New member finally upgraded from CB500 ; )

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
jchesshyre

New member finally upgraded from CB500 ; )

Post by jchesshyre »

Hello! I've been reading a lot of stuff on here since I got my red '98 VTR1000 a month ago and thought it was time I said hello.

I've been riding since 2002 and since 2008 have been bazzing around on a CB500, well two in fact - I put 145,000 miles on the first one and got another which I put 45,000 on. I loved the bike(s) to bits but have finally decided to upgrade. I had to have a twin and have been vaguely thinking about the Firestorm for some time but thought it was a bit less practical (which it is) which put me off. But I've finally caved and got myself a lovely red one with 29,000 on the clock. I absolutely love it to bits!

So far I've put a pair of Fuel silencers on it, changed all fluids, replaced clutch master and slave seals, changed the air filter, and synced the carbs and adjusted the pilot mixture. I've yet to open the carbs so it'll be interesting to see if the jets are original or not. I have a faint feeling they're not as it seems to need just under one turn out on the pilot screws which suggests it's maybe had bigger pilot jets fitted. Anyway it runs beautifully. I've also ordered a very nice pair of MCCTs (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252424687355) which of course I shall be fitting ASAP.

The one really annoying problem it had was the (relatively) famous clutch squeal and grab when attempting to pull away with anything more than about 2.5k to 3k rpms. Well, yesterday I took the clutch apart to replace the clutch springs with some EBC ones, but in the process I found that the anti-judder spring and seat were between the final friction plate and plain plate, rather than right at the back. The clutch works beautifully now so I'm very happy!
countrymick

Re: New member finally upgraded from CB500 ; )

Post by countrymick »

sounds like your on top of things sir,welcome to the mad house. :thumbup:
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Welcome sir, man that's some mileage on a bike, doubt I've got near that in 40 odd years. Well done.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello & welcome to the forum. :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club mate just the reg/rec and the colour to sort out then! :wave:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Haha well black would have been my first choice but the red gets 9/10 for me : )

Thanks for the warm reception. One other thing I've done is set the TPS as low as possible but it's still 600 ohms ...might get round to taking it right down to 500 one day.

Very, very pleased with how this engine drives and how the bike handles...and the brakes. I've also invested in some Hagon fork springs and some HEL brake lines, to be installed soon. It also needs a new chain which I've ordered...I seem to be spending rather a lot on it to get it nice, which is fine although I'll have to try and limit how much I ride it now that I'm getting 35-40mpg instead of 50-55 on the CB.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along to the forum sir. get some pics up so we can have a gander at it. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I've just cleaned and polished it actually so here are a couple:
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

oh my,thats novel..not a single bin in site.we could be going up market gents :lol: :lol: nice bike sir :thumbup:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

What's wrong with the left side? Apart from being pink I mean, obviously. :wave:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Take no notice of the colour digs, they're only jealous because theirs isn't red :lol:
A very clean and tidy looking bike you have there 8)

Probably a little late now as the damage will have been done, but the original shock protector should have been removed when the rear huggar was fitted. You'll probably find it has rubbed the hugger, as it goes up and down with the swingarm, the original shock protector doesn't move :problem:

Chris.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Some chunky bits of stone showing in your wall what part of the world do you inhabit. D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Aq you got a nice clean one there. Hope you enjoy the extra power and forgive it the poor fuel consumption :beer:
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

what part of the world do you inhabit.
I would take a guess that it may be Cheshire going by the username.

You could be the first to use those particular MCCT's on here. Lots of pics and info on them would be good when you get around to fitting them. I'm curious to how they work and why they supply the key. I would also be interested to see the illustrated fitting instructions. Nice clean bike you have there. Welcome to the forum :beer:
==============================Enter the Darkside