Im the new guy from NI

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
j4weeson

Im the new guy from NI

Post by j4weeson »

Just bought a 99 firestorm in red, 17000miles, 1 prev owner from new and im based in N.I. Was led to believe these were great bikes until i had a sneaky snoop on here. Oh how ignorance bliss!! Living in fear now :?
VTR Phoenix

Re: Im the new guy from NI

Post by VTR Phoenix »

They are great bikes just needs a few tweaks here and there. If it's one owner from new then the mods might have already been done.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

They're a keeper mate, honest. You need to get the CCT's and Reg/rec sorted as a necessity but everything else is just for jollies :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
j4weeson

Post by j4weeson »

yea its the CCT that has me worried and ill probably head down the stopper mod route. As for the reg/rec ill have a look around the forum and see where it leads me.
I'm also looking for a set of pipes so if you know anyone with a set could you point them in my direction as i cant post or email in the for sale bit just yet :shifty:

Thanks in advance
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum.Get them cct's and r/r sorted and you will have a bike with the fun factor of 10/10.I myself am trying to locate a mosfet r/r at this minute and just about to post on here where i can get one. :thumbup: :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

hello and welcome......... do the stopper mod and then just ride it .... fast
AMcQ
j4weeson

Post by j4weeson »

Just out of curiosity, how many vtr have failed because of cct failure? and was it the front or rear that failed?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

CCT's will 80% of the time fail on the front, but there is no set probability or mileage for failure. if the bike has been stood along time that can be worse than a daily ride.

that being said, I have stopper mods on my engine, so it has the Honda CCT still working with a failsafe, and it has not let go over 50,000miles, and Hawk over in USA has got 100,000miles but he replaces the std CCT at service intervals.

BUT

there are plenty of people on here who have had failures on their bikes, some at very low mileage, and some with new CCTs fitted.

I rode my bike for 5 yrs before I started reading up on the CCTs and did the stopper mod, but I don't want to be the guy who told you it would be OK. Ultimately the stopper mod is a 3hr job for somebody who is good with the spanners and for that peace of mind it should be top of your list of jobs
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

And as for how many failures there are too many.

Welcome to the forum. :beer: We have a few NI boys on here so I'm sure they will be able to lend a hand if you get stuck.
==============================Enter the Darkside
j4weeson

Post by j4weeson »

It's always good to hear that there is a few guys based in NI. Groups are usually few and far between. I will probably have use guys tortured with Q's.

Have many stopper mod cct's failed and been ok?

Was talking to local Honda mechanic and he reckons only high mileage bikes suffer from cct failure so they should be changed at some point. Finally he said that the vtr can suffer from main bearing failure behind the clutch which means the engine needs to be split horizontally. Not an easy task i would imagine
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Honda mechanic is talking crap on both subjects so ignore him.

But to answer your other question , yes the stopper mod has been proven to work when the cct Spring fails, and although the cam chain is a bit rattley you can keep riding the bike as it isn't slack enough to jump teeth.
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

hows things sir. where abouts in the country are you? im up at carrick. believe me get the cct sorted and it will be the most fun you can have on two wheels :thumbup: .
if your in doubt talk to Geoff Kernahan he sorted mine out for me.

get it out on the road, theres me and a few guys go out most weeks for a we jaunt.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
j4weeson

Post by j4weeson »

im not far from yourself then as im down in ballyclare! Yes the seed has been planted about the cct so im constantly thinking if its going to break :sad2

wheres this Geoff guy located? Is he a hard guy to pay? Did he do the manual cct or stopper mod?

I have probably seen you around as a vtr always caught my eye
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Stay away from Fabiostar, he is a bad influence [and incontinent], we used to ride round with dayglo highvis vests on and not go above 70mph till he joined the rides.

now we have to go slower as he always needs to stop to service his chain,

stop for food or an icecream 99

or go for a sh1t [like poring a can of Tango down the bog]
:Toilet1:
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

lmfao ...b8stard lol :clap: :clap: .

im only down the road from you... Geoff kernahan mototcycles on the newtownards road in belfast. he knows his hondas and is easy to pay, he sorted mine out after mine had a little boo boo. iv manuals...

when i find my phone il pm you my number and arrange a run out hows that
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: