Newbee

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Newbee

Post by sirch345 »

VTRDark wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:36 am Nice use of circular saw blades on the wheels :lol: You have a bit of a Blue Flame theme going on with your bikes. I'm guessing the cans where part of the deciding factor when purchasing. What's HECKS? You may regret getting rid of the Abba stand.

How does the Abba stand adaptor attach on the lefthand side of the bike Carl :?: Does it have a spigot on the stand adaptor that fits into the hex head of the engine mounting bolt :?:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:24 am
VTRDark wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:36 am Nice use of circular saw blades on the wheels :lol: You have a bit of a Blue Flame theme going on with your bikes. I'm guessing the cans where part of the deciding factor when purchasing. What's HECKS? You may regret getting rid of the Abba stand.

How does the Abba stand adaptor attach on the lefthand side of the bike Carl :?: Does it have a spigot on the stand adaptor that fits into the hex head of the engine mounting bolt :?:

Chris.
Yes...wtith the adaptors 1x fits over the head of the bolt, the other 1 fits in the hollow of the spindel...

The one on the right should be the other way up... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The left one fits as is and for the right I remove the adapter and insert IIRC a 12pt 17mm socket with a bit of insulating tape wrapped around so it's a snug fit into the abba stand. The trickiest bit is lining up the timber and bricks. I could do with a bigger and better bit of timber really :lol: Bike pivots the same and it's as solid as on the ground. The bike gets see-sawed and then I prop a bit of 2 x 1 under the front cylinder head below the cam cover. I have cut an angle out of the top of the 2 x 1 so a better fit. Just got to remember to loosen any big bolts before lifting the bike.

Better Pics Here
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Mac and Carl for your information :thumbup: just what I needed :D

I made my own stand years ago, but the point I put on the end of the threaded bar has been rounding of the hex head on the lefthand side, so I need to change that.

My apologies for the thread hijack,

Chris.
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

StormyRob wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:16 am

+1 on that. The abba standis by far the best piece of kit I have
Why do the fin type rectifiers vary so much in price...i can get one for 12 quid...but some cost 90 quid...Fazer is my Bro in Laws...the blue flames on my Storm sound like thunder with the baffles out...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Geeman wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:43 pm
StormyRob wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:16 am

+1 on that. The abba standis by far the best piece of kit I have
Why do the fin type rectifiers vary so much in price...i can get one for 12 quid...but some cost 90 quid...Fazer is my Bro in Laws...the blue flames on my Storm sound like thunder with the baffles out...
Coz the £12 ones are shite...you pays your money ect...look for a mossfet type one, I've bought 3 or 4 of them & never paid more than £50.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Buy cheap,buy twice.But in the case of the cheapies,buy 2,3,4 times.Depends how long you keep the bike.Go for a mosfet.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

Hi...but they all genuine Honda or so they say...are the mosfet Honda as well or aftermarket ones.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Geeman wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:19 pm Hi...but they all genuine Honda or so they say...are the mosfet Honda as well or aftermarket ones.
MOSFET Regulator/Rectifiers - The Why & The How

Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications > Regulator Rectifier

Which Reg/rectifier?

Installing a MOSFET R/R
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

Hi...
Well heres a thing.
Taken bike for MOT...no problems...advisories on exhaust because louder than standard...baffles in.
He said engine sounded very flat.
I said earlier in this post something seemed amiss.
He came to put cam chain tensioners in and the timing was all over the place. Seemed the rear cylinder was not correct. So dont know if cam chain tensioner had failed but he said the chain had jumped 1 link. Glad i didnt try to fit them. Wont be back until tomorrow now. Rather it be there than here with me crying over a bust engine.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Unlikely to be broken CCTs as they are binary - they either work or the bike would sound like a cement mixer full of clattering engine bits. Probably PO had CCT problems and assembled it a bit wrong.

Reset timing and install MCCTs and your storm beastie will pay you back with long term reliabilty.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

Hi
The guy that is doing the bike has just phoned. All finished and he has been out for a spin and says its a really good bike considering its age etc. He says the engine has been apart previously and someone has put it back together with the chain one tooth out...all good now...pphheeww.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Geeman wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:55 pm Hi
The guy that is doing the bike has just phoned. All finished and he has been out for a spin and says its a really good bike considering its age etc. He says the engine has been apart previously and someone has put it back together with the chain one tooth out...all good now...pphheeww.
That's good news :thumbup:

Chris.
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

Hi
Bad news...bloke who has done the bike has just phoned. He tried to start it this morning to check everything ok but wouldnt start. Then it started and he said it sounded terrible and the rear cylinder got hotter than the front so there is another issue. He said one cylinder was pulling the other along...whatever that means...oh well more issues...😠😠
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Hmmm. My bullshit meter is beginning to twitch.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)