Donington classic festival, this weekend

Post by popkat »

Anyone going ?

I'll be in garage 11
White VFR750 #34 superstock class
Black XJ600 #34 Production class

https://doningtonpark.msv.com/DP-19-CRMC

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Donington classic festival, this weekend

Post by sirch345 »

How did it all go Malc :?:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

was going to ask same question
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I'm not being left out.
How did it go, Malc?

Anyone else want to know?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Ooh, ooh, me too me too! Were you victorious oh mighty Gladiator of the circuit? Did you smile at any point in proceedings?

:wave:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

cant have been that good or we would have heard about it by now ......... or perhaps he won and is still drunk from the calibrations.

but as long as its not because he is in hospital!
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

1st race
12th 34 8e 8 Malcolm Sampson Yamaha / XJ / (600)
2nd race
11th 34 8e 8 Malcolm Sampson Yamaha / XJ / (600)

3rd race
11th 34 8k 6 Malcolm Sampson Honda / VFR / (750)
4th race
12th 34 8e 9 Malcolm Sampson Yamaha / XJ / (600)

5th race
6th 34 8k 2 Malcolm Sampson Honda / VFR / (750)
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:16 am cant have been that good or we would have heard about it by now ......... or perhaps he won and is still drunk from the calibrations.

I've checked & he's not in A&E...Bit disapointed with results, had a bug & other issuse to contend with... He's OK tho...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:05 pm
AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:16 am cant have been that good or we would have heard about it by now ......... or perhaps he won and is still drunk from the calibrations.

I've checked & he's not in A&E...Bit disapointed with results, had a bug & other issuse to contend with... He's OK tho...
Was it splatted in the centre of his visor?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
popkat

Post by popkat »

I'll clarify those results, not quite as you see them as there's more than one class on track at the same time.

Production (on my XJ600, not as good as the FZ600's that fill the grid :wink: )

Race 1 = 8th in class
Race 2 = 8th in class
Race 3 = 8th in class.. this one when the flag dropped I went upward instead of forward, very upward and then the bike went sideways and at this point still not going forward, it came back down and I had to dab a foot so as not to fall off, by this time I was way down the grip, had a good race carving through and caught onto the back of the lot I had been dicing with in the other races so made up for the poor start :)

Superstock

Race 1 = 4th in class, poor start but similar pace to the front 3
Race 2 = 6th in class even poorer start and got caught in a battle that held me back.. Frustrating but my fault for starting bad.
Race 3 = 2nd in class, only a back marker stopped me having a go at the win into the chicane, might not have got it but would have tried.

Wheatcofrt trophy, 10th overall, this is an all comers race with big superbikes and TZ's etc, had a good battle with some other 750's and we were all close.

Not the weekend I would have liked but not too bad, the XJ is what it is and I ride it as hard as possible, it's also a really fun bike to ride.
The VFR i was hoping my lap times would be a second quicker, not to be though, still plagued by a splutter problem, flat out straight, hard braking and then as soon as i go back to the throttle it splutters for a bit, possibly losing up to half a second a lap, also the chicane at Donington isn't the best place to have a splutter..

The poor starts, well I had to be home to go to a funeral on Monday, a proper shocker, unexpected and close family :( I know for sure the need to be there was on my mind and I'll put the starts down to subconsciously playing it a bit safe.

My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

sound good craic malc :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

that splutter sounds like a vtr flooding the front carb before the pipes are cut and pointed downwards, do the VFRs suffer the same for the same reason?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I wouldn't be to harsh on yourself Malc, under the circumstances you did alright I'd say,

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:50 pm sound good craic malc :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

that splutter sounds like a vtr flooding the front carb before the pipes are cut and pointed downwards, do the VFRs suffer the same for the same reason?

I thought the same Rob but the VFR's don't normally suffer that. It didn't do it this year but has all this year. before the first round i put a bit of fuel additive in the tank, not a lot just a little to clean the small passageways in the carbs incase they have varnished up over the years. This caused a problem at the first meeting as there's tiny fuel filters in the carbs, one got blocked and had a sludge on it, Had to pull out of a race as it wasn't rideable. didn't realise at first so replaced all electrics, new coils, plugs, plug leads and caps, pulse generators. all the stuff changed wasn't a bad idea anyway, later I found the blockage. After this I've had the splutter problem. Other things changed over winter were fuel tank (it's clean inside) fuel pump and removed the fuel pump relay.. It's possible under hard braking that the float bowls are flooding a little and maybe the pump can't keep up, I will be trying another pump, also someone suggested that if there's a small hole in the internal pipes in the fuel tank that it might be sucking air in, not sure on that theory and would be very difficult to diagnose, I can't think how ?.. The problem is a pain, it's done it at Pembrey, Cadwell and Donington. Didn't do it at Anglesey and I won :) but Anglesey the particular circumstance doesn't arrise.. Malloy next and I don't know if it will happen there but the round after at Snetterton It definitely will, really hope I get to the bottom of it soon.

popkat

Post by popkat »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:03 pm I wouldn't be to harsh on yourself Malc, under the circumstances you did alright I'd say,

Chris.
Cheers Chris, I'm not really being harsh on myself just hoped to go better at least in the first 2 superstock races. I always want more it's why I spend everything I have and put up with the travelling and sleeping in a transit :thumbup:

Funny though with the XJ I accept it can't win in it's class so just take it for what it is, I've had that bike for years and it's far cheaper to run. The VFR I have put a lot into and it's more race bike than shopping bike :lol: