Hello

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
ColonelHornet

Hello

Post by ColonelHornet »

Hi,

My name is Alex, I've been riding for 9 years. Previous bikes: 600 Hornet, Aprilia RS250 and a Suzuki GSXR750 K7, which was unfortunately stolen last month. So now I am seriously considering a Firestorm.

Any tips on buying one of these would be very welcome, I have read around and seen about problems with CCT, regulator/rectifier and the limited range/consumption. There seem to be quite a few bikes on eBay, but not many with the bigger tank..

If anything I'd probably settle for a less tidy version, I'll be using the bike to commute in London.

Thanks,

Alex
Wicky

Re: Hello

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

Best read through this on the primary & secondary concerns regarding the Storm > *** Read Me for New Members *** > Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications > viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31345#p304638

Also take a gander in the workshop section to see what questions crop up regulary > viewforum.php?f=9

And many solutions to problems in the workshop knowldgebase > viewforum.php?f=31
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

Hello, welcome to the Asylum.

The only advice I can give that is tried, tested, confirmed and assured is:

Don't buy a Yellow one
Don't buy a Blue one
Don't buy a Silver one
Don't buy a Black one
Don't buy an Orange one
Don't buy a Teal one

Aside from that, any other colour will be fine. :thumbup: :lol:

They can all be thristy bikes if yer heavy on the right wrist. Yes, the 16ltr tanks are a crap decision from Honda if yer going on a long run, but town/City work is fine, as yer always near a filling station. Some folk are getting near 100 miles plus to the tank. I fill my tank regardless of where I am every 50 or 60 miles ridden on the trip. After 50/60 miles, there is about a quarter left in the tank and the LED is not lit up. Filling to the neck after 60 miles costs me approx £7.00 (with fuel price at £1.18 ppl, and the bike taking 6.58 litres to fill to the neck after 60 miles). I can be a steady rider, but there are times when she's opened up and that's when you notice she has a drinking problem.

I could do the same 60 miles, but this time ''hoon riding'', tipping the 140mph mark at times with rapid pull-aways and overtaking, and the cost will be about a tenner to refill (or more if fuel prices are back up over the 120 ppl).

On a motorway (steady riding) you can get good return....town work (up and down the box) you could use a bit more. But, the plus side is, we are on an Island, and are never that far away from a fuel stop. They can be quite economical (and it depends on your riding style and how you treat the bike through the gearbox, what cans you use, if the bikes been re-jetted incorrectly, or the carbs are out of sync etc.).

The CCTs can be a ticking time bomb, and yes, 99% of folk here would recommend looking for one that has the modification, or buying one that hasn't, and making that yer first priority to change. Other VTR riders are still running the OEM CCTs (as I am), and so far (...so far), have no problems. I am on my second set of OEM CCTs, and the bike is near to 43,500 miles (a 1999 red one)

The Reggy Wreckti-frier needs changed to a finned version if it hasn't already got one. The OEM R/R is a flat sealed box, under the right side panel, bolted to the frame plate, next to the rear master Cylinder. Just taking the seat off, you can see if it's finned or not. Other folk here will go the full hog and fit a MOSFET R/R. This involves footling with wires and plugs to change/convert it to fit.

Whatever colour you settle for, you can be certain that the VTR will be unlike anything you've ever ridden before. TOTALLY different to an in line 4. The torque it produces cannot be explained in words. The same goes for the massive grin you will still have an hour after riding it.

So - I shall leave it here, and the proper experts n' sexperts will be in shortly. :thumbup:
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club matey :beer:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Welcome...yep buy a red one...TBH the extra 3 ltrs you get with the later bike isn't worth the hassle of looking for one. I have both coz I'm a smug git with too big a garage...hahaha

I've been commuting into London since March, 36 mile trip so 72 a day, Fill up every 3rd journey. On a commute easy to get 100 t0 120 from a tank.

My run is lanes, A2, then town...Occasionally get above 50 on the A2 due to traffic... If you ring it's neck everywhere then the consumption will drop but thats the same for any vehicle...

It's one of my older Storms that I commute on so only has the 16l...If I was using the F2 I'd probably still fill it up every 3rd run just due to the fuel stop locations so I wouldn't gain anything anyway from the bigger tank.

Whereabouts in Londinum are you ? Plenty of us around these here parts...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Not a lot more to be said really. As long as its red you'll be ok. :wave: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along. well pretty much covered above what you need to know. just be carful of the yellow ones, they are a tad faster and less ghey than the other colours. just saying like :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-motorbi ... Sw4GVYPYwU
not mine, just on ebay, looks to be cheap atm
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
ColonelHornet

Post by ColonelHornet »

Thank you all for the welcome, helpful advice and comments.

I'm attracted to the Storm because it's a twin, thought it would be nice to try something different. Thanks for the link to the later model one on eBay, it does look very cheap for the model and mileage. I've been keeping an eye on the for sale section, probably going to wait till the new year, then have a look at some. Buying one with manual cct's would seem a good move. If I were to get one, my to do list would be: CCT, reg/rec, sort suspension.

I live in North London, it's not a long commute, but can't stand the tube and hate cycling on night shifts.. I'd also want to use the bike for country roads, the occasional trip (Scotland with a small tank could be interesting..) and a trackday or two.

As for the colour.. I'm sure the girlfriend will also have an opinion there.

