Hi from a new (hopefully) owner

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
sgoaty

Hi from a new (hopefully) owner

Post by sgoaty »

Hi

I'm Scott I'm 29 married with 2 kids and I'm a mechanic for an oil service company and live near Strichen in Aberdeenshire. I have had my bike license for 4 years. In that time I have had a few Kawasaki GPX750, Kawasaki GPZ1000RX, Suzuki Bandit 750, Kawasaki ZZR1100,Honda XR650R Bandit 1200 and I still have a 96 Suzuki RM250 (moto x bike) & 2006 Kawasaki ZZR1400 which ive had for just over 2 years.

I spend as much time tinkering as I do riding .

I went out for a run with one of my mates on his 98 firestorm at the end of the summer and we swapped bikes for a bit and I loved it I felt I could push the bike alot harder than my ZZR without being at silly speeds and found it great fun and very easy to ride. I decided id keep my eyes peeled for one as a second bike.

Ive just been offered a PX on one for my crosser so it looks very like by the end of the weekend i should be the proud owner of a pretty standard 99V in red with 34k.

Just thought I would say a quick hello before i start trawling the forum.

Scott
pinkyfloyd

Re: Hi from a new (hopefully) owner

Post by pinkyfloyd »

Welcome to the forum. As a recent joiner and storm owner myself I point you towards this thread of my very own which sums up the Storm nicely.
http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... 18&t=18386

Enjoy the bike when you get it. :thumbup:
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
steveb

Post by steveb »

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the Forum, like most on here I think you'll find lots of useful info, friendly users and importantly some guys with an incredibly good knowledge of the bike who can sort out pretty much any problem!!!

If you've started to trawl already you may have found the Storm is not without fault - CCT's - change them! The front one has a habit of failing with expensive consequences.
'Rider on a Storm' can supply you some manual ones which will last the lifetime of the bike and cost less than the Honda auto tensioners;

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 53&start=0

Also the rear linkage under near the bike where the exhaust passes can dry out due to the heat from the exhaust, worth a check down there. You probably wont need it but there's a 'how to' guide in the workshop knowledge base section.

There's lots of other stuff you can play with to improve the bike, but the above two are the most important I think.

Enjoy the bike, and let's hope spring arrives early!!
Cheers
Steve
Happy ridin'
-------------------------------------------------
98 Honda Firestorm in black for tarmac grin's
98 Yamaha WR250z for green lane grin's
-------------------------------------------------
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome to the forum Scott :thumbup:

A nice intro, and I must say an impressive amount of bikes in just four years.

Good advice from Steveb.
One other thing that needs taking care of is the rectifier. That is if it's not already been replaced with a finned type. The earlier 16ltr fuel tank Storms including '98 models had a non-finned type rectifier fitted as standard fitment. These were inclined to fail at some point in most cases because of over heating.

A lot of owners including myself have replaced them with a Yamaha R1 or R6 unit. See link below from "The Workshop Knowledgebase";-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5308

Fingers crossed for you on the deal with your RM250 :thumbup: do keep us posted :)

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Hi, there.
The Workshop Knowledgebase is your friend, all known facts about Storms are in there somewhere.

There's not much you can't do with one, once the cct, rr and a bit of basic maintenance is sorted, there's more power to come fairly cheaply and they're understressed so bulletproof.
Bits are cheap and easy to find, and they sound good as well.

And now you can pick them up for a grand and a bit, it's a wonder you don't see them more often!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
cupasoop
Site Admin

Post by cupasoop »

Fit like min :thumbup:
Rich.

sgoaty

Post by sgoaty »

Well I got her home.

It has been attacked with brake fluid at some point and the previos owner got the whole thing resprayed but when refitting one of the uppers the paint/filler cracked. Its under one of the honda badges at the front.

Other than that and needing some new bulbs in behind the clocks it seems pretty good so far.

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

looks a tidy one.
get a copy of the workshop manual from the link in the workshop section or carlsalter.com & get to know the bike intimately (without burning your Richard on the cans)
the bulbs are little g10 push ins same as anything else, just tug the rubbers out and you can get at them easy enough.

welcome - have fun :biggrin
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Looking good for 34K- seems it's been looked after.

Not sure why it should have filler if it's just been resprayed, though......
But why worry, you've got yourself a bike, enjoy it :thumbup:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

welcome in matey, bike looks tidy, get some cans to let her sing! :twisted:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
sgoaty

Post by sgoaty »

I think the brake fluid ate the panel a bit hence the filler. I am tempted to get some cans but she will probably excecute me if i go spending a fortune on it.
marravtr

Post by marravtr »

you can always drill out the baffels mate, theres a thread on it knocking about :wink:
4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul...........
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Scott,
Well done in getting the Storm, it's looks pretty good in the photo's :thumbup:

Chris.
sgoaty

Post by sgoaty »

marravtr wrote:you can always drill out the baffels mate, theres a thread on it knocking about :wink:
Theyve been done :)
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Hi and welcome :thumbup:
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost