New in New Zealand

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Cadbury64

New in New Zealand

Post by Cadbury64 »

Hello All

I've just bought a 1997 VTR with 70000km on it. This is a Japanese market model imported here in 2011, and I bought it complement my other Honda, a 1999 VFR800. So far I've only ridden the bike 200 km home from where I bought it (so I know where the fuel cap is...) and have started to launch into fix-up mode with a strip and clean, replaced a broken tail light lens, ordered a new air filter, APE MCCTs, and will strip and paint some manky fork lowers. At least the tyres chain and sprockets look good. The bike rides and runs very straight and has good standard pipes and front cowl, but the back cowl is very faded and the front guard has a big glued up crack. Still all good for the price and a good way to wile away spare moments.
[img]http://s629.photobucket.com/user/Cadbur ... sort=3&o=0[/img]
Looking forward to accessing the collective wisdom that is very apparent here.

Best regards
Terry
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
agentpineapple

Re: New in New Zealand

Post by agentpineapple »

welcome to the forum terry, keep your eyes open for Jamie hazelton, he's cycling around zeeland as we speak, he'll be able to help you... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Code: Select all

[img]http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu15/Cadbury64/IMG_1311.jpg[/img]

Greetings - have a read through the *** Read Me for New Members *** http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 23&t=31345

esp the Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications , to see what else needs fettling on top of MCCTs i.e. R/R

and yes put Jamie in your garage and out the rain as he cycles by, give him a spanner and he'll fix your mods.
Last edited by Wicky on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Watty

Post by Watty »

agentpineapple wrote:welcome to the forum terry, keep your eyes open for Jamie hazelton, he's cycling around zeeland as we speak, he'll be able to help you... :thumbup:
Or corrupt you :lol: Welcome to the mad house :crazy:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Watty wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:welcome to the forum terry, keep your eyes open for Jamie hazelton, he's cycling around zeeland as we speak, he'll be able to help you... :thumbup:
Or corrupt you :lol: Welcome to the mad house :crazy:
he might even show you some pictures of his mum.... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

welcome aboard mate. loads of people seem to have a vtr and a vfr ?.

as already mentioned if you see a lanky bloke with a beard on a pushbike who answers to the name of Jamie , stop him and give him a cup of tea. :lol:

he is a firestorm expert.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Terry :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Welcome to the forum. As a Jap import that bike will be restricted. You may want to consider changing the Ignition Control Module.

:beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Hello and welcome and we have a ever growing number of members in NZ :thumbup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maggot

Post by maggot »

Welcome to the forum these guys are a friendly helpful bunch :)
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Welcome along sir!

(just like to thank the above members for helping me scrounge a night's sleep under a roof) :lol:

Where roughly are you in NZ?

Bike looks a goodun' and I've seen more Firestorms here than any other bike! (if you exclude nobs on Harleys - they tend to ride like idiots too)

If you want a hand with anything send a courier for me with a 6ft 2" sturdy box :thumbup:
Jamie :wave:
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Thank you all for your kind wishes.

The internet is a dangerous place for separating fact from fiction, but I had read that the 180 km/hr Jap restriction is driven from the speedo and that disconnecting a single wire (pink/green?) would allow me to go even faster (not something I would want very often). Is that not correct?

I have peered down the inlets and can see that the throttle bore is slightly restricted (about 5mm) but thought that was common to all models.

I am new to the VTR so please correct me gently!

As a VFR owner I am well aware of the R/R issues! Hasn't happened to me but I do have a voltmeter mounted just in case.

I live in Auckland but although opinions vary, hardly "roughly". Jamie thank you for the offer of help, but figuring stuff out for myself is all part of the fun. Or is your butt sore (don't answer that!) and you just wanted to be shipped closer to an international airport? I doubt you'd fit through my letterbox anyway.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

the 180 km/hr Jap restriction is driven from the speedo and that disconnecting a single wire (pink/green?) would allow me to go even faster
I believe your right there is something to modify with the speedo but that's only for the speedo reading. The speedo wont affect the engine output.

Later models have the carb inlet restrictions as they get called. I'm not convinced that they restrict output but IMO I think they are there to either speed up airflow/velocity and/or help prevent intake reversion. Possibly connected with the carb cough/fart these bikes get.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Thanks Carl.

That picture is just what I see down the inlets on my bike. I would have taken a picture but both hands were fully occupied lifting the carb slide and holding the throttle open!

I must confess getting beyond 180 has little appeal but I will have to check it out (on a closed road and only in the interest of science of course).

I do know for a fact all the Jap 400's were restricted via the speedo; above that speed a circuit was closed, a warning light came on and then the ECU stopped the party.

From what I read the VTR sounds much the same.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Hi :wave:

Auckland Kiwi as well. Im in Glen Eden.

Few of us here and there is a local VTR Facebook page as well.