Hello from new member Mike TW9

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Mike TW9

Hello from new member Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Hi all,

I bought a 1998 reg black VTR in great condition as far as I can tell on Thurs. Just got back from my first motorway blast and am not disappointed! This is my first bike for 10 years, the last one's being Yamaha Diversion 600 & Suzuki GS500e. Back then I was sensible and cautious with my choice of bike but the VTR is my dream bike and compared to what I'm used to it's ridiculously powerful and with fun to match.

Reaching 50 posts could take me a while, but I expect I'll be back with some novice type questions. First issue is adjusting the height of the rear brake pedal downwards so it sits under my foot more comfortably, but I'll try the site search before enquiring formally.

Ditto second issue- It seems to run absolutely fine to me, but I'm pretty sure I suddenly started loosing power on the motorway earlier, causing me to take the exit worried it was about to conk out. It didn't & was idling just fine. I stopped for 5 mins in a petrol station & after that it seemed fine again, but I stuck to the A roads just in case. Must get some breakdown cover...

All the best!

Mike
agentpineapple

Re: Hello from new member Mike TW9

Post by agentpineapple »

welcome to the forum mike, tw9, ain't that heathrow-ish?
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Mike. 50 posts will come quick enough when you join in with the talking bollox brigade!!! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome .
If it starts to conk out again drop it 2 gears and open the throttle
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome
AMcQ
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

hello mik e , great choice of bike :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Welcome aboard mate :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Kev L wrote:Welcome to the club Mike. 50 posts will come quick enough when you join in with the talking bollox brigade!!! :lol:
Mmm! Might I fall into that category Kev :?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Mike :thumbup:

Chris.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Welcome M8 .. keep your eye on that... loss of power ,, issue
make sure the VTR... 1.it is well fuelled, no line vacuums/ sediment/crap about in lines
2. Oil level is found between the marks , 3.Watch that rectifier under the seat... if it is really hot it may well fry
and cause electrical problems... change it for the later finned type 4. Check battery / earth connections
5 Tyre presures 36//42 Fr / Rear..... as Honda spec
These are all simple things you can check ... good luck M8 :thumbup:
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Welcome M8 .. keep your eye on that... loss of power ,, issue
make sure the VTR... 1.it is well fuelled, no line vacuums/ sediment/crap about in lines
2. Oil level is found between the marks , 3.Watch that rectifier under the seat... if it is really hot it may well fry
and cause electrical problems... change it for the later finned type 4. Check battery / earth connections
5 Tyre presures 36//42 Fr / Rear..... as Honda spec
These are all simple things you can check ... good luck M8 :thumbup:
Mike TW9

Post by Mike TW9 »

Hi again,

Good to see what an active and friendly forum this is!

Yes, I'm in the Richmond area. Shame the roads and traffic are shite round here.

Thanks for the advice on loss of power. I was hoping it might just have not liked the gear I was in at low revs.

A simple site search found me the info. I needed to adjust the brake pedal height. I just hadn't realised that the spindle turns by rotating the nut above the lock nut. Being 6 foot 1 or so I've had to adjust it to the limit. Haven't ridden it again yet, but think it should feel about right now.

I've probably done about 100 miles so far & noticed the chain already could do with a tighten- moving it by hand it can clank the exhaust pipe. Must get some lube too and work out how people keep chains lubed and clean looking at the same time.

And another priority- get a profile pic of my bike up!

I'll be back...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

is there much play in the chain once your sitting on the bike?
its not unusual for the chain to hit the linkpipe when no one is sitting on the bike.
and yes London is crap for bikes, at least your not far away from box hill mate.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
darkember

Post by darkember »

Clanking the exhaust is normal if you are moving it with your hand. Best test is to push it forwards not sitting on it and if it clanks then it is on the loose side. Note: It will clank when you roll it backwards this is normal.

One point not mentioned have you checked if you have modded or manual ccts this is quite important. As for the loss of power when in the wrong gear. Yes these bikes are lumpy at slow speeds and can suck in so much air and fuel causing them to stall a little embarrassing at times 8O .

Otherwise they are pretty well bulletproof provided you keep up the basic maintenance such as oils and greasing the rear linkage.

BTW welcome :wave: :wave: