Jorge's new hat

Any racing related stuff
Kev L

Jorge's new hat

Post by Kev L »

Anyone else notice Jorge Lorenzo has changed his helmet sponsor? He was using HJC for a long time but has now changed to Shark.
I had a little dig about and it appears he got pissed with HJC as the lining on his lid slipped down over his eyes at last years Qatar race and he suffered with severe misting issues at some rounds.
Anyone on here had issues with HJC quality control?
I'm sure there was a good amount of cash involved as well.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
StuartWags

Re: Jorge's new hat

Post by StuartWags »

i have the rpha 10 + with pinlock .... not had any issues as a commute and track lid ..... noise may be if anything
artee

Post by artee »

StuartWags wrote:i have the rpha 10 + with pinlock .... not had any issues as a commute and track lid ..... noise may be if anything
As above. No problems

Roger
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

My hjc is-17 is good tho I do need to wash the pin lock visor once a fortnight otherwise if fogs up .
Still the best lid I've had .
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

I've had no issues with mine. I've had 2/3 hjc lids now and all been good :thumbup:

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Lorenzo used to be with X-Lite at one point,

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I hadn't remembered that at all Chris. They're a branch of Nolan if I remember right.
I guess it's just a financial move, but it's unusual for them to criticise sponsors products like that.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Bought two RPHA 10 in 2011, both doing well. One on the wife's head, the other on mine. She is picky with fogging and such..if it was going to be an issue we'd know.
As for crashworthiness.... Yup Im pretty convinced they work for that as well.

Less then four hours after the wreck....
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
budd

Post by budd »

I had a R-pha 10+ for a while last year, I bought it to replace my aging RX7 as I didn't feel like parting with £500 plus for another Arai, all in all it was a very good helmet, very light, good fit and decent comfort, great central visor lock/latch, no louder then my old Arai, and the visor change system is much better than Arais (I always feel like I'm going to break the mech on the Arai) and best of all amazing value I paid £170 delivered with pinlock and extra tinted visor (now that's value). So all good then? Not quite there were a couple of issues firstly the quality while good isn’t up to Arai stds, budget lids have come a hell of a long way in recent years and HJC are one of the best but for me they just fall short of Arai (and indeed Shoei). But considering the price I paid it’s a little ceorlish to criticise build quality, although mine was heavily discounted but at full RRP quality does become a factor. The other problem had was when crouched or tucked the top of the visor aperture was just in my peripheral vision and a major thing but a little annoying, in the end I decided to sell it and bought another Arai, because I got it so cheap I didn’t lose any money on it and like I said they are a very good helmet but in the end IMHO not as good as Arai, but certainly not a bad choice and getting back to the point build quality was very good, I suspect Jorges move to Shark will be more about money than anything else plus I'd be very surprised if the lids supplied to the top paid riders are the same as the ones we buy a the local bike shop.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L wrote:I hadn't remembered that at all Chris. They're a branch of Nolan if I remember right.
I guess it's just a financial move, but it's unusual for them to criticise sponsors products like that.
I only know that as my helmet is an X-Lite (which could do with replacing soon), I hadn't realised it until I bought mine :)

You're right Kev, X-Lite are a branch of Nolan. It looks like Jorge left X-Lite behind in 2013.

Yes I'm sure a lot of it is all about financial gains, I agree it is unusual to hear of a rider knocking their sponsors product,

Chris.
Dendrob

Post by Dendrob »

E.Marquez wrote:Bought two RPHA 10 in 2011, both doing well. One on the wife's head, the other on mine. She is picky with fogging and such..if it was going to be an issue we'd know.
As for crashworthiness.... Yup Im pretty convinced they work for that as well.

Less then four hours after the wreck....
Main thing is you're ok. That's what counts.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I have a hjc, initially I liked it. but ever since I removed and washed the lining according to hjc's guidelines, it's never been the same, with the lining coming loose, one of the top vents seems to be broken and makes a massively annoying clicking noise. and the padding on the chin strap keeps falling off, I won't buy another one. I think i'll go back to shoei.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Jeez Eric :eek2 :eek2 I'm glad you had a lid on. I know some parts of the US allow one to not wear a lid if you want. Looks like you hurt you arm going by that expression.
==============================Enter the Darkside
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

cybercarl wrote:Jeez Eric :eek2 :eek2 I'm glad you had a lid on. I know some parts of the US allow one to not wear a lid if you want. Looks like you hurt you arm going by that expression.
Fractured rib 4-7 and that was the extent of significant injuries.
Bruise on hip from having 2.3 pounds of stainless steel and plastic crushed into my side...little sore in the right shoulder but jacket armor though broken in half saved the bone and tissue..
Yes in the US there is a mix of mandatory helmet laws,, in Texas where I live it is required but you can claim an exemption.
to be exempt from wearing you must be 21 years of age or older, and have taken and passed the MSF Basic riders course
OR be 21 years of age or older and have on your person proof of motorcycle specific health care insurance.

I think it's nuts to ride without a helmet, or for that matter anything less then a quality full face helmet. But I like the fact we treat adults as adults and let them make an informed, adult educated decision for themselves.
We are all a product of our environment...I grew up around a bunch or riders and races in northern California.. they all wore helmets, hell they wore a helmet and gloves to rid down to the local bar :mrgreen:

So I wore a helmet, as that is what everyone else did.... and I still do after many dozens of crashes on the track, off road and twice now on the street. There is no doubt in my mind gear works. This last crash was 75 mph..my sons in December last year was 72 MPH...both of us banged our head.
In 2003 I fell on the track at more then 170mph....I was bruised and beat up but no other damage
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

E.Marquez wrote:In 2003 I fell on the track at more then 170mph....I was bruised and beat up but no other damage
:eek2 Phew! Marquez by name Mark Marquez by nature 8O

Just goes to show what good gear and doing it in the right environment (track) can let you get away with :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal