What to look for when buying

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
KatanaKid

What to look for when buying

Post by KatanaKid »

Hello all,

I've been reading the forum for a few weeks and have been impressed with how helpful everyone is on here.

Going to look at a VTR tomorrow and was wondering if I could get some info on what to look out for. The bike has been sitting for a couple of years and the guy said the brakes have become 'spongy'. He said the cam chain tensioners had failed and the engine was repaired at a cost of $1800, but i didn't ask about the rectifier. it's unregistered so probably won't be able to go for a ride. Should I be too concerned about the brakes? Would they be a relatively easy fix? What about the motor? Should that be a concern? Sorry about the many questions, I haven't had a bike for about ten years, and never a Honda before, although i used to get around on my mates VF500 and had lots of fun on it

Cheers
Maybe swearing will help
Cadbury64

Re: What to look for when buying

Post by Cadbury64 »

Welcome!

Spongy brakes may only need bleeding, which is very easy to do and costs nothing. Or you might have an opportunity for an upgrade (=CBR954 brakes from eBay). Make sure the brakes have no shudder caused by a bent disc. If you can't ride, get a helper to lean the bike over on the sidestand to elevate the front wheel, and give that a spin to see that it rotates smoothly without the brakes binding on/off.

If the CCTs failed then it is possible/likely that the piston and valves collided, so I would want some proof that new parts were installed, and preferably manual CCTs as well; these have an external thread and locknut, the OEM parts just have a blanking bolt visible. VTRs are mechanically noisy but the top ends should be fairly quiet.

Rectifiers are not a big deal/cost to replace.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Thanks for the tips Cadbury. Are spares easy to come by, for example new front discs? Hope he has receipts for the rebuild. Shouldn't get too ahead of myself here, it's been a long time between bikes..
Maybe swearing will help
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

There are a number of members from your side of the world,and they don't seem to have a problem getting all they need in the way of spares.Brakes will be an easy fix if you bleed them as there's probably air in lines,and the fluid could do with a change anyway.Just look for proof that cct's and valve work has been done.If it don't rattle on start up then it has more than likely been sorted.See if there is a receipt for engine work done.These bikes are great to ride and will bring a big grin to your face every time you feel that torquey engine pull.Hello and welcome to the forum.Enjoy. :thumbup: :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Here's couple of links worth looking at regarding what to look for if you've not already seen them, although some info will vary from country to country:-

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 18&t=39231
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 18&t=28969

Depending on how often the bike has been started in the last two years it's been standing, you may need to strip the carbs and clean the jets etc, as they may be gummed up. Good luck,

Chris.
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Wow thanks guys, that's all great information. Now I'm feeling a bit nervy about the whole thing the closer tomorrow is. I'm bringing a mate who is very sensible to bring me back down to earth if the shiny red paint and growling engine suck me in. Probably my biggest concern is the engine rebuild after the implosion and I'll listen carefully on start up. I'm making a list of things to look at as mentioned in your posts and I'll bring my torch and air pressure gauge and a cigar just in case...
Maybe swearing will help
hallie

Post by hallie »

Will be in sydney next month if you need any help
TIP; Never take a sleeping pill and laxative on the same night
http://morrisonbhp.net/
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

hallie wrote:Will be in sydney next month if you need any help

Hello to hallie from Cork! My mum is from Wexford, heard all about the hurling rivalry :) Would be great thanks, I'm not too far from Sydney. How long you down for?
Maybe swearing will help
hallie

Post by hallie »

KatanaKid wrote:
hallie wrote:Will be in sydney next month if you need any help

Hello to hallie from Cork! My mum is from Wexford, heard all about the hurling rivalry :) Would be great thanks, I'm not too far from Sydney. How long you down for?
Im originally from waterford so that makes the rivalry better lol. Will be there for a week. Just a flying visit.
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Aww nice. Here's to you enjoying yourself. It's a long way to come for just a week. My mum went back home a couple of months ago, she hasn't lived there for over 45 years but says it still feels great and her old neighbour recognised her..
Maybe swearing will help
hallie

Post by hallie »

KatanaKid wrote:Aww nice. Here's to you enjoying yourself. It's a long way to come for just a week. My mum went back home a couple of months ago, she hasn't lived there for over 45 years but says it still feels great and her old neighbour recognised her..
Ya long haul but needs must :thumbup:
If you need anything looked at while I'm there let me know
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

I went and had a look, did my best to hide my excitement and found a few things that need attention:

In short, front discs, oil weep, CCT's stock units, running nicely but idling high and slight back fire on acceleration

Front discs are a little glazed and rough so would need replacing soonish, brakes a little spongy but not too bad. Front wheel spins ok.

There is a slight oil weep coming down the sidestand that the owner said has always been there. Might be easy fix? No drips on the ground that I could see.

Engine was idling high at around 2500, he turned the screw on the carby and it dropped down. Carbies may need service? It backfired once or twice when revved but the top end was nice and quiet.

CCT's have been replaced with what looks like stock units when engine rebuilt so would need to be changed.

what do you guys think? Easy fixes?

Cheers
Maybe swearing will help
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

seems ok, if its cheap enough, and you can do the bits that need sorting , its up to you, buy it :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

KatanaKid wrote:
There is a slight oil weep coming down the sidestand that the owner said has always been there. Might be easy fix? No drips on the ground that I could see.
Not usual for oil leaks from that location - though lube from chain can lead to dribbles from there - or a leaking clutch slave of hydraulic fluid can present that way.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KatanaKid

Post by KatanaKid »

Wicky wrote:
KatanaKid wrote:
Not usual for oil leaks from that location - though lube from chain can lead to dribbles from there - or a leaking clutch slave of hydraulic fluid can present that way.
Thanks Wicky, I probably should have paid more attention to that weep and what it was and from where. The engine oil looked clean and this was dirty looking. Maybe it was dirty from sitting on the side stand, which was down, the bike was sitting upright on a rear wheel stand. looked a bit oilydirty around the left crankcase near the gear shifter. If my terminology is correct.
Maybe swearing will help