Guy back on the Island

Any racing related stuff
macdee

Re: Guy back on the Island

Post by macdee »

Watty wrote:
macdee wrote:
Watty wrote:He's also doing the Armoy, the best road race I've been to :thumbup:
I and you would only spectate at the slow corners
You said those big red bikes scared you :lol:
Not as much as the punters in Joey's bar :lol:
The big lass with the tattoos had her eye on you :lol:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

Saintsman27 wrote:Good luck to Guy .... he's truly " box office " with a massive following
I hope that the box is not a long one though .. best of luck to him I say :thumbup:
IMHO and from what ive seen in person HE,S A KNOB thinks he,s a lot bigger than he is but just my opion,I think he,s back because he wasn't as box office as he thought and still craves attention,I personally think the tt and road racing are better off with out him in the paddock,hope no harm comes to him but wish he,d call it a day and f,,ck off
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Wow - Vtwin goody....that's what I call ''not holding back'' :lol: And quite right too! - We're all entitled to our opinions, no matter how harsh they seem to some.

I agree with some things you say. The fact that he now has a publisher, manager and a promoter (they dictate to him what he can, and cannot do). This has been seen from Guy over the past couple of years as everytone tries to get a bit of him to promote stuff, attend shows, have a photo session, review things, write articles, do TV programmes, write books, test bikes, fly abroad for interviews etc.

He has not got the time anymore to speak to ''the man on the street'' or have time to sign stuff. He's way too big for that now. Yes, he still does the rare show or signing, but it's his manager that calls the shots.

But, I do remember Guy saying he can't be arsed with all the young guys wearing his replica helmets, turning up for a signed photograph looking like they just came off a race track with their badged leathers and race replica bikes. That put me off him a bit. Hell, it's the guys buying the helmets, the beanies, the books, and watching the TV shows that helped get him where he is today. Through love and support - and he now has little time for it.

Then, when he appeared in Alford for our local motorcycle convention as a guest in 2011, he really seemed to be ''up his own Harris'' and acted strange. He was heard on record saying he really didn't want to be there, but he signed a few photos, talked to a lot of folk (including me for 10 mins) and then he was off.

Then, a couple of years ago, he was asked back to Alford again. He said YES. :clap: SUPERB.

He was all booked, the posters made up and word out he was heading back to the tiny Aberdeenshire town for another bike convention.

Then, at the last minutes, his promoters cancelled it, stating he was ''booked elsewhere'' and had been before the Alford booking. :evil:

This kinda put me off him even more! But, it wasn't his fault, but that of his bloody managers again, booking him for everthing, saying yes to every event, knowing they can't get him everywhere. -Their plan is they want him fully booked, but then pick the best events that pay the most.

The plus side was that he personally offered the Grampian Transport Museum in Alford his bikes for display. :thumbup:

See this link: Grampian Transport Museum: Guy Martin Collection to go on show in 2016

I wouldn't wish harm on him, and am saddened to hear he has chosen to ride again. But, road racing is a drug I suppose, and despite the books, TV, and happy care-free life he has, he'd be sitting itching to get back on a race bike again - not thinking about the fact his body (and mind) may be past it.

I just hope to Christ he wises up, listens to his family, his girlfriend, his mates, and takes stock of what he has, and what he's gonna leave behind if he kills himself.

He IS a bit of a knob now, but that's TV and fame that has changed him. Deep down, I think he regrets it all ever happening, and that he'd just like to be left alone, back to square one. But, it's all got out of control, and Guy is not the same guy he was before. Even his best mate Cammy will say so. :(

The money means nothing to him, but the way he thinks (with his diagnosis of Austism) is strange to us. His brain (as in all Autistic peoples) is wired weird, and they are obsessive to the point sometimes of being self destructive. Unfortunately, Guy found a ''hobby'' that has fed his obsessional part of his brain, and that he needs to keep feeding it to ''be on top of it''. And that (now) will (maybe) lead to him taking it a step too far.

But, he cannot see it. He thinks it's normal, for that's all he knows.

It's sad in a way, that his Autistic brain is controlling him, and it's cancelling out the ''normal common sense'' part. :(

Ok, I'd better end this here. A few beers and a bottle o' plonk later, and I'm on ramble fest again! And I've gotta be up early to go ride 80 miles for a new welding helmet tomorrow.

Sheesh!

Take 'er easy goody!

GBM :thumbup:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
Watty

Post by Watty »

Macdee! I had my bloody eye on her :erection:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

GBM :thumbup:
vardypeeps

Post by vardypeeps »

I think this year might be his final big push for a win at the TT.

I think he's made an excellent choice with the Honda Fireblade as I feel it's more suited to the road racing, albeit with fancy parts fitted! :D
geeman22

Post by geeman22 »

I'm a big guy Martin fan and I'm glad is back at the TT and I hope he finally gets that maiden win even if it is in th TT zero
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

geeman22 wrote:I'm a big guy Martin fan and I'm glad is back at the TT and I hope he finally gets that maiden win even if it is in th TT zero
Ha ha now that would be funny after him questioning whether mc,pints win in that should really count in his tally as its not really the tt :lol:
Robert j

Post by Robert j »

Not his biggest fan tbh every time I look at the books in tesco he's got a new one out lol but I think he can win it with some luck doubt it this year though he'd probley do better if he concentrated on racing rather than an TV n books bet his back account balance is looking good though :lol:
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

Ok I'm still not a fan but watching the 1st race and listening to him after I felt really sorry for him,his face said it all,I'm a big Honda fan but they've wombles up this yr and should pull out IMO,Honda will race again maybe guy won't and I don't blame him,he didn't blame anyone or make excuses for the off but it's a bike with problems so I have to respect him for that lets hope Honda do the same and they both make the right decision
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

didnt see last night coverage, but spoke to a few who did, and they say he is a lucky lad!.

Also did any of you watch the Saturday ITV4 TT show? what did you make of the John McGuiness interview?? that was him saying he is going to retire!
AMcQ
macdee

Post by macdee »

I would say John should retire he's not getting any younger reactions get slower
Make what he can and get out of the game
He's lucky he has the option a lot of riders didn't
Same for guy
told you not to but oh no you knew better