New member finally upgraded from CB500 ; )

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Shauned71

Re: New member finally upgraded from CB500 ; )

Post by Shauned71 »

Heya :wave: welcome to the forums :thumbup:
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

I agree the tensioners are on the pricey side but there are several reasons why I decided to go for them. Firstly when I was looking on ebay, the majority of the tensioners available were of the long threaded bolt type. All the ones available were also either around £30 each, or else cheaper but with postage that added up to around the same price. The cheapest I could find were £22.61 each but were from Hong Kong and looked reeeally cheap. All the options on ebay had some form of anodised coloured body which I really dislike the look of (not that they're that visible on this bike but I just think they look cheap and tacky) and I thought the apparent good workmanship of the ones I went for plus their integral oil seals made them a good bet. And they're made of plain aluminium, as far as I can tell, and just seem more of a properly finished and designed product (backstreet notwithstanding) than many of the others available which mostly seem a bit toy-like in comparison. I'm sure they all do a good job though but the solid construction of these just give me that much more peace of mind and satisfaction.

I suppose (?) it's worth bearing in mind that currently the OEM tensioners cost £99.19 EACH from Lings, £62 each from David Silver Spares, and £44 each from Partzilla (plus P&P in all three cases) so these are still a much cheaper option and have the advantages of having integral seals plus obviously not grenading one's engine.

Anyhow I don't feel I've been ripped off...perhaps I should have looked elsewhere than ebay!
Last edited by jchesshyre on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Did you look at Bazza's recycled MCCTs or Krirger's US MCCTs available direct from Rob de Hoo in the Netherlands?
Last edited by Wicky on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote:
Anyhow I don't feel I've been ripped off...perhaps I should have looked elsewhere than ebay!
I don't think you've been ripped off either, there's a fair amount of work gone into making those,

Chris.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

They look the bees knees to me. And as I have to pay to get a lot of machining done in work I know how much time can be involved in small quantity builds.
I think they are a good price for the quality.
Good find. It's nice to have alternatives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

Well, I finally got round to fitting these tensioners yesterday having done two trips down to London and back (400 mile round trip) in the meantime. At last my mind can rest a bit now on journeys like that.

Massive thanks to cybercarl for the brilliant instructions for changing tensioners which I was very grateful to have.

A quick question - I'm aware that the engine will sound a little different with MCCTs vs autos but I'm not sure if I have mine set a tad loose. I measured 6-7mm of up and down play in the camchain centre run but I can hear a little chain noise even when the bike's fully warmed up, especially under load around 3k rpm. I'd barely even call it a rattle - just noise, definitely from the camchain(s), that wasn't there before. I'm wondering if I could do with nipping them up a tiny bit more or whether this is normal. Obviously there's the usual problem of trying to describe sounds in writing...don't spose any members with MCCTs fitted live in the North Wales or Cheshire area who could have a quick listen to my engine?

Here's a picture of one of the CCTs in situ: Image
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

If it's just a very light rattle I'd try nipping them up about an 8th to a 1/4 of a turn and then have another listen.
I set mine with a slight tinkle when cold but it disappeared when warm. If you set them too tight there will be a screeching sound on start up.

Is it coming from just one pot or both. As you now know, the front can be a bit of a pain to get at.

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

now...THESE look nice, and almost OEM factory designed. I was always a bit ''turned off'' at the threaded bolt scenario, as the manufacturer of these stated ''they look cheap''. And with loads of people now selling MCCTS for the Storm (China/Germany/USA/UK etc), it's not easy to know what type of threaded bolt they have used, or what their welding is like. (is it a cheap, down yer local DIY store for a bulk buy of bolts?)

I dunno. My OEM ccts were replaced......with another set of OEM ccts.

I will admit, my ears have been subjected to a few scary noises on the odd occasion. One was enough for me to pull over to find out where it came from. By the time I (quickly) came to halt, there was no noise, and it hasn't done it since. (Bikes been ridden about 2000 miles since...some pottering at 55-60, and other times taking her up past the 130 mark to blow the spiders oot the back.

However, replacing them with manuals is something I have shied away from. NOT from cost, as looking at these, I would happily pay that price. As someone said...it's cheaper than a grenaded engine.

I clicked the link for the seller on ebay (although I don't do ebay), and see that they are no longer available.

Shame, as I would seriously consider getting me a pair.

Having a read of the instructions in the pics provided, it ''sounds'' so easy (yeah...EVERYthing always sounds easy...in theory).

Can I ask about the ACCTS here? - it states on the guys advert that with the 2 oil ring seals, there is no need for a CCT paper gasket.

Would it help my mind if one was fitted anyway? As this would help seal any flaws or uneveness in the base of the CCT where it mates with the casing.

Call it overkill, but it's not gonna affect the performance and will only take up not even half a thread turn.

My '99 Storm is now coming up to 43,500 miles. OEM CCTS replaced about 20,000 miles ago (give or take as I can't remember the exact milage they were done), so they ARE long overdue to be replaced again.

And I like these, and the so-called ''simplicity'' of replacing them - especially now there is a wee ''key'' to aid the rapidly failing brain cells, along with the shite finger dexterity with knackered joints and nerve damage.

Many thanks to Jchessyre for the excellent pics and instructions.
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Would it help my mind if one was fitted anyway? As this would help seal any flaws or uneveness in the base of the CCT where it mates withy the casing.
Just use some silicone liquid gasket. Same goes for normal manual bolt type tensioners, some silicone on the threads as it enters the body prevents oil working its way up & out - cheaper & just as effective than the new snazzy expensive design.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
However, replacing them with manuals is something I have shyed away from. NOT from cost, as looking at these, I would happily pay that price. As someone said...it's cheaper than a grenaded engine.

I cli8cked the link for the seller on ebay (although I don't do ebay), and see that they are no longer available.

Shame, as I would seriously consider getting me a pair.

Having a read of the instructions in the pics provided, it ''sounds'' so easy (yeah...EVERYthing always sounds easy in theory.

Can I ask about the ACCTS here - it states on the guys advert that with the 2 oil ring seals, there is no need for a CCT paper gasket.

Would it help my mind if one was fitted anyway? As this would help seal any flaws or uneveness in the base of the CCT where it mates withy the casing.

Call it overkill, but it's not gonna affect the performance and will only take up not even half a thread turn.

My '99 Storm is now coming up to 43,500 miles. OEM CCTS replaced about 20,000 miles ago (give or take as I can't remember the exact milage they were done), so they ARE long overdue to be replaced again.

And I like these, and the so-called ''simplicity'' of replacing them - especially now there is a wee ''key'' to aid the rapidly failing brain cells, along with the shite finger dexterity with knackered joints and nerve damage.

Many thanks to Jchessyre for the excellent pics and instructions.
They are still available from the same seller. I'm not sure why you couldn't get to an active sales advert from the link on page (1):-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-VTR1000 ... Sw-itXsJQX

As for a using a CCT gasket, a lot on here say they only use silicone instant gasket instead. Personally I like to use a paper (or whatever it's made from) type gasket myself rather than silicone, olde skool I guess :lol:
I can't see why you couldn't use both "O" ring and paper gasket if you so wished.

The two "O" ring oil seals he mentions are on the plunger part which is internally, nothing to do with the "O" ring on the mating surface between the CCT and engine casings.

Chris.

**EDIT**
Scrap that, I've just had a closer look at these CCT's, I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like that "O" ring on the CCT body could be recessed, in which case not a good idea to use a paper style gasket as well IMO.
TheGingerBeardMan

sirch345 wrote:Personally I like to use a paper (or whatever it's made from) type gasket myself rather than silicone, olde skool I guess . / **EDIT**
...I've just had a closer look at these CCT's...it looks like that "O" ring on the CCT body could be recessed, in which case not a good idea to use a paper style gasket as well IMO.
Thanks for that Chris - Yes, I am old school too when it comes to Gaskets. The large O ring is indeed recessed, but why would it NOT be a good idea to use an OEM paper gasket alongside it? I cannot see a disadvantage (my head isn't running on all cylinders at present, so maybe I'm overlooking something...)

Whilst I appreciate the simplicity of the cheaper manual tensioners, my eyes are drawn to the ''better looking'' engineered ones. I think they look better on the outside, instead of having a large threaded bolt sticking out....and what with the polished steel adjuster rod, with 2 oil se3als, it just looks a lot more professional and (to me), worth the extra few quid. But, alas, they are gonna have to wait as well due to finances (or lack of).

When I clicked the ebay link, it said ''the seller has relisted the item''...so, I clicked that....and the same message, so clicked again....then ''this listing has ended.''

But, THIS link you prvided Chris took me straight to them. Muchus Thankius.

As I do not do ebay (don't like them), I still look through it, and sometimes, if it's a company, they have the contact details at the bottom. If they do, and I want or need something, I email them asking if they have other options to buy, or can I buy direct over the phone with the VISA card. 99% of them are happy to trade that way. At £36.99 EACH, I'd happily offer £70 for the pair with free postage thrown in.

But, for this guy and his ACCTs, there are no contact details. Unless someone has the guys name or an invoice with business details that can be forwarded to me?

And I ain't going back checking for spelling mistakes. The last post was full of them. Sorry for all members of the Punctuation and Grammar Police.

TheGingerBeardMan

...looking at the photo of the flanged lock nut supplied, it doesn't look to be a Nyloc serrated lock nut - which is the only thing I'd replace it with - cos how well is that serrated nut going to lock on the smooth polished surface? I might replace it with a normal spring washer, backed up with a nyloc nut. After all, how often are you gonna be adjusting the ccts? 2 or 3 times a year depending on wear and bike use? Replacing Nyloc nuts each time is just pennies. I'd just hate the thought of the supplied serrated nut undoing itself later down the road.

Yeah, this is where y'all are gonna come back with threadlock....or this silicone stuff again! :think: 8)

Call me paranoid, and maybe looking for faults that aren't there (am I over analyzing? Or forget the -yzing...should that be read: am I over anal....?) :Shrug:

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

2 or 3 times a year depending on wear and bike use?
My manuals are as I set them 30,000 miles ago...
Call me paranoid, and maybe looking for faults that aren't there (am I over analyzing?
While they look snazzy - at £78 inc p&p a pair that's twice the price of a pair of Bazza, Krieger, Ade MCCTS! i.e a bucket load of mince pies and whisky!, and you can't see em when riding but if you're a form over function kinda guy it's your choice. If you want a standard look then there's the option to use Bazza's that use the stock converted tensioner body.

Plus it'd interesting to read in advance the fitting instructions for the new style tensioners as existing well documented instructions are geared towards fitting bolt style manual tensioner.

TheGingerBeardMan

Many thanks for the feedback and input Wicky - Much appreciated. :thumbup: Yes, They are a tad overpriced I agree. I'm not always a form over function guy, in fact, mostly the opposite. I like simple things that work or do the job they're designed to do. (a bit like the women in my life :twisted: :lol: ) - But, there's just something about these that would make me spend the extra. No offence to all the other guys on here that make 'em at a fraction of the cost, and I daresay those were the mutts nuts for ages - afterall...yer all still using them with no failures - But now, the design has been revamped, tweaked, polished and refined to a ''classier'' looking product, they appeal to me more than the other ones, even though they're almost on par with OEM manual adjusters when it comes to price. (Backs away slowly as the spanners start flying in my direction..... :shifty: :silent: )

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

GBM,
I like the concept of auto CCTs and I like the factory look and would not want a coach bolt stuck out of the rear cyl......... I am also tighter than an otters bumflap, so I chose the stopper mod.

it is the best of all worlds............ just get it done :D
AMcQ