Cam Chain(?) noise

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
paulp3333

Cam Chain(?) noise

Post by paulp3333 »

Hi
Just bought a '97 model VTR1000 with 65,000km.

When sitting on a steady speed, sometimes there is a noise that sounds like a chain slipping noise and I can feel the vibration in my groin.
Seems like it's coming from the motor. Only does in on a steady speed. Seems ok when accelerating or decelerating.
"Feels" like a cam chain slipping but that would affect the timing, wouldn't it?

Adjusted the drive chain and there are no kinks in it.

I know that cam chain adjusters on these are always suss and thinking of replacing them with manual adjusters to see if it makes the (chain) noise go away. However, from what I have read, auto adjusters mainly stuff up when backing off from high revs.

Just want to get rid of the chain slipping noise before I spend any more time or money on it.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what the noise might be and whether or not fitting manual cam adjusters might get rid of the noise?
Remember, it only happens when sitting on a steady speed.

Cheers
Paul
VTR Phoenix

Re: Cam Chain(?) noise

Post by VTR Phoenix »

If the cam chain was slipping, you'd soon know about it and you wouldn't be going anywhere. If it has auto ccts then swop them out for mccts. See if that sorts the noise. Could be worn cam chain that will rattle a little. Since it cant be the cam chain slipping and you say you've adjusted the drive chain (how much slack do you have in the drive chain?) have you checked the sprockets? Could be carb balance issue, could be loose motor mounts as the resonance at certain frequencies will cause vibrations, could be blowing headers that you hear more at certain rpm's. Is it speed or rev range specific? Do you lose speed (bogs down), revs rise (with no speed increase), is it when changing gear, hard accelerating, coming off the throttle So many things it could be with the limited info given.

Maybe start it and see if it makes the same noise while revving through the rev range but don't red line without load on the engine, not good for it.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Welcome to the forum.You will get good advice here to sort the problem out.I would look at cct's and cam chain It's difficult to tell with the info given.Good luck with it anyway. :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
paulp3333

Post by paulp3333 »

Thanks VTR Phoenix.

Just went out to the shed and ran it for a while.
The noise seems mostly when holding the revs steady between 2 and 3 thousand rpm.
Under 2 thousand or over 3 thousand it seems fine.
It seems ok when revving or dropping revs.

When it occurs, it has a minor splutter and a vibration (that feels like a chain slipping).

When it happens while riding on the road, it gives a brief stutter but doesn't lose power. Again, it's only sometimes when holding it at a steady speed/revs. I noticed it happens (when holding steady speed) at the speed limit which is 2 to 3 thousand revs in 2nd or 3rd gear.

The most worrying thing is that it feels like a chain grinding.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

When it occurs, it has a minor splutter
This sounds like carb fart - quite normal. Adjust idle to a level where it won't stall in low speed turns.
The most worrying thing is that it feels like a chain grinding.
Where abouts are you based? Maybe meet up with a forum member to take a shuftie.

Highly recommend you address OEM auto CCTs ASAP - maybe not related as CCT failure is black and whte - either the bike runs fine or implodes without warning when front CCT spring fails relieving cam chain tension allowing cam chain to hop, skip & jump... cue noise of food blender filled with nuts and bolts noise.
Last edited by Wicky on Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
macdee

Post by macdee »

hello and welcome
the ccts need sorting one way or the other so if you fit manuals or do the stopper mod that would eliminate them for the equation
is the chain well oiled
told you not to but oh no you knew better
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Are your carbs synchronized properly? Are the carbs slides sticking or stiff? A stumble would indicate a fuelling issue, the noise could be the carb slides vibrating. To check you would need to remove the two front bolts from the tank, loosen the rear bolt (don't remove) prop it up, remove top of air box, remove filter, removeair stacks and you should see the slides. Run the bike and listen and watch the carb slides see if it's it time with when they move.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
paulp3333

Post by paulp3333 »

It's not the drive chain or sprockets, it happens while stationary (when holding steady between 2 and 3 thousand revs).
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Sounds like carb farts.Mine and all other storms do it.I eliminated a lot of mine by adjusting tick over to 1100/1200 rpm.and syncing carbs.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
paulp3333

Post by paulp3333 »

Will try some of the suggestions over the weekend.
macdee

Post by macdee »

try pulling the clutch lever as well and see if theirs a change in noise
i need to sort my carbs as well similar problems to you :thumbup:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The front cam chain is tightened up with the standard CCT's at approx 3,000rpm when the rev's are coming back down from higher rev's. I'm not sure if this is happening on your bike (fitting manual CCT's as already been suggested would tell you if it is), but I've known a front standard CCT to stick (most likely the spring is getting weak and could be on the way out) and not take up the slack as it would have done when it was working properly. This means the cam chain is now in more of a slack state than it would normally be, so it's slapping about in the cam tunnel. As I said, this is only when the rev's are at approx 3,000 rpm or lower,

Chris.
paulp3333

Post by paulp3333 »

That makes sense Chris.
But it only makes the noise while holding steady revs between 2 and 3 thousand revs. When backing off or accelerating everything is fine.
I guess the best idea would be to install manual cam tensioners and see if that fixes it. I can check other things while I have the gear off while installing the manual tensioners (carbs, valve clearances on the rear cylinder etc.).

Has anyone tried the chinese tensioners that are selling on Ebay?
They are only $76 (AUD) delivered compared to Krieger ones for double the price (AUD).
But the Chinese ones are both the same length which would mean more work to adjust the front cylinder later (would require removing the tank etc. or the (radiator?) hose next the the front adjuster).
Also the Chinese ones are advertising them as "'98-2005 models".
Do the '97 models use the same tensioners? (the sellers don't seem to know).
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Tensioners are same for all the years - Try Rob de Hoo (exhausist) from Holland as he's Krieger's European distributer - or there's Bazza in Essex who does auto converted to manuals.

http://exhausist.com
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
paulp3333

Post by paulp3333 »

Thanks Wicky.
I'm in Australia and I looked up both websites and Krieger is about the same price as exhaustist for me in Australia.

Wondering if the Chinese ones are any good or not.
If they will do the job, I would rather pay $77 than $150.