New member from Denmark!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
fabiostar

Re: New member from Denmark!

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along to the club :thumbup: . get a nice set of open cans so you can hear the sound a v twin should make :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

SKMXL wrote:
Don't know what you mean by running rich?
We refer to it's "running rich" when the engine (combustion chamber) is burning to much fuel to the amount of air mixed with it in the carburetors. Going the other way "running lean" means it doesn't have enough fuel mixed with the air. You don't want it running rich or running lean, you want it somewhere in between the two, although slightly on the rich side is preferred to being on the lean side.

By the way welcome aboard :thumbup:

Chris.
SKMXL

Post by SKMXL »

sirch345 wrote:
SKMXL wrote:
We refer to it's "running rich" when the engine (combustion chamber) is burning to much fuel to the amount of air mixed with it in the carburetors. Going the other way "running lean" means it doesn't have enough fuel mixed with the air. You don't want it running rich or running lean, you want it somewhere in between the two, although slightly on the rich side is preferred to being on the lean side.

Chris.
Thanks!! Shouldn't that be possible with the kn filter to get in running in between?
Drive safe!
Watty

Post by Watty »

SKMXL wrote:
sirch345 wrote:
SKMXL wrote:

Chris.
Thanks!! Shouldn't that be possible with the kn filter to get in running in between?
Not impossible, but.......................!!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

SKMXL wrote:
Greeetings - Post some pics of your new Storm beastie. I was fortunate a few years back to be taken under the wing of some Danes at Assen and they shared with me the cost and hassle in taxes for bikes in Denmark in comparison to the rest of Europe, but you've chosen a good reliable (when sorted) long term versatile and fun bike.

K&N, Dynojet Kit, Micron (NFRU) Cans > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 36&t=28029

A K&N gives a bit more but it needs pairing up with a free flowing exhaust and rejetting and some dyno time too get it approaching anything what is claimed. Plus it will have a detrimental effect on fuel consumption on an already thirsty bike. While fitting a K&N on an inline4 will easily free up extra horsies its a lot more difficult & inconsistent on the V-Twin Storm and most folk revert to a standard filter for all round best performance.

If you haven't already waded through it I recommend you have a good read through the introductory 'Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications' > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p304638
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
SKMXL

Post by SKMXL »

Yes the taxes on bikes in Denmark are crazy!

Maybe I just should stick to the standard filter and maybe buy a new of those.

How many km/l do your bikes get?

Pictures will come, just need time to look at a uploading page. :)
Drive safe!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome... Fitting loud pipes is a must, nobody likes a quiet V twin :thumbup:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

lloydie wrote:
SKMXL wrote:
Watty wrote:Welcome aboard and bin the K&N! More bother than its worth! Standard all the way :thumbup:
That's not good! I already bought the kn filter. :?

The r/r on the early models fail , check to see if yours has cooking Fins ,if it has it should be ok but it's also worth while checking the output .
Don't mention cooking Finns to a Dane! It may get lost in translation.
I. Still don't understand the phobia about changing main jets down one size and adjusting fuel screws to suit.
It's not exactly difficult, and that will get you about right for a k&n.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
SKMXL

Post by SKMXL »

Think i Got it right with the Finn :-p

So you think that kn is alright without the big dyno fight? And more fuel consumption?
Drive safe!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

you can try to play just with main jet sizes and pilot screw settings as Tony.Mon wrote. The rest is better to leave as it is. I just don´t understand why they advise to go one size down, because me thinks it should goes size up as with any other aftermarket filter on VTR.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

SKMXL wrote:
sirch345 wrote:
SKMXL wrote:

Chris.
A few have succeeded, but many have given up trying and returned to a standard air filter, or a slightly less free flowing air filter than the K&N.
Stephan wrote:you can try to play just with main jet sizes and pilot screw settings as Tony.Mon wrote. The rest is better to leave as it is. I just don´t understand why they advise to go one size down, because me thinks it should goes size up as with any other aftermarket filter on VTR.
I thought the same on the jet sizes :eh:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

The issue with the k&n was to try and get rid of the power dip at 5000 rpm, never quite got it fixed so I went with a bmc street filter, have the same top end as k&n and the mid range of stock and no dip in the middle :thumbup:
AMcQ
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

AMCQ46 wrote:The issue with the k&n was to try and get rid of the power dip at 5000 rpm, never quite got it fixed so I went with a bmc street filter, have the same top end as k&n and the mid range of stock and no dip in the middle :thumbup:
I had the same power dip with BMC street filter. It was probably due to lack of experience, and I believe KN is tuneable as well.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's odd but true that a K+N allows more air in,so you would think it needs bigger jets. But the reverse seems to be true- check out the open airbox threads for evidence.
The more air you let in- bigger airbox volume, open up the snorkel,the smaller the main.

Never did work out why, and as you say on all other bikes it works the "normal" way round, but these are a little- different.....

Anyone that's followed mine chucking out rich fumes will know- and mine was down to 168/170/172's in the end, with the Flo-Commander on.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

not sure about open airbox and flo commander (I will try this setup in spring), but I changed only air filter twice - BMC and Pipercross, and both affected mixture to run lean. I believe that stage1 from Roger D with open airbox configuration uses bigger mains as well, but with plugged air jets - flo commander will be different story.