haynesjones66 wrote: ↑Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:21 pm i'm in the same boat as some of you, trying to finish projects i've had for ages. focusing on the honda britain now as it's potentially worth a bit. it was featured in the may 2004 CMM magazine, but only recently, i've discovered a picture of the same bike in the colin seeley booklet produced not long ago. gives it a bit more provenance, i think. i'll also have another storm arriving soon so looking forward to that
:thumbup: :thumbup: for both of them,

Chris.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Really late to the party but finally getting around to building an engine with the bits I have horded... :shh:
Ordered all the bits needed to rebuild a set of heads today....ouch....lol

Just need to decide which set of heads to use, the high mileage set that is already ported and the cam journals plasti-gauge inspec
Or post the low mileage set, as it really isn't a very big job. :think:

Now to finish the quest for someplace to put them together. :beer:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: ↑Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:02 pm Image

Winter toys... woohoo!!!!
8) :thumbup:

That must make a nice change from two wheels seeing as you can't ride your bike :)

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Poxy autumn/winter weather...
Not dry enough to get supercorsa's up to operate rating/gripping temps and slippy leaves and damp patches, especially under trees.
It's barely worth getting the bike out at all, but if you do, you daren't put it away without rinsing it off in case it's another three months before you get it out again.

It's exactly what a nice Storm would be ideal for.... Cheap enough to be able to risk, and easy to tidy up if the weather turned out to cumatively conspire against you.

Sometimes I wonder if the money spent on a summertime toy is worth it if you can only use it in the summer.

But if I can get a dry ish day in the next couple of weeks I will put up with rinsing it off, same as last year, and the year before.
The risk/reward and the number of minutes enjoyed compared to the amount of time spent scurfing off the road detritus is less rewarding now, and will remain so until the late spring.

On the other hand; I have a cheeky offer for a nice carbon fibre part in play on eBay, and a few Titanium bolts etc ready to fit, so maybe it's not all about the riding....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

I'm still gathering parts for the rebuild and semi-restoration of my new toy I bought in August.
Took her for a maiden voyage and fell in love. 😍
Did some reading and the dreaded cam chain tensioners came up and put her away for some work over the winter. πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
One ride and I miss her already. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜

Many changes and upgrades are coming and cannot wait to tear it down soon. Biggest change is the DMR shock and front fork rebuilds being done as we speak and should make a great transformation to the bike as its now tailored to me. πŸ‘
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website πŸ‘†
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

misnblu wrote: ↑Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:19 pm I'm still gathering parts for the rebuild and semi-restoration of my new toy I bought in August.
Took her for a maiden voyage and fell in love. 😍
Did some reading and the dreaded cam chain tensioners came up and put her away for some work over the winter. πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
One ride and I miss her already. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜

Many changes and upgrades are coming and cannot wait to tear it down soon. Biggest change is the DMR shock and front fork rebuilds being done as we speak and should make a great transformation to the bike as its now tailored to me. πŸ‘
changing the suspenders :cool2 is prob the best money spent on a storm.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

fabiostar wrote: ↑Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:49 pm
Agreed and the reason I chose to do this. πŸ‘
I'm also signing up for some riding courses at NOLA Motorsports as I just spoke with them on getting joined up and getting back to riding after a 25 year absence on a bike. πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Going from a KZ400 commuter bike I rode for a year to this Honda is a big leap in power and size but this Hawk/ Storm fits my tall size perfectly and gives me the handling I was missing while riding the KZ.

Beginner course first to get all the basics again and then advanced on the track to further my skills as I get my bike ready for the Spring. 😁
NOLA does offer rental sports bikes for the courses so I can transfer what I learn on them to my bike and be that better rider.

Oh did I say I'm excited. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰
At 61 years young you're never to old to learn and ride again.πŸ™πŸ½πŸ€Ÿ
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website πŸ‘†
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

misnblu wrote: ↑Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:05 pm
fabiostar wrote: ↑Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:49 pm
Agreed and the reason I chose to do this. πŸ‘
I'm also signing up for some riding courses at NOLA Motorsports as I just spoke with them on getting joined up and getting back to riding after a 25 year absence on a bike. πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Going from a KZ400 commuter bike I rode for a year to this Honda is a big leap in power and size but this Hawk/ Storm fits my tall size perfectly and gives me the handling I was missing while riding the KZ.

Beginner course first to get all the basics again and then advanced on the track to further my skills as I get my bike ready for the Spring. 😁
NOLA does offer rental sports bikes for the courses so I can transfer what I learn on them to my bike and be that better rider.

Oh did I say I'm excited. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‰
At 61 years young you're never to old to learn and ride again.πŸ™πŸ½πŸ€Ÿ
This is going to sound all sensible now, but I think you're doing a good thing by getting some riding courses in. Bikes have moved on a lot in your 25 year gap of not riding, plus you have a much bigger bike now as well :wink:

Chris.