Whats Next

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
strekev

Whats Next

Post by strekev »

Right here we go.
Bought a T plate VTR a month ago , it had been sitting in a garage for the past 7 years waiting to have a disc lock left on story resolved.
The guy had all the bits to repair this and a new chain and sprocket set , but didn't have time on his side. I asked a friend to apply his skills as a bike technician on the issues and within days had the bike running and the front discs replaced in addition to this he fitted the chain and sprocket. The bike walked through the MOT on Saturday , so insured and taxed I went out for a spin.
Now older carb bikes have a bit more connection with the rider , sound and feel ran through my body , not since I rode my ZX7 five years ago haveI grinned so much.
The bike has a few niggles that need sorting and input would be welcome.
Fuel tank has rust inside notably around the filler hole.
Tyres need a serious change as they've been on the bike for 8 year and a modern set would help with the lack of adhesion.
Front end is soft under breaking , seals intact but needs firming up.
The usual oil and service component changes would start the ball rolling with how the bike sounds and performs.
So insight from the owners would be welcome.
Wicky

Re: Whats Next

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

Good to hear another Storm beastie has been resurrected. At least service the front forks and add some aftermarket springs & fresh oil / ultimately get them 'Rogered'

"Rogered Forks" http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32480

http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk

Upgrade R/R and CCTs ASAP before they bite you in the elbow, Service the rear shock swing arm linkage bearings, check the starter motor terminal under the rubber hood for corrosion (keep it greased up). Fix the tank rust pronto - there's a fuel filter up inside the tank on the fuel tap but you don't want crap getting in the carbs.

*** Read Me for New Members *** > Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p304638

The Workshop Knowledgebase > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=31
Last edited by Wicky on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

My insight:
Yep do all of the above.

If the tank is by any chance a 19 litre one, it's worth getting it repainted, but on a t plate it would be a 16 litre as standard. Your choice is to repaint or look out for a decent secondhand one.

Check cam chain tensioners (CCT's) to see if they are standard or have been changed for manuals. Sitting all that time will have allowed condensation to form around the front one's spring, which you can't see by looking at it but will leave it weakened and prone to failure.
Have a look in the Workshop Knowledgebase for more info. Similarly have a look at the info on Regulator/Rectifier failures, they don't go all the time but if it fails you will easily kill a battery, so for peace of mind fit a mosfet one.

Have you fitted a new battery?
Sitting for that long will have not done it any favours, so keep an eye on starting problems- you don't want to be left stranded anywhere.

The front is always a bit soft as standard on these, especially if you weigh more than the average Japanese tester..... You can get the forks rebuilt, but now that the bikes aren't worth much it's possibly not worth doing in financial terms. But as an alternative, you can fit a set of fork springs and some new fluid and that helps a lot, it is enough for road use for most people.

Lastly, it would do no harm to strip the carbs and ultrasonic clean all of the jets, unless the PO thought to run it dry before storing it- unlikely from what you've said.

Then get some miles on it!
There's a forum meetup weekend soon in Wales in a couple of weeks, if you're in that part of the country or fancy a trip out, you're welcome to drop in or come for the whole weekend.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along.. and pretty much what the guys have said^^^^^^^^
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Nothing more to be said except welcome to the forum. :thumbup: :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
strekev

Post by strekev »

Thanks for the info , the suspension linkage was a goner and was replaced, but the cam tensioner is a good call.
I'll check out the links and go from there, thank you all.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well done in saving another one :clap:

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club matey
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the team........ as long as its yellow you don't need to do too much to it beyond what is mentioned above. any other colour and it will need a respray
AMcQ
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Welcome to one of the best forums on the net :beer:
==============================Enter the Darkside
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Hello and welcome inn :thumbup:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

tony.mon wrote:My insight:
The front is always a bit soft as standard on these, especially if you weigh more than the average Japanese tester..... You can get the forks rebuilt, but now that the bikes aren't worth much it's possibly not worth doing in financial terms. But as an alternative, you can fit a set of fork springs and some new fluid and that helps a lot, it is enough for road use for most people.
This is the only bit I disagree with. I ran standard forks for 18 months and recently changed to "Rogered" forks. The difference is major. Best thing I've ever done to the bike. New springs and oil will be a bit cheaper but getting them done professionally takes away any worries and for just over two hundred notes it's seriously good value.

Otherwise, I agree with everything else said.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Well it's the oil and springs that make the biggest difference but the extra revolution tweeks Roger adds is the icing on the cake. And you right for the money it's a bargain especially as that includes the parts and he polishes up the stanchions. Best £200 spent on these bikes. :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

VTRDark wrote:Well it's the oil and springs that make the biggest difference but the extra revolution tweeks Roger adds is the icing on the cake. And you right for the money it's a bargain especially as that includes the parts and he polishes up the stanchions. Best £200 spent on these bikes. :thumbup:
hi there.
sorting out the terrible from end on my newly purchase firestorm,.
along with new discs, wheel bearings, new tyre, new headstock tapered bearings the forks are also dead soft bottom out on any major speed bumps or potholes- very unpleasant experience and I'm sure bot good for the rest of the fronted when it knocks so harshly.
so anyway i need to sort for as cheap possible.
do you have details/contct details of roger who rebuilt the stiffer and improved?
thanks,
Mat.
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk