anyone try a 190/55 rear tire?

General Biker Banter
mik_str

anyone try a 190/55 rear tire?

Post by mik_str »

The new ZX-10 comes equipped with a 190/55 rear tire. Based on the fact that many have tried a 190/50 rear with mixed results (the negatives being traced back to the lower profile), I was wondering if anyone has tried this new higher profile rear, and if so what were the results?

cheers
Mikstr
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

190 tyre is designed to fit on a 6" rim
If you squeeze it on a smaller rim the profile goes all to rock

I can't see it putting any more rubber on the road than a standard tyre
However, it would look good so for some thats justification enough :lol:
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
Skatrekker

Post by Skatrekker »

Expensive if it doesn't improve things, why bother, all it will do at best is give you bigger chicken strips for people to mock. The fact that you are forcing the tyre onto a relatively narrow rim means that the profile will be different to that it was designed to have. Unless you have several years experience in motorcyle tyre research and development I'd leave things well alone or accept that you might have found a way to make a bike less stable.

A track day or a riding course will make probably make you faster round corners.
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Skatrekker wrote: it will do at best is give you bigger chicken strips for people to mock.
Exacatly! INMO...same as steering dampers...
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

If you wanted a 190 rear, wouldn't the best way be to mod on an SP2 rear end? Wouldn't be easy.

Also, the later model Hornets had big fat 190/50's on and got panned for crappy handling.
Voted most likely to be found dead in park bushes following an act of autoerotic asphyxiation.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

alrightee then! next topic, lol

thanks guys :)

By the way, I was not trying to infer that it would make me a quicker rider; I have been riding long enough (28 years) to know that the limiting factor with most modern bikes is the rider and not the machinery. I was merely throwing the idea out for discussion, and discuss you did!

cheers :)

Mikstr
Tinter

Post by Tinter »

Exacatly! INMO...same as steering dampers...[/quote]

Hows that then? Sorry to hijack thread but im not 100% clued up on steering dampers mine has one but my chicken strips are less than 5mm how do they stop you leaning in then
VTR1000 Firestorm P(97) - Double bubble screen, Braided Hoses, Gold anodised Scorpion Race Cans, Sprint Steering Damper, Black Pyramid Hugger, Gold Chain (Bling), Scottoiler. Lots more to come.......need more thump
Paddockstand Ltd

Post by Paddockstand Ltd »

Tyres are a funny old thing!

If you want to turn in quicker and zip round corners faster etc stick with the 180. If you the knee down brigade and my back tyre is bigger than yours ...
Regards

Steve

Paddockstand Ltd
www.paddockstand.co.uk
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Tinter wrote:
Hows that then? Sorry to hijack thread but im not 100% clued up on steering dampers mine has one but my chicken strips are less than 5mm how do they stop you leaning in then
They don't stop you leaning (although they can affect the speed you can tip in) but I think the point the Squiffy Wombat was trying to make was that a steering damper on the Storm is totally not required.
If you find you need one then its just gonna mask a problem, not solve it. You're better off addressing the cause (eg get the forks/ shock/ suspension linkages/ tyres sorted instead
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
slim_boy_fat

Post by slim_boy_fat »

Stormin Ben wrote:
Tinter wrote:
They don't stop you leaning (although they can affect the speed you can tip in) but I think the point the Squiffy Wombat was trying to make was that a steering damper on the Storm is totally not required.
If you find you need one then its just gonna mask a problem, not solve it. You're better off addressing the cause (eg get the forks/ shock/ suspension linkages/ tyres sorted instead
Not sure i agree, the storm is not notorious for shaking its head al la 2004 zx10r/ 1995 blade, but an bike can have a tank slapper momen given the righ curcumstances, a steering damper does not affect the way a bike is riden of turns. You only really ever notice it at very low speeds, and really who cares about the steering being a bit heavy in a car park at 10mph!!!

Just my 2p worth,

Slim, Firestorm owner with steering damper fitted. :D
It's here.........
Max

Post by Max »

You forgot to add some of them look nice too
Max

Paddockstand Ltd

Post by Paddockstand Ltd »

But a steering damper takes away the feedback you get from the front. So you probably control a minor tank slapper if you learn when its coming as apposed to dealing with a major one when its to late :o)
Regards

Steve

Paddockstand Ltd
www.paddockstand.co.uk