New (old) Member

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
bertye

New (old) Member

Post by bertye »

Hi all. I have brought myself a 1998 VTR last September. I have been riding a CBR750 hurricane for the last 20 years, which I still own and love. It has gear driven cam, which I wished all Honda's had, but alas, the cost. My VTR had already come with the CCT's done, and it has less than 13,000 on the clock, so should be fine there. It also come with a carbon fibre huger and short straight through exhaust. They are far to load, so have mode inserts for them till I make new cans for them. The 1st thing I done was to change all the brake and clutch fluid ( it should be change every 2 years), checked the air filter (bad) and checked it all over. The only mode's I have done so far, it to but a 6mm spacer for the rear shock (which I sell on eBay). I am now in the process of sorting out the handle bars which are a pain it the wrist. I'm 59 and 6"11/2". I have come up with 94 to 97 VFR bars which fit 41mm legs. I have offered them up and will fit with a small adjustments here and there. I will upload pictures when it is all done, if I can. They bring the bar back 12mm if fitted at the same angle and up 37mm at the end of the bar, plus there are 20mm wider (40mm in total), so a bit more leverage. I have been taking photos as a step by step process, and a before and after, so might upload if there is the interest. I am hoping it will be make it more comfortable to ride, plus gets ride of that vagueness in tight corners and small roundabout's. I don't get any of that on my CBR, and can throw it about in full confidence. To add, I am a Mechanic and an Engineer, so have no problem repairing and making part's that I need. I just love the grunt it has, but not it's cornering. I am sure it has been fiddled with a bit, as it seem to have more go that it should, and I have rode rather a lot of bikes to compare it with.
alanfjones1411

Re: New (old) Member

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum Bertye. Have a look at reg/reg if it it hasn't got cooling fins change it for one that has.They are a great bike and mine surprised me with the power. As for the handling a lot of members have had their forks rogered as they call it. I have a complete Ducati 916/996 front end on mine and coupled with the Ohlins remote rear shock seems to have it sorted. Enjoy :thumbup: :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

When you say CCT's have been done...New autos fitted or Manuals...If it has still got Auto standard CCT's on it get them swapped ASAP for a set of manuals...Std ones new or old can fail without giving ANY notice of going...

Re handling first thing to do is change the fork oil it may have not been changed since it was put in at the factory...After that new springs will stiffen it up a bit or better still do them at the same time...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
bertye

Post by bertye »

The cct's were change to Manuel ones as there would be no point with such low mileage on it to fit the same type back in. The forks are stiff enough, so it is not the issue, in fact almost to stiff. I have already changed rectifier for a Yamaha one, though it was not faulty, which I had forget that I had done. I have pictures of how to do for it, and without having to cut the wires and put now ends on, which -to me- would look scruffy. Just cut the block down the centre long ways and sanded the 2 parts thinner and they plug straight in. It handles fine at speed, just in slow corner which no amount of fiddling will fork oil will change. In fact I would say the forks are rather stiff. I am sure that the 1st owner had done a few mods that can't be seen and has been around Nurburgring.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome to the forum :thumbup: and yes we like pictures of mods on here..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
bertye

Post by bertye »

I would upload pictures if I could. I have tried and to no avail. Why it is so hard to do? I have not had problems on other forums. I also can't find saved drafts, as I was doing one for the rectifier, saved it as I could not add pic's. Help :?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard bertye :thumbup:

You need a host for adding photo's,

Chris.
bertye

Post by bertye »

I have, photobucket, but I can only add links, not pictures.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Matey :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bertye

Post by bertye »

I have sussed it out. I followed "Re: how to put pictures into your posts" post. And after giving it a go. it did not work, so tried again in a different way, and wala, a picture. On photobucket it is using the IMG link. I have always used Direct, which will not work on this site. :D
geeman22

Post by geeman22 »

Welcome to the forum
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

:wave: :beer: welcome along
Paultandy

Post by Paultandy »

Hello and welcome
:beer: I drink beer like my bike drinks petrol :beer:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Welcome in :thumbup:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!