Custom ear plugs

General Biker Banter
Jamoi

Custom ear plugs

Post by Jamoi »

Alright collective minds, just wondered if any of you guys have used custom moulded ear plugs such as 'Ultimate ear' or 'custom fit guards'?

I was hoping to order a set to replace my cheap foam ear plugs. At the moment, I have to choose between foam ear plugs or the speakers in my helmet connected to my sena Bluetooth system. So it's either - no wind noise and no sena, or all the wind noise but use of the sena.

I figured these custom ear plugs with built in speakers would allow me to hear my sat nav or music whilst killing the wind noise.

The only thing putting me off are the reviews, there's a handful of bad ones and I can't trust the good reviews are genuine in this day and age where people are paid to leave positive reviews on websites.

Any real experience you could share would be awesome!
Jamie :wave:
gilson

Re: Custom ear plugs

Post by gilson »

A few years ago when I was commuting to work I had some custom made ear speakers. They were OK but they made me too comfy on the bike. I ran into the back of someone whilst popping along "distracted" riding past a college and then fell asleep for a split second on the M11. I preferred to be able to hear something, I feel it keeps me more alert.

I like the cheap yellow soft ones anyway.

I hope this helps.
No bike (yet).
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Jamie,
I can't comment on the custom fit ones, as I was put off by the bad reviews and never bought them. But for foam earplugs I have found that you need to try as many different designs before you find the one that works best for you.

I bought a bag of mixed earplugs, about 30 different types, and tested them till I found the ones that worked best for me then bought 100 sets of those. But the difference in noise reduction between the ones I liked, and the others was dramatic, so it does pay to try as many types as you can.

But even with them fitted, I can still hear my intercom / music / satnav, so there must be something up with your set up.... Or your earplugs work better than mine.

And same as Gilson mentioned, if you remove too much noise it can cause other problems. I have wax earplugs that I use for sleeping on an aeroplane, and when I tried them on the bike they took away so much of the noise that it was hard to get the gear changes smooth, as I had lost my perception of the engine speed.... But for long motorway trips they worked well.
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

I had some ultimate ear ones fitted years ago and still use them, but I tend to favour the foam ones now. The foam ones seem to have better noise attenuation for me and they were more comfortable when I used both on a long trip. That said my ear canal may have changed, it must be close to ten years since I bought them.

The foam ones take longer to put in though and they don't last as long, and they're not biodegradable. So it depends on priorities I guess.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... =0&_sop=15

Been using these for some years now, comfy & you can have a converstaion with them in so should work ok with speakers.

Some sort of magic fillter. You get two sets med & large but only one set of filters. Washable so reuseable.

Only issue I've had with them is the filltres dropping out after a while & one of the little rubber grab bits for removal broke off...This was afte a years use tho...so not bad.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Interesting subject this is, I've been pondering over something myself.
I play the drums, and use Docs Pro Plugs, they take quite a lot of the damaging noise out, but you can still hear what's going on around you, this is obviously a requirement when playing in a band and doing gigs.
When I'm out riding, I've always used foam plugs, mainly while on the motorway, which I tend to avoid like the plague.
As mentioned above, I too think they drown too much out when pleasure riding on A and B roads,, or commuting, which then brings on other problems.
So the next time I go out on the bike, I'm going to try using the Docs Pro Plugs, and see how effective they are.
I'll post up with the results.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

I've been using these for a couple of years now.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... PZEALw_wcB

The main thing is to find something which attenuates the wind noise and is comfy. I can still hear music or the radio up to about 80mph
At legals speeds they are perfect

I get on with them quite well but also have a few of the soft green squidgy foam ones which are very comfortable and work well.
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
JazzmasterJ

Post by JazzmasterJ »

https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/h ... protection

I spend most of my days playing or teaching the drums and motorcycling either side. I use some of these moulded ACS customs for the lot. They attenuate harmful frequencies but keep overall sound response across the range, with perhaps just a little loss of bass frequency. Conversations with them in aren’t an issue as well as use with headphones. You can choose what strength of attenuation you want and I think you can swap out filters if you change your mind down the line.

You have to go to your nearest available place to get the ear moulds made up (which is a weird experience), then they’re sent off. Quite expensive but for me my hearing is my livelihood so worth the investment. Plus I got mine cheaper as it was on a musician support scheme that was running at the time. If your work involves noise there might be other work based deals out there, maybe.

Had mine four years now, so I guess they’ve paid for themselves in foam ear plugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beef

Post by Beef »

I use Ultimate Ear plugs for my intercom with the wife. Love them. They can get uncomfortable after a full day on the bike & in very hot climate, you can get sweaty ears that can make them move slightly.
For me though, I would definitely buy again.
Audiomann

Post by Audiomann »

I'm an audiologist, and got very many pleased customers, this is the best. Kinda expensive but well worth it imo.
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

What are the best??
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Audiomann

Post by Audiomann »

Custom ear plugs. It may vary if you want soft or hard ones, but in my experience soft ones tend to be more popular.
TheBozBoz

Post by TheBozBoz »

When I was still a despatch rider I had a set made for me in the hearing centre in specsavers Orpington. Basically a hearing aid insert moulded round to your inner ear but without the internal wiring/amplifier. I recall them being fairly cheap too! Still work a treat although my hearing has degraded through most likely lack of using them!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

TheBozBoz wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:25 pm When I was still a despatch rider I had a set made for me in the hearing centre in specsavers Orpington. Basically a hearing aid insert moulded round to your inner ear but without the internal wiring/amplifier. I recall them being fairly cheap too! Still work a treat although my hearing has degraded through most likely lack of using them!!
Pardon ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...