So, what's the concensus?

General Biker Banter

Do you wave/nod to scooters?

Always. I'm happy to initiate the wave.
34%
I'll wave back if they go first.
34%
Never. They're a joke & shouldn't be allowed on the road.
31%

Total votes: 29

SILVER ZIPPER

Post by SILVER ZIPPER »

I'll nod at anyone on two wheel's. :D
It's better now than when i first started on my super fast Vespa 90. 8)
Anytime we saw biker's we would be off like a shot hidding under the nearest bush because it was the local angel's chapter out looking for sport. 8O
I HATE IT WHEN I HAVE TO PUT IT AWAY........
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Silver Zip Said
Anytime we saw biker's we would be off like a shot hidding under the nearest bush because it was the local angel's chapter out looking for sport.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I must admit I was never an Angel but in my youth we always used to either ignor or see how close we could wizz past the Mods on their iddy biddy scooters :twisted:
But now if they're proper enthusiasts and not spotty little chav's I'll give em a nod or a wave.

Pete.l
RAINMAKER

Post by RAINMAKER »

Just realised I HATE EVERYONE................wave.......bah thats for softies
it may be clever, but its not big.
Skatrekker

Post by Skatrekker »

I tend not to wave, maybe a nod of the head. I don't want to take my hands off the bars unless I have to. However in France most bikers acknowledge on another by either raising the middle and index fingers on the clutch hand or by waving the left leg ? which is a lot easier as you are on the right hand side of the road.
VTRgirl

Post by VTRgirl »

One thing I have noticed with the Harley riders is that they NEVER EVER fail to wave if I'm wearing a tight top & no jacket... If I'm geared up, ie, not quite so obviously female, then definite drop in wave-rate.
If you ate yourself would you become twice as big or simply disappear?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

From what I have experienced lately the Real scooters (that's the ones with gears and a hand clutch) I suppose I should also include anything over 200cc as some of them are automatic, their riders tend to be quite good at road sense, but the twist and go L plated idiots (I know it's probably only the minority of them) are an accident just waiting to happen :!:

I was only out on my Storm the other day when a few of these twist and go mob tail on behind me in the 30mph limit (which I try to stick too) think it's funny for one of their mates to burn me off still in the built up area then cut in front of me making me brake to avoid hitting one of them :!: I was glad when we got on the open road so I could get away from them :!:

It's idiots like that, that give the general public reason to complain :!:
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

Hmmm.. maybe my "Peephole Armoured Leather Jackets" weren't such a bad idea...

I'm a waver, though I agree with the hands on bars thing and tend to nod...

Heh, I'm a nodding dog...
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
kevg

Post by kevg »

Lol, well said Paul, everyone starts somewhere, it's just if they grow out of the chav/ned phase and get a life and a bigger bike.

i nod to anyone on two wheels, then spend the next 5 minutes cursing them for not acknowledging me, but i've made the first move. they might remember the nod and be better for it.

i also don't see every bike going in the opposite direction, so if i don' t nod, it's not intentional. so i can't expect a reply from everyone.
cheerz

kev
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

iits too cliquey now ! R1 riders,etc never return a nod, but most big/medium sized bike riders will nod or wave.
I'm cool with that cos like everything in life there are good uns and tossers !!!
Ride to live and live to ride and stay alive. :D
gcs

Post by gcs »

VTRgirl wrote:One thing I have noticed with the Harley riders is that they NEVER EVER fail to wave if I'm wearing a tight top & no jacket...
Funny thing :lol: when im dressed in a tight top and no jacket i never even get looked at specially by Harly riders :!: :!: :!: :roll: :roll:
Craig from the land of the long white cloud. Teal VTR 2001.
xenophon

Post by xenophon »

Whether kids are on scooters or not, they'll piss adults off. It's their job. Remember?

It's sad that acknowledging a fellow PTW user now seems to depend on which clique you are perceived to belong in. When I started riding, I remember being quite taken aback at first by the number of acknowlegements I got from all sorts of riders (but not from scooters or mopeds - more later). It was a bit like people saying Hello to you in the street. I really don't care about image - partly a product of anno domini and the fact that I ride a TEAL Storm - but now it seems that you are totally judged by what you ride by the vast majority of other bikers. I commute daily and am on nodding terms with a few regulars who travel in the other direction. On occasion, I've borrowed a scooter when my bike's off the road, and get completely blanked by the same nodders. I nod anyway - actually I do it when I'm driving a car! - but it's bloody-mindedness more than anything. As for those who ride cruisers and "Man at Carnell", keep nodding/waving, whatever. Because even if they don't acknowledge you, you know you'll be pissing them off.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

xenophon wrote:Whether kids are on scooters or not, they'll piss adults off. It's their job. Remember?

It's sad that acknowledging a fellow PTW user now seems to depend on which clique you are perceived to belong in. When I started riding, I remember being quite taken aback at first by the number of acknowlegements I got from all sorts of riders (but not from scooters or mopeds - more later). It was a bit like people saying Hello to you in the street. I really don't care about image - partly a product of anno domini and the fact that I ride a TEAL Storm - but now it seems that you are totally judged by what you ride by the vast majority of other bikers. I commute daily and am on nodding terms with a few regulars who travel in the other direction. On occasion, I've borrowed a scooter when my bike's off the road, and get completely blanked by the same nodders. I nod anyway - actually I do it when I'm driving a car! - but it's bloody-mindedness more than anything. As for those who ride cruisers and "Man at Carnell", keep nodding/waving, whatever. Because even if they don't acknowledge you, you know you'll be pissing them off.
I would say you're pretty much spot on there :!: