Newbie with Anniversary bike

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
realboss7669

Newbie with Anniversary bike

Post by realboss7669 »

Hello from a newbie, I already own an SP2 but have just picked up a Firestorm 50th Anniversary (red & white one) via fleabay (http://r.ebay.com/xZgU53)

Will get some more posts up once I take delivery of the bike next week!
macdee

Re: Newbie with Anniversary bike

Post by macdee »

Hello and welcome
It's good
That's you are Getting the original bits
With the bike
told you not to but oh no you knew better
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the best forum that's all about the Firestorm.The fellas here know their VTR's inside out.Looks like a well sorted bike.Where are you located and will you be coming to the 20th anniversary of the VTR at Birmingham. :wave: :wave: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
geoff996

Post by geoff996 »

Welcome, you'll make a few jealous as you have an sp2. Enjoy the forum all good lads and some lasses :D
RIDE TO ENJOY
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Very nice spec with lots of handy mods. One thing missing on the listing is if the R/R has been upgraded. Any dyno printouts? as K&N air filter notoriously tricky to set up on the Storm.

When you get your dabblers on the bike post some better pics with your finest bins :thumbup:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Congrats & welcome .
Looks like someone has looked after it
realboss7669

Post by realboss7669 »

Thanks guys sounds ace, I should have joined a few years back to be honest even with just the SP2 as seen a lot of useful stuff on this forum.

I also owned a Varadero for a few months so the blood ties are there, not to mention my wife also having 2 V twins of her own, yes we are both addicted to them!

Regards the VTR 20th anniversary I will need to check dates but provisionally yes I'd love to be there!!
Wicky wrote:Very nice spec with lots of handy mods. One thing missing on the listing is if the R/R has been upgraded. Any dyno printouts? as K&N air filter notoriously tricky to set up on the Storm.

When you get your dabblers on the bike post some better pics with your finest bins :thumbup:
Hey Wicky, I thought you meant 'rolling road' when you say R/R but I don't think you do, I did an acronym seach as this is a new term for me, but came up with things like 'Rest & Recuperation' or 'Rock & Roll'!!! Bet I will kick myself when I see what it means but can you enlighten me?

My SP2 has been fettled with by Roger Ditchefield with high lift cams and forged pistons plus a carbon fibre Moriwaki airbox so I assume you are referring to the set up. I will ask the previous owner who incidentally seems very knowledgable and has clearly loved this bike.

Thanks guys for the lovely welcome, great to be on board (excuse the play on words) :cool2 8)
realboss7669

Post by realboss7669 »

realboss7669 wrote:...
Regards the VTR 20th anniversary I will need to check dates but provisionally yes I'd love to be there!!
Oh poo, 15th July. Afraid I won't be able to make that date :(
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club fella. Wicky is talking about the regulator/rectifier on the bike. The early non finned ones pack up and fry the electrics. Couple of options are late model version or mosfet. Have a read through the workshop section.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
realboss7669

Post by realboss7669 »

Kev L wrote:Welcome to the club fella. Wicky is talking about the regulator/rectifier on the bike. The early non finned ones pack up and fry the electrics. Couple of options are late model version or mosfet. Have a read through the workshop section.
Ah ace, thank you Kev, will go take a look and also check with the previous owner on this one. Want to avoid fried electrics for sure.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

My SP2 has been fettled with by Roger Ditchefield with high lift cams and forged pistons plus a carbon fibre Moriwaki airbox so I assume you are referring to the set up. I will ask the previous owner who incidentally seems very knowledgable and has clearly loved this bike.
Nope not your SP but K&N is listed as fitted to your new Storm Beastie in the ebay ad you posted. It would need rejetting for with the free flow exhaust and dyno time by someone experienced to get it sweet - not always in comparison to an IL4 to improve curves & horsies...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome in at last. nice looking bike but not like the SP2 to ride........ be interested to hear how it compares and which keys you grab as a default :D
AMcQ
realboss7669

Post by realboss7669 »

Wicky wrote:
Nope not your SP but K&N is listed as fitted to your new Storm Beastie in the ebay ad you posted. It would need rejetting for with the free flow exhaust and dyno time by someone experienced to get it sweet - not always in comparison to an IL4 to improve curves & horsies...
Ah my bad, I meant to say that as my SP2 has been fettled with, I assume you mean something to do with set up on the Firestorm, I'm as clear as mud though, apologies!
AMCQ46 wrote:welcome in at last. nice looking bike but not like the SP2 to ride........ be interested to hear how it compares and which keys you grab as a default :D
Ha yes. I will probably avoid comparing the two as they are different beasties. It's a bit like the wife's modded SV650 which I love specifically because of it's limitations compared with the SP2. With the SV you can open it up properly on the road and keep your license (within reason) whereas on the SP2 I would prefer a track really.

8)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir... as said get a few pics up. you will learn of course that storms are faster by colour :think: . at least you bought the second fastest colour. :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:
That Anniversary Firestorm seems like a very nice bike 8) good find,

Chris.