New here? Come in and introduce yourself
marko

Post by marko »

morning all im mark from sunny hull in east yorks just picked up a mint 97 storm for a grand ,pics soon .ive had all sorts of bikes from a hand me down mobylette at 11 years old.i mainly restore 70,s 80,s hondas like the sl,xl.xr range but this the vtr appeared on local bumtree ad so i thought yeah why not,ive liked the sound of v twins,i owned a tl1000s 6 years ago ,stonking motor on them .took it for a blast yesterday although a bit wet and cold.first impressions are favourable i like the low down grunt and it makes you grin when the front wheel goes skyward.the bike is totaly stock so too quiet for me so ive bought some delkevics off flea bay,i can live with the vibes as im used to big trailies,but the clip ons have gotta go,im a builder so suffer a bit from joint ache and white finger,so will have to do a handlebar conversion,reading some posts on the forum it seems you have to chop the fairing to accept certain bars ,unless you fit straighter drag bars am i correct in saying this i really dont want to get my hacksaw out,big fun tho, you seem a friendly ,knowledgeable bunch ,ride safe all,marko
AMCQ46

Re: newbie

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the club Mark, I think you will enjoy the bike, especially if you do a flat bar conversion. That will make it feel like a 1000cc supermoto..

I did the flat bars on mine and I love it, don't know why I did 10yrs with clipons!! I think it is faster on the roads with the better leverage and visibility, and it wheelies better :D

I know you need to trim the fairing if you don't use straight "drag bars", but the ultra low bend renthals give you a much better riding position, that is still sporty but comfortable. Use a dremel with 2 of the thin cutting discs bolted on at the same time when triming the fairing and you won't even know it is not standard.

Have a look here
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p240524
AMcQ
baycat

Post by baycat »

welcome to the forum mark, I too have been looking to do a bar conversion. when removing my mirrors I noticed the fairing would flex quite a bit outwards away from bars, which might allow the fitting of renthal ultra low bars. someone with your knowhow it might be worth looking at as it would save cutting the fairing.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to forum Mark.All the chaps on this site make for a friendly bunch and fully loaded up with knowledge on the vtr.All will help with any problems you may have along with a bit of friendly banter.Enjoy the most under rated bike Honda has ever made imo. :thumbup: :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

First sort the CCTs and R/R!

Was it you? > Lemon yellow storm Humber / Beverly Friday midday http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 19&t=39860
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
marko

Post by marko »

nah wasnt me mines black cct..r/r?
marko

Post by marko »

thanks for welcome boys,just wondered amcq46 what yoke did you buy?cheers mark
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club mate. Get the cam chain tensioners sorted and the regulator/rectifier changed to a later model finned version or a mosfet. :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

marko wrote:nah wasnt me mines black cct..r/r?
Fit manual cct's if not already fitted as auto cct's have a habit of failing causing bent valves etc.and upgrade to a mosfet regulator/rectifier or the later finned type as these fail and fry the battery plus other electrical damage.Both jobs are relatively simple and help is always available from the forum.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
marko

Post by marko »

thanks for welcome again will check motor to see if mods have already been done.ta marko
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Alright, Marko?
I have an early SL125 with less than 7K on it that I'll finish rebuilding one day....
Technically it's the wife's as I spent her engagement ring money on it :oops:

Post up a piccy of your work.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

marko wrote:thanks for welcome boys,just wondered amcq46 what yoke did you buy?cheers mark

i modified a spare std one, but i wouldn't recommend if you don't have a mig welder and a milling machine to hand
AMcQ
macdee

Post by macdee »

Hello and welcome
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Welcome aboard buddy

I used VFR800 Bars as a straight fit, just trim the fairing a bit
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

Hi and welcome,recommend the bar conversion it makes a massive difference to the bike :thumbup: also the cct I got mine from bazza and the reg rec is a gamble I didn't bother with mine then it fried the battery a long way from home :thumbdown: enjoy the forum it's full of good advice and some tasty bits often come up in the sales section but ya have to be quick with this lot