New UK Firestorm owner and some questions, please!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
podman

New UK Firestorm owner and some questions, please!

Post by podman »

Evening one and all,

Recently purchased a nice lowish mileage 2002 Firestorm to replace my GSXR1000, picking it up in a couple of weeks, the GSXR was a lovely bike but I wanted something semi sporty as my neck is struggling with the low bar position now and with a 2k budget, the Firestorm seemed the best bang for my buck, a good alternative to a VFR800 and comfy enough for my needs.

I also have a few 2 strokes but I need a bigger bike for those European holidays and longer trips out.

My bike is a 2002 model( I believe?!) , a genuine UK bike but has no HISS immobiliser, looking at the top yoke, is was always this way, both keys are present but I thought it strange it (HISS)wasnt fitted.

The bike usefully came with an unfitted Renntec rack and Renntec top box.

Any advice on this much appreciated

Thanks

[url]Image

[url]Image

[url]Image

[url]Image

Yellow screen appearing on eBay soon!

[url]Image|

[url]Image
Wicky

Re: New UK Firestorm owner and some questions, please!

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

Good choice of wheels! Looks like a manufactured 97-01 early model - as later model had HISS, different clocks, larger tank and a few other minor differences. So your bike is an early model registered a year or two after it was imported.

Things to do as a matter of urgency if not alreay done to ensure maximum reliability: Fit manual cam chain tensioners and if it has an unfinned regulator/rectifier replace with a later finned upgraded version or better still a Mosfet. Worth doing over winter is servicing/greasing up the shock / swing arm linkages, and keeping the starter terminal (under the rubber hood) greased up.

*** Read Me for New Members *** > Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p304638

Top box will be useful for stashing away extra fuel on your long trips away! Standard exhausts I see - they tame the lovely noise unleashed with aftermarket sportier cans. Also you can find risers or VFR bars for more upright riding posture.
Last edited by Wicky on Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

It wont have HISS as it's an F not an F2.

As it's a 2002 it must have been one left on the dealers shopfloor unsold whilst the the newer ones came & went.

F2 have the HISS fited but also have different clocks, digi fuel gauge, clock & temp. There other minor differencece throught the bike but the most important thing is the slightly larger fuel tank..Up a wopping 3l from the 16l tank on F versions.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
podman

Post by podman »

Thanks for all the info gents, bit of a bummer about the 16L tank, even my 2 strokes are bigger capacity, the clocks indicate mine is an older model as well then?

Why couldnt Honda make a decent reg/rec system on their bikes of this era?!

I guess I can date it 100% by the frame number.

Im also on the lookout for a standard undertray to replace the awful Pyramid item.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You need a bigger tank on a twostroke :wink:
I agree it's the earlier version. It might have a 16ltr tank, but IMHO the speedo on the earlier versions are easy to read than the later model is.

Welcome aboard, a nice looking bike you have there :thumbup:

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

podman wrote:Thanks for all the info gents, bit of a bummer about the 16L tank, even my 2 strokes are bigger capacity, the clocks indicate mine is an older model as well then?

Im also on the lookout for a standard undertray to replace the awful Pyramid item.
And to decipher the VIN code, as an example JH2SC36A4VM8******

J: country of production (JH2=WMI Honda Japan, 1HF=Honda America, ZDC=Honda Italy, VTM=Montesa/Honda Spain)
H: Honda
2: Motorcycle
SC36: type = VTR1000F)
A or B: model or engine type
4: control number (1-9 or X)
T: year (T=1996, V=1997, W=1998, X=1999, Y=2000, 1=2001 , 2=2002 ... 6=2006)
M: factory (M=Hamamatsu/Japan, K=Kumamoto/Japan, A=Ohio/USA, F=Atessa/Italy, E=Barcelona/Spain
000992: serial number
Quite like the style you have - quite like the Morowaki Racing Storms had

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
podman

Post by podman »

Wicky wrote:

*** Read Me for New Members *** > Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 45#p304638

Top box will be useful for stashing away extra fuel on your long trips away! Also you can find risers or VFR bars for more upright riding posture.
That is a really, really useful thread, "props" as the yoof would say ... Sounds like ill be looking for fuel after 80 or so miles, I can live with that in the UK anyway!

Risers and VFR bars sound something that would also fall into a "must do", which VFR bars in particular gents?

...and would these risers be suitable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VTR1000-Fires ... SwT4lWTh8a

I think cans will be ESSENTIAL , ive never owned a V twin four stroke , must be criminal to muzzle that sound eh?
podman

Post by podman »

Wicky wrote:
podman wrote:Thanks for all the info gents, bit of a bummer about the 16L tank, even my 2 strokes are bigger capacity, the clocks indicate mine is an older model as well then?

J: country of production (JH2=WMI Honda Japan, 1HF=Honda America, ZDC=Honda Italy, VTM=Montesa/Honda Spain)
M: factory (M=Hamamatsu/Japan, K=Kumamoto/Japan, A=Ohio/USA, F=Atessa/Italy, E=Barcelona/Spain

:thumbup:

I quite like the belly pan and hugger too, ill try and find out the manufacturer, I hadnt realised it was aftermarket until I dug out the standard jobbie.

Morowaki bike looks stunning...was it successful?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

podman wrote:
Wicky wrote:

Top box will be useful for stashing away extra fuel on your long trips away! Also you can find risers or VFR bars for more upright riding posture.
That is a really, really useful thread, "props" as the yoof would say ... Sounds like ill be looking for fuel after 80 or so miles, I can live with that in the UK anyway!

Risers and VFR bars sound something that would also fall into a "must do", which VFR bars in particular gents?

...and would these risers be suitable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VTR1000-Fires ... SwT4lWTh8a

I think cans will be ESSENTIAL , ive never owned a V twin four stroke , must be criminal to muzzle that sound eh?
Those risers will work ok...had a set meself & didn't think they made much of a difference. The Bars on the later bikes are one of the changes & they do make a difference...I have 4 Storms as I'm greedy 3xFs & one F2 the F2 is deff more wrist freindly on a long run...

As for the VFR bars any year that runs 41mm forks will fit...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club podman
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
macdee

Post by macdee »

Yellow and welcome
told you not to but oh no you knew better
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum.Not much more to be said about vital mods only to get them done (if they aren't already).The only thing bad about it on looks alone is yellow paint.Where are you based. :thumbup: :wave:
Can see by 2nd picture you have auto cct's,you need manual cct's.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

podman wrote:
Wicky wrote:

I quite like the belly pan and hugger too, ill try and find out the manufacturer, I hadnt realised it was aftermarket until I dug out the standard jobbie.

Morowaki bike looks stunning...was it successful?
Belly pan would be bought as a Moriwaki replica

https://www.intobikes.co.uk/products/00 ... =165&rg=12

Hugger I think after buying a cheaper one that was smashing it up with a nail in my tyre, the Pyramid is a better design because the cheaper has an integrated chain guard so you have to remove the hanger, the Pyramid has a shorter guard that requires replacement of the original Honda chain guard so no removal of hangers etc.

https://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk/acce ... ber=07102A
podman

Post by podman »

MacV2 wrote:
Those risers will work ok...had a set meself & didn't think they made much of a difference. The Bars on the later bikes are one of the changes & they do make a difference...I have 4 Storms as I'm greedy 3xFs & one F2 the F2 is deff more wrist freindly on a long run...

Sorry one last q, do you have to make any mods/replace things like to control cables/brake hoses etc if I was to fit a set of F2 or VFR bars, its purely a simple bolt off and on job ?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

podman wrote:
MacV2 wrote:

Sorry one last q, do you have to make any mods/replace things like to control cables/brake hoses etc if I was to fit a set of F2 or VFR bars, its purely a simple bolt off and on job ?
With risers I just unbolted the splitter on the standard brake line where it bolted to the frame. With aftermarket lines that prob woudn't be an issue.

With the F2 bars no other mods required.

With the VFR bars never fitted them meself but may require other mods.

If you go the flat bar route, longer lines, exten hooter wires & poss fairing trim required...