I am just Checking In

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Big_Jim59

Re: I am just Checking In

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I actually had glaucoma doctor tell me mom "we don't let people go blind." I could have punched his head soft for that. I guess he didn't read her chart where it said she had macular degeneration as well as glaucoma and it was just a matter of time. We did the dance and jumped through the doctor's hoops because we had to do everything we could even when we knew there was no point. The doctors made good money though. I am not bitter much.

Speaking of the elections can we talk you guys into coming over here and taking over the voting or at least watching the polls? We need outsiders with no ax to grind. No one trust anyone now and with good reason. The Democrats rigged their own primary and at the moment they are in charge of the government. We had a Democrat Virginia state governor who tried to pardon 200,000 inmates so they could vote! (convicted felons lose their voting rights in this country) It's something about the social contract. Anyway it's getting nasty.

My dad is a sweetie. He has dementia and it both makes you confused and lowers your inhibitions. My mom and dad are in the same facility but not in the same room. My dad isn't sure if he is still married or if my mom has remarried. He hangs out with my mom and knows who she is but he also has a girl friend that he introduces as his girl friend. They have been caught on several occasions playing patty fingers. This arrangement works primary because my mom is blind. At least he is having fun and finding companionship. Like everything else in life, if you live long enough your relationship will fall apart like your brain.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I have signed up (and paid my fee) to go down to South Texas, the last weekend in October. It is the MSTA (Motorcycle Sport Touring Association) 2016 Texas Hill Country Rally. They are gathering in Kerrville, TX and they are going to ride the "Three Twisted Sisters." The Twisted Sisters is a convergence of three state highways and they take you through some truly bizarre Texas landscape. It's mountains but it's more than that. It's deep dry washes and fantastic tight corners. I have never been to one of these events but I think I need to get away for a while. It is about 320 miles down there. I will leave Friday and have a leisurely ride down. I'll post a report when I get back.

http://www.ridetexas.com/the-twisted-sisters/

Since I will be taking the VFR and not the VTR (for comfort sake) I started by checking it over, changing the oil, servicing the chain and the like. The coolant tank was down below the "low" line and I thought Oh oh! Something is wrong and something was. At first I thought it was the water pump o-ring. I replaced that with no change. It turns out the pump was weeping from the seal and it is a non rebuildible item from Honda. I have one on order. I also bought a new Michelin Pilot Road 4 tire for the front. The old Dunlop front was done for.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Jim, it's horrible watching your parents deteriorate as they grow older, although we are blessed/lucky whichever way you look at it to have them with us for so long if they make a good age, not everybody gets that chance. It's just heart breaking to see how they were when they were healthy and now no longer healthy, without us being able to do very much to make them better.
My Mum like yours also has macular degeneration. Losing your sight must be one of the most hardest things to live with, I cannot imagine how I would be if I lost my sight. Sight is so precious, and something so easily taken for granted when it's working properly,

Chris.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I don't know which is worse, to lose them quickly or to watch them go by slow degrees. It's funny about my mom. To her every day is Sunday, every meal is breakfast and it's almost Christmas. Like a broken clock she will be right eventually. She lost her sight just about the time her mind started to fade. There is just a thimble full of my mom left. She sleeps most of the time and has a hard time staying awake. She "sees" things. They are not there but her mind shows her things so I don't feel like she feels that she has lost her sight. I think it is easier for her since she is not using her sight much.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Reading your struggles helps me with mine here Jim, I hope your mum finds peace.

As you can imagine, I have been reflecting on the same question, sudden loss vs watching the person you knew disappear slowly in front of you, and I think sudden is the better of the 2 but it leaves more turmoil after the event.

We are all At an age now where we will have to tread this path (or already have) with our parents and it is never going to be easy.
Stay strong jim
AMcQ
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Thanks for the kind words. It's not just watching the decline, it's having to watch their brains betray them. Both my mom and dad are both becoming people what would appall them if they knew.

I managed to get away and go riding over the weekend. I rode down to South Texas to ride the Three Twisted Sisters. These are three very twisty roads, in a dry rock canyon setting, that make a loop starting and ending in Leaky Texas. The weather was perfect. It was hot in the sun and cool in the wind. The leaves had not turned colors because they never do in Texas but the feel of fall was in the air and fallen leaves were blowing around.

The big excitement of the trip was I almost hit as deer and by “almost “ I do mean ALMOST. The speed limits are all over 70mph and I was doing every bit of that. Off to my right a doe materialized out of the grass and sprang across the road in front of me. (It was like my dog does when she darts into the kitchen a head of me trying to trip and kill me in the process.) I did everything wrong. I froze on the bars, I didn’t reach for the brake and I got target fixation. I remember being focused on her hind quarters and actually aiming for her back legs. I had no idea what was going through my mine. I narrowly missed her and I could have tweaked her tail if I was so inclined. This proves you can still ride badly and have a happy ending.

