New member finally upgraded from CB500 ; )

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
macdee

Re: New member finally upgraded from CB500 ; )

Post by macdee »

jchesshyre wrote:Well, I finally got round to fitting these tensioners yesterday having done two trips down to London and back (400 mile round trip) in the meantime. At last my mind can rest a bit now on journeys like that.

Massive thanks to cybercarl for the brilliant instructions for changing tensioners which I was very grateful to have.

A quick question - I'm aware that the engine will sound a little different with MCCTs vs autos but I'm not sure if I have mine set a tad loose. I measured 6-7mm of up and down play in the camchain centre run but I can hear a little chain noise even when the bike's fully warmed up, especially under load around 3k rpm. I'd barely even call it a rattle - just noise, definitely from the camchain(s), that wasn't there before. I'm wondering if I could do with nipping them up a tiny bit more or whether this is normal. Obviously there's the usual problem of trying to describe sounds in writing...don't spose any members with MCCTs fitted live in the North Wales or Cheshire area who could have a quick listen to my engine?

Here's a picture of one of the CCTs in situ: Image
Well done that man for taking the chance on these new mcct
They look great and the o rings on the shaft are a great feature
I wonder are the shafts manufactured by the seller or have they found a ready made shaft for something else
told you not to but oh no you knew better
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

...reading again, the instruction sheet supplied with these auto ccts (in jchessyres photos), it says ''ensure the MCCT is orientated the correct way...''

Erm....I thought they could only go in one way? That being where de bolts go... :think: I'm currently looking at the machine space between the bolt hole on the body of the MCCT, and the recessed oil ring - by gawd...there's only a gnats chuff between them. Is that not a bit too close? Right....I'm-a-gonna shut the hell up about this. Me minds made up - if buying MCCTs, then these will be chosen.

All I gotta do now, is hope that buisness picks up this end, so I can raise funds in order to buy me new tyres and these MCCTs. These cold nights don't attract many folk to the harbour, and I'm losing trade y'know. And I thought the perks of the cold weather would cause trade to be brisk, cos me elbow would be puckered up tighter. But, hey-ho.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Personally I like to use a paper (or whatever it's made from) type gasket myself rather than silicone, olde skool I guess . / **EDIT**
...I've just had a closer look at these CCT's...it looks like that "O" ring on the CCT body could be recessed, in which case not a good idea to use a paper style gasket as well IMO.
Thanks for that Chris - Yes, I am old school too when it comes to Gaskets. The large O ring is indeed recessed, but why would it NOT be a good idea to use an OEM paper gasket alongside it? I cannot see a disadvantage (my head isn't running on all cylinders at present, so maybe I'm overlooking something...)
Dave, In my way of thinking I just can't see an "O" ring and standard CCT gasket working well together in making a seal, only my personal opinion. I feel it should be either one or the other, not both, using both just goes against the grain so-to-speak for me. Things like, is the gasket going to go over the "O" ring completely or only partially (there could be problems there), is there going to be a gap under the gasket made by the raised "O" ring until the CCT is fitted, I'm probably the one over thinking it now :lol:
May be using both together will work okay and prove my thoughts wrong :eh:
TheGingerBeardMan wrote:...reading again, the instruction sheet supplied with these auto ccts (in jchessyres photos), it says ''ensure the MCCT is orientated the correct way...''
The CCT's will only fit one way, if you don't have them the correct way around the bolt holes don't line up with the engine casings, that sounds like what the seller is talking about to me,

Chris.
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Like the half blind guy who's just had laser surgery....

''AHHHH!!, I SEE!!...It's all getting clearer.....''
:thumbup:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:Like the half blind guy who's just had laser surgery....

''AHHHH!!, I SEE!!...It's all getting clearer.....''
:thumbup:
:lol: :thumbup:

Chris.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Hello all, sorry, had forgotten about this post so wasn't monitoring it!

I have not used any kind of gasket or sealant and I don't have a single drop of oil from these tensioners.

There is a large o-ring on the body of the unit, to perform the function of the OEM paper gasket, as well as two on the bolt itself. They seem to work very well.

I must say I was a little concerned at the locknut undoing but I check them almost every time I ride the bike (which is every day more or less even in the recent bollock-freezing weather – I still love it even when it's like that) and have a dab of nail varnish on there to make any movement obvious...and they're not moving. I've done 10,000 miles since I installed them. I guess the size of the locknut enables a pretty hefty bit of torque to be applied, enough for the teeth to dig in enough to the aluminium body. It still worries me a bit though...

I'm still getting a bit of rattling, sometimes at idle and also especially around 3000rpm, even when fully warmed up, but not the same sound of actual chain rattle which I hear (and expect to hear) for a minute or two after a cold start. I think I'll nip them up an eighth or quarter turn this weekend when I investigate the small coolant leak I have (see Workshop section). Really I'd like to do it by measuring the freeplay, as I did with the initial setup (7mm) which is why I trust that the bit of rattling I'm getting is OK, but I guess a tiny bit won't hurt and I know what to listen for to indicate that they're too tight.

Regarding the price of these, I agree that they're a little pricey, but I decided that it's a one-off purchase for a bike which I hope to take to 100,000 miles and beyond and decided it was worth it for the apparent sturdy build quality and intelligent seal design, etc.
macdee

Post by macdee »

Good man getting this done and for the report on the new mcct
If your taking you tank etc off then as you say go the full hog and check the slack in the chain
Then you can be confident it's right and get down to riding the bike
These Bikes tend to sound a bit different thats something you have to get used to I guess
What colour of nail varnish did you use , it's important lol
Last edited by macdee on Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
told you not to but oh no you knew better
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Haha, red to match the rest of the bike, of course. I bought it specially from Boots.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

To get rid of that rattle, with the engine warmed up, adjust onwards half a flat at a time, nipping up the locking each time.
When you hear the slight rattle disappear, you'vyou've got it.
If engine revs drop you've gone too far.

You won't need to take the cam covers off.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Will do so this weekend : )

I'm a bit unsure as to how to reach the front tensioner because of the coolant hose that's in the way but I know this has come up before on this board so will do some searching.

I should add, since this is still in The Welcome Inn – I'm absolutely in love with my Firestorm. I never had this feeling about my CB500 despite covering many, many miles on it and being very fond of it. Almost every time I ride the VTR, which is most days, I find myself thinking or even saying out loud 'what a fantastic engine/machine' - LOL. It's just absolutely the bike I've always been looking for - acceleration you can rely on all the time, nice simple mechanics, and still feels like quite a little bike even for 5'7" me which is important to me - I want it to feel like a bike not a boat. And all this despite the fact that I haven't even replaced my rear shock yet with the Hagon one that's sitting in my garage which, if posts on here are to be believed, will make it feel like a new bike. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: