dreaded cct after 48hr ownership :-(

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

Hi all .
.After some persuasion from a few mates who all own and ride the firestorm I decided to look for a good condition low mileage model .After a few weeks searching I found 1 sold my zx10r and set about going for a slow casual ride to get used to the handling etc of the storm .
Approx 2 hrs in I hear a noise similar to a bag of spanners. Switched bike off came to a stop. Deciding it was best to get it home . After a few hours wait it's loaded up and taken home .
thinking I'll have a look to see what the problem is. .
The dreaded cct let go bending all 4 valves and bending 2 valve guides aswel as killing the piston .These were changed for oem honda auto tensioners only 4 months ago prior to ownership 800 miles ago .
Now thinking manual tensioners any thoughts ?? :confused
bigtwinthing

Re: dreaded cct after 48hr ownership :-(

Post by bigtwinthing »

Yep Manuals are the answer. No contest really.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

bending all 4 valves and bending 2 valve guides aswel as killing the piston
Wow that's a bit major, unusual for them to cause that amount of damage. You have been very unfortunate there. It's common for a couple of valves to get bent but you have really taken the full hit there. :thumbdown: It just goes to show even new tensioners off the shelf fail.

Manuals or stopper mod is the answer but what are you going to do about the damage. Repair or new engine. If it was just head work it would be simple, repair or transplant a used head on, I'm guessing it's the front that let go..

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

These were changed for oem honda auto tensioners only 4 months ago prior to ownership 800 miles ago .
Ouch! That's a record. The lowest milage before imploding I recall was about 7k. Have you got a receipt? You could try an experiment and take it up with dealer/Honda whoever sold em and whoever fitted them and see what they say. Otherwise as Karl says you've got to splash out on fixing the damage with a good strip down £££. Once the well known problem is fixed along with aftermarket manual CCTs, and the R/R is replaced with an improved version you'll find the storm a reliable and characterful ol' thumpy v-twin.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Watty

Post by Watty »

Not a great start mate :( , but you ain't the first and won't be the last :roll: . Manuals or stopper mod all the way :thumbup: As Wicky says be interesting to see what the Honda dealer says if you took it up with them :? Be shocked if they stood the repair though 8O
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

Manual tensioners seem to be a popular choice.
Any idea where is best to get hold of some ,
I've pulled the engine apart already and I'm in two minds to give it a transplant or rebuild cost pending but in some ways I'd prefer the rebuild option as I'll know what has and had not been done .
yes was the front cylinder that went . Wasn't going perticualy fast roughly 40 mph when the noise started and switched off immediately .
A bit gutted considering its taken a while to find a good 1 but just goes to show even bikes that have been maintained to a high level have issues .
Must admit I did smile the whole 2 hours while out on it
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

Still got the paperwork and invoices relating to both tensioners being changed from a honda main dealer at a cost of nearly 350 quid .
It's worth a shot taking it up with them they were changed at a a recorded mileage of 18396 now today mileage is 19168

I will try uploading a pic of the s shaped valves etc :-)
Last edited by monkeymatt on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

:thumbup: and let us know what they say to the imploding OEM CCTs
monkeymatt wrote:Still got the paperwork and invoices relating to both tensioners being changed from a honda main dealer at a cost of nearly 350 quid .
It's worth a shot taking it up with them they were changed at a a recorded mileage of 18396 now today mileage is 19168
Re Alternative ways of reliably maintaining Cam Chain Tension > *** Read Me for New Members *** > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p304638
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Bugger!

I had mine go on me too. Luckily mine caused no damage and just required minor tlc to get her back on the road again.

This forum has loads of friendly and helpful members that Im sure will offer you a hand if you need it.

Where are you based fella?
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

Based in Southampton Hampshire .
So plenty of nice rides through the new forest etc .
Still once it's all built up and back on the road ill be smiling again :-)
I'm sure I'll pick the brains of the members on here etc .
Full of useful info
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

really sorry to hear this . vtr1000 is a great bike and you have been very unlucky.

I would definitely have a go with the Honda dealer. I would hope 350 quids of repairs would last a bit longer than that. make out you don't know its a common fault and suggest that they supplied faulty tensioners in the first place?

mine went at tickover and did no damage at all :crazy:

hope you get it back up and running one way or another, you wont regret it :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

I'm glad I got a storm been reading lots of reviews and had a few rides of a few mates who love theirs .I'm sure I'll be grinning ear to ear soon again.
At least in the long run ill have a better idea what to look out for on the storms .
Hope it gets Fixed before the sunshine goes away for another 11 months haha
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

That's sh1t !
This is why new members get the 101 on ccts as you never know when they will let go.
One question ? How long ago were they replaced
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune Matt. Those auto cct's are a ferkin menace.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
monkeymatt

Post by monkeymatt »

The tensioners were replaced in October 2013 by honda