new member to the fold

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
fourelms

new member to the fold

Post by fourelms »

Hi guys, great site you have here :cool2

Been looking for a Firestorm for sometime now (months) and struggled to find a really clean one with documented service history, not been down the road, a lot seem to fallen into rough hands as the prices have fallen. My list was shorter than most, it had to be a late 'Phase 1' in Jerez Blue with the Silver wheels as this was the first combo that caught my eye with the VTR's back in Spain.

My first V twin, although I've owned owned over forty bikes, new, old and classic, from sports bikes, oldball stuff, track day bikes, enduro, MX and trials. I mainly now do track days and trials, rarely ride on the roads as my wife isn't too happy in this respect, too much history there.

With me bikes bikes come & go, some in matter of days, or in the case of a ZX6-R only fourteen hours, nothing wrong with it as such just didn't like it and knew I never would.

It takes something quite 'unique' to impress me in my old age. I'm totally blown away by the Firestorm, I keep sneaking back just to look at her, or start her, addictive, such a change from what I'm used to and what's not to love. Amazing power delivery, excellent balance, carries it's weight well, great handling, simply a stunning ride & an old school hooligan in a Saville Row suit.

I don't find the suspension overly soft as often quoted, compliant yes, balanced yes, well damped yes, overly sprung no, unless or course someone has upgraded it, maybe I hit the sweetspot in my weight?

She looks all standard bar a few sympathetic upgrades.

For what I paid for it she was silly cheap.

One question though....where is the idle speed adjuster? Its going to be somewhere obvious as always but...
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: new member to the fold

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup: it sounds like you have found yourself a nice clean and tidy bike there going by what your wanted list had on it :)

The idle speed adjuster is found on the righthand side of the bike (rear brake pedal side), to access it you need to put your hand through the trellis part of the bikes frame. It's the black knurled knob you can see in the photo (courtesy of Twitchy) below facing downwards:-

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm not sure about the Saville Row suit, it could be smarter. They should have come with a full fairing including fairing lowers instead of the silly little bikini over the oil filter, and maybe built in indicators like a VFR and nice CBR digital dash. :lol:

Don't be confused by the fuel mixture screw in that pic above as that has been modded. Where about's in Spain are you?

Welcome to the forum :beer:
==============================Enter the Darkside
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum.Great bunch of lads here. :thumbup: :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Nice informative into :thumbprint: hello and welcome
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Welcome on board. These guy's will see you right. The Firestorm is addictive :D
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club matey :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the team..... sounds like love :thumbup:
AMcQ
baycat

Post by baycat »

Welcome to the forum
fourelms

Post by fourelms »

sirch345 wrote:Welcome aboard :thumbup: it sounds like you have found yourself a nice clean and tidy bike there going by what your wanted list had on it :)

The idle speed adjuster is found on the righthand side of the bike (rear brake pedal side), to access it you need to put your hand through the trellis part of the bikes frame. It's the black knurled knob you can see in the photo (courtesy of Twitchy) below facing downwards:-

Chris.
thanks guys, very warm welcome.

Ohh that's where the little bugger is....I even downloaded a factory manual and still couldn't see it, was leaning over the bike from the nearside, silly t*at!

Not in Spain, sorry, my bumpf was misleading....I first saw one In Albacete racetrack Spain back in the day. Used to go to the track watching the WSB in the good old days of the mid to late 90's, Chilli, Corser, Haga, Slight, Witham, Edwards, real proper friendly guys always up for a chat and a photo etc...ohh & that miserable bugger Mr Foggerty whom never had a word or a smile for us.

Albacete was a strange track, all in a bowl type amphitheatre, never really got too many fans there, piss poor facilities and the security was so bad we even got into the post race SKY TV debriefing after one race....Foggy won and after the MC did the spill he asked the press if anyone had any questions for Foggy and no one did, just stony silence which made him look rather uncomfortable...to this day I regret asking him if he got his knee down out there....plenty of questions for the 2nd and 3rd place guys though as I remember.
I hear Foggy is a changed man now though, can't want be number one without a number one size ego to be fair.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

welcome to the forum buddy, nice intro btw, from what I've read, foggy was a bastid, only interested in winning at all costs, I kind of admire that, but you'll never win many friends that way, and as you said, he's a changed guy these days, having said that, I wouldn't want to challenge him to a game of pool tho, probably stab me with the cue if I beat him... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by agentpineapple on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

agentpineapple wrote:welcome to the forum buddy, nice intro btw, from what I've read, foggy was a bastid, only interested in winning at all costs, I kind of admire that, but you'll never win many friends that way, and as you said, he's a changed guy these days,gabing said that, I wouldn't want to challenge him to a game of pool tho, probably stab me with the cue if I beat him... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought whaling had been banned!!! :wave:
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Kev L wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:welcome to the forum buddy, nice intro btw, from what I've read, foggy was a bastid, only interested in winning at all costs, I kind of admire that, but you'll never win many friends that way, and as you said, he's a changed guy these days,gabing said that, I wouldn't want to challenge him to a game of pool tho, probably stab me with the cue if I beat him... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought whaling had been banned!!! :wave:
play nicely or I won't pay you for that fairing..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

:shh: :lol: