Advice re buying a storm???

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
TechyMatt

Advice re buying a storm???

Post by TechyMatt »

Hi guys,

Im looking at selling my 07 plate hornet and buying a 98-01 storm or a 98-01 vfr 800. I use the bike mainly for commuting to work and occasional play time. I do enjoy playing whilst commuting as i use some fast roads to get to work.

I enjoy the challenges presented with maintaining a bike and hate paying a garage to do the same thing i could do at home. I have downloaded the service manual for the bike so am equipped and willing to do the work.

I just wondered if you guys had any comments or suggestions

Thanks

Matt
benny hedges

Re: Advice re buying a storm???

Post by benny hedges »

if youve had a browse on here you will know the jobs that need doing to make the storm more reliable etc...
before you go looking for one, have a look in the sales section here cos there's some absolute crackers up for grabs at the moment for meagre dosh, with all the necessary tasks already done... and a few very tasty ones with vfr single sided swing arm conversion etc... if i was buying one i'd look no further, plus you can see the history of the bikes here :thumbup:

vfr? not in the same league in the fun stakes imo, nice looking but a bit bland tbh.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

+1 what he said ^
AMcQ
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

welcome matey, yeh wot they said! :D
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Welcome TechyMatt :wave:

There's no contest
If you intend to load it up with panniers, wife and kids, kitchen sink etc for going long distance touring go for the VFR 800 :lol: :thumbdown:
If not then like the others say, for sure go for a VTR firestorm, you won't regret it, they're a fantastic bike, they're so much fun, you'll be able to play out at weekends without reving the nuts off it' and have a big smile on your face every time you ride to work, :D :D :D
They pull like a train, (oh thats's a fast train by the way) I’ve had 2 over the last 11 years,
I'm selling a really nice RED 2001 at the moment which I’ve owned for the last 7 years, the only reason I’m selling it is to get an SP1 :D

I just love V TWINS :boobs:

Look in the SALES+WANTS section you'll find mine about 3/4 down the page, it's titled as follows:-
VTR Firestorm for sale
by Cheekykev
If you’d like more info send me a PM and I’ll forward my phone number .

PS, try and buy one off the forum if you can, they’re a great bunch of people with a reputation to hold :thumbup:
which in turn means you won’t have to risk dealing with some butt hole, there’s some really bent people out there that would sell their grandmother if they could :twisted: :thumbsdown:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

cheekykev wrote: you won’t have to risk dealing with some butt hole, there’s some really bent people out there that would sell their grandmother if they could :twisted: :thumbsdown:

:lol: there's some really bent people on here, look at all the yellow owners..... they love dealing with arseholes.

yellow is the new pink :lol:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Matt :thumbup:

My advice is as always, make sure you test ride any bike before buying one.

The Firestorm has two common faults that need sorting (if not already done by previous owner) and that is (1) the rectifier [found under the seat tail plastic's on the righthand side (rear brake pedal side)] needs replacing with a finned type, the later models did have these as standard. Very easy to check visually with the seat removed.
(2) The CCT's (Cam Chain Tensioners) need either replacing with the fixed manual type, or the stopper mod carried out, as these can and do let go when they feel like it.

Apart from those two things the Firestorm is normally a very reliable bike.

Chris.
TechyMatt

Post by TechyMatt »

Thanks for all your helpful comments. I have test ridden both the VTR and VFR and have to saqy i prefer the storm. My main concern is that im considered a nutter as i ride all year and am slightly nervous dealing with a big twin in the wet. How do you guys find dealing with storms in the wet?

I think from viewing the sales area i will most likely buy one off here. Just need to sort the finance side of it now.

thanks guys and i will keep checkin on here for news and bikes being sold.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

TechyMatt wrote: How do you guys find dealing with storms in the wet?
as with anything, comes down to your own confidence and your choice of tyres.
round town it's a pussycat, especially with a 15t front cog.
most if not all of the bikes in the sales section will have had suspension fettled and all the other jobs... you won't look back :thumbup:
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

[quote="TechyMatt"]Thanks for all your helpful comments. I have test ridden both the VTR and VFR and have to saqy i prefer the storm. My main concern is that im considered a nutter as i ride all year and am slightly nervous dealing with a big twin in the wet. How do you guys find dealing with storms in the wet?

quote]

They're easy to ride in the wet once you get familiar with them, just ride it in a higher gear than you would normally and the torque will be there but without the serge, i think they're easier to ride in the wet than a four, don't forget it will take you a while to get used to a big V twin if you've only had inline fours but it will be worth it, you'll probably wonder why you didn't change years ago :thumbup:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Welcome. :thumbup:
I'll chuck in my two pennies worth and suggest that among the well known things listed is to check the rear suspension linkage roller bearings - on is positioned right above the rear pipe bend so they dry out.
And depending on yer tyres (Avon Storm 2 Ultras on mine) they're rather good in the wet.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
seantopbloke

Post by seantopbloke »

Hi Matt, a pleasure to meet you the other day, glad you like my storm & lets hope you find a buyer for your hornet so you can buy her off me.

I have fitted the dynojet kit now & balanced the carbs, as you know i am unable to ride at the moment so i will let you know how she is running when i have the all clear to ride again, My son started her up for me today just to keep her running & she did sound sweet. I would definately go with everyone else on the site, storms are truly wonderful machines. This was my first laege cc V twin & ckeekykev is right, i wondered why i didn't try it years ago, best of luck with your finances & hopefully i will be seeing you soon when you come & collect her. :thumbup:

For anybody wondering why i am selling, i have moved house & you can see work from my front door, just need a pushbike, it's quicker to cycle to work in a straight line than it is to ride around the roads & down the hills !
:wtf:
Its the sound of thunder at the back end that makes me smile at the front end !
tinysmall

Post by tinysmall »

TechyMatt wrote:Thanks for all your helpful comments. I have test ridden both the VTR and VFR and have to saqy i prefer the storm. My main concern is that im considered a nutter as i ride all year and am slightly nervous dealing with a big twin in the wet. How do you guys find dealing with storms in the wet?
Hello and welcome. I ride all year round too and I was commuting on mine in the snow and ice! They are fine in the wet but to be honest, that's mostly to do with what tyres you put on it. Even in the snow and ice I didn't have many scary moments... but I did have a couple :D
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience!