Another bike, another forum!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
IanPowell

Another bike, another forum!

Post by IanPowell »

Hi everyone, just joined the forum so thought I'd say hi. Hi! :D

I became the proud owner of a firestorm on Friday, and so far love it. It's got character, it's alive and surprisingly nimble. My bike history's a bit mixed trying to find the mix of power, sound, comfort and handling which suits me and it's taken a while. Started with a virago 535 (twin) - too girly, then a 600 divvy... Way too boring. Triumph Daytona 595 - a race prep'd beast but too damned uncomfortable, it took 2 hands to operate the clutch, didn't like the riding position (from which I deduced that I'm not into the 'super sport' position) and flat refused to travel anywhere less than 100mph, and knowing how finicky the police are with such behaviour, we decided to part company. Bought a gsxf750, which I actually quite enjoyed as was a relaxing experience. Very heavy though, had to fight it around corners and just has that stigma attached to it.

So, saw a 98 storm for sale, 26k miles with blue flame cans and thought id go for it... Although was worried about the riding position. It's awesome! Ridiculously loud (which could get annoying after a bit) but for now... Together with the vibes and grunt... 'Intoxicating'.

1 issue noticed so far, slight blow on the exhaust.. Other, which I had no idea about before buying is the threat of it blowing up due the the apparently notorious ccts. 26 k mikes and 5 owners, I shouldn't be that worried? Right? But I am, and I know I should be going for the manuals, or somehow modding the standards, however, I use bikes occasionally, maybe 2-3k per year, so am going to gamble on replacing the autos with new ones, and playing the odds... I'm sure this topic has been done to death for a decade and a half, so I'll leave it there... For now :silent:

So that's me and my bikes. Will be along here for all sorts of advice I'm sure.

Cheers,
Ian
lumpyv

Re: Another bike, another forum!

Post by lumpyv »

welcome aboard ian. you have made a wise choice, they are great bikes.
for peace of mind I would get the ccts and r/r attended to, both have failed on my 17,000 miler but I was lucky both time to only suffer only minimal damage.

the guys on here are super helpfull/knowledgeable

:thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
magnum

Post by magnum »

Hi from suffolk :wave: I am with lumpyv on cct's my one went at 1600k lucky I had stopper mod.
"It may be yellow but it ain't no chicken"
macdee

Post by macdee »

hello and welcome Ian
what stigma is it you speak about was it teapot stigma :lol:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Welcome and if you keep standard ccts do the stopper mod .
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Hi Ian, welcome to the club. There are loads of posts in the workshop section laying out the many options for dealing with the regular foibles of the Storm, and the choice is yours as to how you deal with them. Just don't leave it in the hope "it won't happen to me".
The Storm is a blank canvas with many well trodden routes for modification, and a few mods not so often completed. Loud or quiet, bright or dark, the only God written truth about the marque is that Blue is the fastest, best and most sought after colour! :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Virt

Post by Virt »

Kev L wrote:the only God written truth about the marque is that Blue is the fastest, best and most sought after colour! :thumbup:

Among the pensioners, maybe!!

Welcome to the forum. You don't need to install new auto CCT's, you can just remove the current ones and do the stopper mod on them. Instructions are in the workshop/workshop manual section :thumbup:
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Hi Ian, Big Welcome to the Forum, I suppose everyone on here will try and bully you into fitting manual CCT's and go on about replacing the R/R for a finned one ,and how even new Honda CCT's are more than suspect...well take it from me there right, or at least do a stopper mod :thumbup:
.......Ride Safe ....ChrisC
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You don't need to install new auto CCT's, you can just remove the current ones and do the stopper mod on them
You don't need to right, but best to get new ones and do a stopper mod as they are a service item. Which is why many go for manuals.

We have had bikes that can go 100,000 on standard autos with no issues and we have had bikes with under 10,000 fail and smash valves up. Take your pick it's your choice which path you take but best not leave things to chance.

Ian you will find all relevant info and links in the Read Me For New Members below.

Welcome where about's are you based. :beer: :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

I think Ian is now in his garage.........doing the stopper mod :lol:
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

Hi and welcome to the nuthatch!

[quote/] the only God written truth about the marque is that Blue is the fastest, best and most sought after colour! :thumbup:[/quote]

Ain't that the truth! Can I here you say 'ay men' brothers!!!! :lol: :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Four wheels move the body,
Two wheels move the soul.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Ian :thumbup:

I think the CCT subject has had enough coverage already :wink:

Chris.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Hiya :wave: welcome to the nut house :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the forum ian, stopper mod is simple and free. Tell us where you are based and I am sure that someone might even be able to help you out
AMcQ
darkember

Post by darkember »

Hi there & welcome :wave: :wave: The fact that you don't ride many miles could impact the CCT more so than it you were doing many miles. So as said before get them done and then no more worries 8)