It was a bit under 900 miles round trip so I got some seat time. Bear in mind that I did this ride all within the borders of the state of Texas and never once got close to the edge. I started back on Saturday and I got to within 100 miles of home before I called it quits for the night. Did the last 100 miles as an easy morning ride skirting the edges of Dallas

I rode the Yellow Honda VFR800 and not the VTR. The VTR was just too uncomfortable over those distances and the peanut tank would have left me stranded.

This is kind of what it looks like down there but the pictures don't do it justice.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Looks like a pretty good weekend to me Jim :thumbup:
The only bits of Texas I have ever seen have been flat, straight and hot :!: (Down south) And I'd not bother with a bike for that. I'd want aircon, a radio and a cover to keep the sun off my head. You know what I mean, one of those 4 wheel thingies :wink:
But I could certainly be persuaded to go for a run around that route :P :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Texas is as diverse as they come. We have pine forests in the east, flat boring hot plains in the west. Down south, around Austin, is the Hill Country with some of the best riding roads anywhere. If you want adventure riding you can head to Big Bend for mountains and desert. You can always find a good road in Texas.

And you are correct. If you are headed for Midland/Odessa in the summer you want a big comfortable truck with powerful A/C.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Just had a look on Google maps. Some of that scenery is fantastic :thumbup:
I've only been up and down between Houston and Galveston. I haven't been anywhere or seen anything compared to the size of the rest of it :lol:
You could probably fit England into it 5 times over :crazy:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Pete.L wrote:Just had a look on Google maps. Some of that scenery is fantastic :thumbup:
I've only been up and down between Houston and Galveston. I haven't been anywhere or seen anything compared to the size of the rest of it :lol:

"galveston oh Galvaston" great record :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Pete.L wrote:Just had a look on Google maps. Some of that scenery is fantastic :thumbup:
Yep, about 5 times is just about right. There are some very lush green spots in Texas but mostly it is amazingly hot in summer and bitter cold in winter and our native plants have three inch thorns.

bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

Pete.L wrote:Sorry to hear about your father Jim.
Our thoughts and support is with you. Quite a few of us have all been through or have this on the horizon. It's not nice but we have to get through it as best we can. Stay strong Buddy :thumbup:
If you need a little light relief we'll be here to support you, take the pi$$, ridicule or hand out a virtual hug :wink:

All the best
Pete.l
thinking of you, if you want the pi$$ taken out of you just post a picture of your bike, the colour alone will keep us going :)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Along with a Pink Teddy :biggrin Glad you managed to get away and have a break from things Jim. Close call with the deer It always makes me grin when you guys talk about 70mph I honestly don't know how you can stick to 55 especially if on the VTR, that's a back breaking speed over a distance. 50mph for us is where they slow things down on motorways, that's the interstate to you :wink: for what they call traffic calming. 70 is our national speed limit on those roads but it not uncommon to be doing just under a tonne....or more if one wants to take a risk of loosing their license. 30mph or more over the speed limit of the road can get one an instant ban.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good on you Jim for getting out on the VFR, no doubt it did you good to be concentrating on something you enjoy for a change. Impressive mileage too :thumbup:
Thanks for posting the lovely scenery photo's :D

Chris.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

cybercarl wrote:Along with a Pink Teddy :biggrin Glad you managed to get away and have a break from things Jim. Close call with the deer It always makes me grin when you guys talk about 70mph I honestly don't know how you can stick to 55 especially if on the VTR, that's a back breaking speed over a distance. 50mph for us is where they slow things down on motorways, that's the interstate to you :wink: for what they call traffic calming. 70 is our national speed limit on those roads but it not uncommon to be doing just under a tonne....or more if one wants to take a risk of loosing their license. 30mph or more over the speed limit of the road can get one an instant ban.
When I said "The speed limits are all over 70mph and I was doing every bit of that." I mean that I was in the 80+ range. Most roads around here are 70 or 75 but they are broken up by stretches of 45 through small towns along the way that act as speed traps. I knew there were deer about and I was really riding too fast for those conditions. We don't have a national police force so you have state troopers, county sheriffs and local cops all with the authority to cite you. No matter what their jurisdiction, they all get pretty excited at speeds over the tonne.

By the way, I think the biggest difference between these roads, and what you are used to (other than the fact that you ride on the WRONG SIDE) is the lack of traffic. Even I was shocked at they how few cars and motorcycles there were on certain stretches. The roads down there connect nowhere to nowhere and there are usually faster roads to use if you actually want to get there fast.

I am glad you brought up my bear. :biggrin That is my traveling buddy. He serves two purposes 1) He is my alter ego. He represents my true essence of silly fun and I really need that. 2) He is also my anti-skull motorcycle culture thing. Around here it seems that everyone has a leather vest and a skull somewhere on their person or bike. I guess this is to look "biker tough." For me, I prefer a smiling bear to appear tough. (I think the whole biker tough persona is just strange.) I only had one older lady ask about my riding buddy and she was a non-rider. It made her smile so it was worth it. I guess the guys I met were afraid to ask.

This trip did help my mood and my feelings. Life does go on. It doesn't stop because it is winding down for others. Life is precious and it actually is a choice to smile and be happy. Motorcycle riding helps too!