Cheers,

Alex
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Hi Alex
when i'm in the uk, i'm based in east london, very close to the city. in an ideal world you should buy a storm with mcct's fitted and it should have least have a late model finned reg/rec. but they aren't that difficult to sort out.
this time of year is when the real bargains are to be found. in the last 18 months prices in general have risen. but you can still find a nice bike for £1500.
if i was in your shoes, i'd be looking for a bike that's got good tyres/chain/sprockets and so on, make sure the bodyworks in good condition and that there's no major pitting on the fork tubes, a bonus would be some aftermarket end cans. double bubble screen and so on.
they're very easy and cheap to service the bike yourself, oil and oil filter only costs about £25 delivered. air filter is roughly £20 and sparkplugs about £15 for a pair, and it's all easy to do.
personally i don't believe a storm to be a great commuter bike, just my honest opinion. don't get me wrong, they will do it all day long. but there are loads of better bikes for commuting on.
as for the smaller tank, it's not that big a deal, i'd say it was an issue if you were commuting 60 to a 100 miles a day, as that would see you at a petrol station every day.
most importantly tho, they are a fun bike, with a soul and tonnes of character. it's the only bike i've ever fallen in love with, and at times i think of changing, but i know i'd regret it it straight away.
good luck with your search in the new year, and if i'm in the uk and you like someone to check out a bike with you, just get in touch buddy... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
TheGingerBeardMan

MacV2 wrote:...Mac posted a Gumtree ad with a black one for sale....
Hmmm - I take back when I said: ''don't buy a black one''. (it's the graphics/decals colour that put me off at first)

Black is a really bonny colour for the Storm, and seeing this one, yes, I'd have that in a heart-beat. The black screen in the front shot sets the bike of nicely. Apart from that, it looks a fine example of a totally original bike. Original cans don't look to have a mark on em, and the front header has some shine to it - so it's been looked after by the seller or previous owners.

Whoever buys it, after a few hours fettling to make it run nice, is gonna get a nice bike.

EDIT Afterwards: - Went back to have a look at that advert for the black vtr. Yes. Very nice. Very nice indeed. And so much so, that if I ever get the opportunity to start collecting them (like MacV2 is doing), then black, in this condition, is the only other colour I'd consider. But it'd have to look like this one...untouched with no silly indicators, no short 2 finger levers, no cut down tail unit and sheeeee-it - it's STILL got the original rubber brake hoses.

I want it. I need it. I hate xmas, and don't go for all this Santa crap.....but, on this occasion......erm.......''Dear Father Christmas''.......

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

TheGingerBeardMan wrote:
MacV2 wrote:...Mac posted a Gumtree ad with a black one for sale....
Hmmm - I take back when I said: ''don't buy a black one''. (it's the graphics/decals colour that put me off at first)

Black is a really bonny colour for the Storm, and seeing this one, yes, I'd have that in a heart-beat. The black screen in the front shot sets the bike of nicely. Apart from that, it looks a fine example of a totally original bike. Original cans don't look to have a mark on em, and the front header has some shine to it - so it's been looked after by the seller or previous owners.

Whoever buys it, after a few hours fettling to make it run nice, is gonna get a nice bike.

EDIT Afterwards: - Went back to have a look at that advert for the black vtr. Yes. Very nice. Very nice indeed. And so much so, that if I ever get the opportunity to start collecting them (like MacV2 is doing), then black, in this condition, is the only other colour I'd consider. But it'd have to look like this one...untouched with no silly indicators, no short 2 finger levers, no cut down tail unit and sheeeee-it - it's STILL got the original rubber brake hoses.

I want it. I need it. I hate xmas, and don't go for all this Santa crap.....but, on this occasion......erm.......''Dear Father Christmas''.......
other than the colour, as although blacks fine, i'd consider any storm colour in this condition and at that price, buy it now and flog it for a profit in summer. you couldn't lose... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
ColonelHornet

Post by ColonelHornet »

Thanks again for everyone's comments.

My reference point for all the activities I mentioned previously is/was my GSXR, which I found to be a pretty good compromise. Correct me if I'm wrong (most likely..) but I expect a Firestorm to be more comfortable on M'way, have a very different power delivery, be not as quick to turn or sharp a front end and be fairly similar at commuting (my commute is 5 miles and not every day).

The safe option is a CBR600. However I'm only going to have this bike for 2-3 years, before the ULEZ comes in to force and we have to pay £12.50 a day to ride in central london (and possibly with the north circular)and want to try something different. So long as the bike runs smooth and and is reliable I'll be happy, cosmetically it doesn't need to be perfect.

That black one does look nice. Looks like you may have got their first gingerbeard! I wonder how much work it would need or what the worst case scenario would be? If it's just a case of cleaning the carbs out it's a bargain.
TheGingerBeardMan

ColonelHornet wrote:That black one does look nice. Looks like you may have got there first gingerbeard!
Oh heck no. I already have my red one, and can't afford another bike anymore. :( Not in the forseeable future anyway. Used to always make sure I had a cheap winter hack as a back up, but not this year. Not on my pocket money. So, I ain't gonna be going for it any time soon. Heavy sighs.

It's hard to say what that black one needs. It may be a case of just gummed up from sitting. The only real way of knowing is to run up with someone (who has/knows about VTRs), and then cast an eye over it n' have a listen. The condition tells me (being standard and no race cans/ aftermarket bits), that it's an older rider who has it/or owned it. (I mean, look at the exhaust system...it's standard OEM right up to the headers, and they're well, still like new!??) Mind you, that means nothing. You can get a 70 year old owner, but he's crap through the box and hard on the brakes. But, it's a damn clean looking machine, and, believe it or not, I don't even think I would haggle on the price, despite the fact it ain't running right.

Yup - you read it here first....a Scotsman who WON'T argue about the price. :lol:

If he wants to swap it for 3 grands worth of Ham Radio gear, then yup, I'll deal!! :lol: