Engine ticking help please.

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
alanfjones1411

Re: Engine ticking help please.

Post by alanfjones1411 »

You had the bike running well before the "mechanic" got his hands on it. Wtf has he done?
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
j4weeson

Post by j4weeson »

Mine was ticking from time to time and I fitted manual cct. Problem never came back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IanSpain

Post by IanSpain »

Ages since I've signed in ! Turns out the ticking that remained after fitting new CCT's was actually valves that were WAY out ! Just the stutter at 3000 rpm to sort now. I've posted a separate request for advice as I think it may be TPI related......
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Way out is a worry... More than. 05 larger than the upper tolerance?
If the gap was much larger than it should be ( which would be in line with the rattling noise) then there's a chance that a valve has hit a piston and bent slightly.
That stops the valve closing properly, and it sits lower into the head, leaving a larger gap at the shim. Mostly it's a pair of valves, both inlets on one cylinder or both exhausts, occasionally all four in one head.

This usually occurs when a cct has failed, or the engine was turned over with incorrect valve timing -at least two or three teeth out.

Suggest you let us know what the measured gaps were before new shims were fitted.

You can investigate several ways :

By eye- if you take out the cams you can see visually if one cam cap sits lower that the others compared to the casting surrounding them- they should always be equally set.

Alternatively get a compression leakdown test done on both cylinders, if one is much different to the other that shows a bent valve or worn seat, or worn valve guides.

The third way is to pull the heads off and have a look.

If the clearance was within tolerance limits then don't worry and ignore the above.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
exTRX850

Post by exTRX850 »

Wicky wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:56 am Depending where it could be possibly leaking then you'll need to renew either the manifold crush copper gasket (no. 2) or depending on what link pipes you've got attached to the header - it could be a graphite seal (no.6). Sometimes hi-temp silicone can help, along with decent clamps W4 / W5 Mikalor supra SS clamps.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces ... STORM.html
What laser like advice !
as seen on a low doorway lintel a long time ago, far, far away - "be kind to your mind"