Hi guys

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
diponio2

Hi guys

Post by diponio2 »

Hi All,
Im Tony and own my first firestorm, absolutely amazing bike, i bought it cheap as its not the prettiest thing but with a bit of work it'll be a bike i keep forever.
first job was the obvious oil and filter along with a wash, that went very well then i decided to replace the CCT'S and this is where its all going wrong! I've replaced both tensioners but the front slipped a couple of teeth, i have set them and put everything back together only to have a flat battery, used a boost pack to fire the thing up and somethings not right, it'll start but not tick over unless i hold a rpm and it sounds a little spluttery, any ideas from you guys in the know would be greatly appreciated at this point.
VTRDark

Re: Hi guys

Post by VTRDark »

Check you put the vacuum line back on in the right place on the petcock. It does not go on the bottom at 6 o clock but to the side at 3 o clock on the frame side. :wink: See link for new members below you will find all the info there.

Welcome to forum. :beer:
==============================Enter the Darkside
diponio2

Post by diponio2 »

Thanks for the reply, i have 4 coming off mine left and right to the carb plus a vac pipe at 3 oclock and i think its a vent pipe at 6 oclock but cant find a decent picture to double check, i will also do a compression test tomorrow just to make sure everythings ok
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nothing should be connected at 6 o clock. You have the two fuel lines either side and the vaccum just behind the fuel line at 3. You may heave the fuel tank breather connected at 6.

diponio2

Post by diponio2 »

Must be a breather like you say, its now been removed and ill fire it up tomorrow :thumbup:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club mate :beer:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir :wave:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
diponio2

Post by diponio2 »

Checked over the petcock, the pipe at 6 oclock is just a breather pipe that runs to the front of the bike.
The 2 short air pipes from the carbs to the air box were off! No idea how i missed that, i have also checked the timing again and had someone else check to make sureits right lol, i dont have the right plug spanner so cant compression test which is the next check to make sure the valves are holding, well thats after i put a few things back on the bike, little pxxsed off because i had to replace the inspection covers and one needs replacing again now.
Anyone know the plug size? I have a 10 and a 14 but neither fit
diponio2

Post by diponio2 »

Compression tested :? Its not holding on the front cylinder! Gutted, is replacing the valves a hard job?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

hello and welcome :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Tony :thumbup:

Replacing the valves is not that difficult to do providing the valve guides are not damaged, if they are cracked at the base which you will be able to see once the bent valves have been removed, it will probably be cheaper to find a replacement cylinder head. If the valves are only slightly bent the chances are the valves guides will have survived.

This link will show you what damaged valve guides look like, plus other information that you made need:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 30#p429684

Chris.
diponio2

Post by diponio2 »

Thanks for the link chris.
I will pull the head off when I get chance and rebuild it, its a bike i'll keep for a long time so might as well
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

sirch345 wrote:Welcome aboard Tony :thumbup:

Replacing the valves is not that difficult to do providing the valve guides are not damaged, if they are cracked at the base which you will be able to see once the bent valves have been removed, it will probably be cheaper to find a replacement cylinder head. If the valves are only slightly bent the chances are the valves guides will have survived.

This link will show you what damaged valve guides look like, plus other information that you made need:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 30#p429684

Chris.
It wont be cheaper if its a front head. They're hens teeth.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You must have some spare Hens teeth Tony. Didn't one keel over recently :lol: :lol:
popularh14

Post by popularh14 »

Hello & welcome. You'll find great craic and advice in here!!