Hi all new stormer

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
robertisinoz

Hi all new stormer

Post by robertisinoz »

Hi all
Got myself a VTR the other month and loving it. It’s not my daily ride have got a Suzuki DL1000 for that so I’m used to twins, this is more of a toy to tinker with and do a few track days or a blast through the hills without the wife on the back. The bike had been lying up for a few years and has nearly 90k km on the clock so had to do a few jobs to get it road ready. Striped and cleaned the carbs all standard jet sizes, restrictors still in place. Striped and cleaned the brake calipers and master cylinders. New pads all round and a new rear disc also cleaned the clutch master and slave cylinder and fitted steel lines to the front brakes. Have fitted new springs to the front forks to suit my slim 110kg but waiting for new seals and bushes before doing a full rebuild and the mods listed on the site. Thing still to do are the CCT’s, still got on autos I’ll probably convert them myself to manuals. One thing I have done is lighten the flywheel but found some strange things so thought ide tell you about it. Striped down the fly wheel. No drama getting it off, just bought a bolt ($5) with the right thread screwed it in, nipped it up and taped the end and off it pops. Striped down all the bits off it and weighed it and took a couple of pictures.
ImageNote the number of balance holes and location. 3.3kg

So I took it to work and put it in the lathe, I’m a fitter turner by trade. I clocked the face and the OD true. To my surprise I found the bore to be running out by 0.2mm TIR. So I turned it to size then decided to turn up a mandrel to skim all the diameters and faces true to the bore. So once I done that I thought I’d put the mandrel on some rollers to check the balance. I never checked the balance before I started so don’t know how well it was balanced to start with. But I did find that there was a heave side to it. So I drilled a few holes in the face until it was balanced. (ignore the dimple by itself) see how close them holes are to where the original ones were. So I weighted it again 2.6kg that a loss of 0.7kg or 21% lighter. I put it all back together and went for a blast round the doors the good news is it works. Never noticed much difference round the doors as I couldn’t thrash it. Will have to wait until a go back to the local circuit for a track day.

Things I still want to do is move the raditior to under the seat and trim the fairing down to show more of the engine off.

So thanks for all the info I have found on the forum.

Robert Charlton
2002 Honda VTR1000
2006 Suzuki DL1000
Past Bikes
Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha RD350LC, Suzuki Freewind650, Suzuki Bandit600
alanfjones1411

Re: Hi all new stormer

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum Robert.There's loads of good advice from a lot of knowledgeable people here. :thumbup: :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Nice work!

Not sure about moving the rads though. Not much room under the seat for two of them or one bigger one. Plus they run hot at low speeds and need the fan. That's in England, SA can be a little hotter....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good machining skills...... shame you don't live in the correct island :D
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir.. :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
cotgrave

Post by cotgrave »

Welcome :D
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That has to be one of the best introductions we have had in a long time. You can take a little more off the flywheel if you wanted but not too much or you will have Iron fillings all over the place :lol:

You may want to add some info to the following thread. :thumbup:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... t=flywheel

Welcome to the forum :beer:
==============================Enter the Darkside
macdee

Post by macdee »

Looking good so far
Welcome to the club
Check out the threads on cct and R/R the two main problems
told you not to but oh no you knew better
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Robert :thumbup:

A crackin' first post :clap:

Chris.
robertisinoz

Post by robertisinoz »

I have realised that I had not added a picture of the bike so here is one.
2002 Honda VTR1000
2006 Suzuki DL1000
Past Bikes
Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha RD350LC, Suzuki Freewind650, Suzuki Bandit600
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Oooo a Matte Black later model. Get them CCT's changed or modded. You could do with some nice cans on there too. :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside