Hello

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Gothrick
Location: Gods own - Yorkshire (well just over the border really in North Notts)

Re: Hello

Post by Gothrick »

Thanks guys for your comments in particular AMQ46 for taking the time and trouble for adding such informative information. :)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Good old Al! (see recent birthday for supporting evidence).
However the idle speed is accessed from the rh side, not the lh.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Tony.... Are you standing in front of the bike or sitting on it? :lol:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Goes faster when.im sitting on it.....
And to be honest, if I'm sitting on it I wouldn't advise standing in front of it!
Gothrick
Location: Gods own - Yorkshire (well just over the border really in North Notts)

Post by Gothrick »

Update - hope I’ve posted this in the right section. Following on from my previous message, I’ve now managed to complete the list of jobs I had to look at on my recently acquired ultra low mileage 15 year old storm. As well as the ones listed I’ve also fitted a new rear tyre, fenda extenda, hugger, plugs, air filter, oil and filter and replaced all the corroded fastenings as I’ve gone along. Just managed to get some miles on it before the weather turned.

Thought I’d pass on a tip I discovered (assuming no else has already thought of it) when refurbishing the starter motor. Although working fine and the all important bolt under the rubber boot was in good condition, the central steel casing was badly corroded and pitted with road rash and looked a right mess. The cast alloy ends were ok. I removed prepped and resprayed it with a “porcelain hard” gloss black rattle can (doing the badly pitted oil cooler lines at the same time). It didn't look too bad in black rather than the original silver. I then got to thinking it wouldn't take long for it to return to its previous sorry state with the pathetic excuse of a front mudguard the storm has Even with the extender fitted and all the work would have to be done again in next to no time to keep it cosmetically looking good.

Before refitting it I took a coke tin (other brands are available) cut the ends off, trimmed it to fit, turned it inside out and wrapped it around the central steel body of the starter motor securing it in place with silicon. Voila a brilliant shield protecting the front of the motor from road rash that also looks a million dollars! It doesn't quite meet at the back but gives the greatest protection where it matters.

Sorry if the pictures are poor and in hindsight wish I’d taken some when it was off the bike in a step by step fashion but its simple enough to do, a coke can is easily be with scissors or stanley knife.

Finally, the colour code sticker has vanished from the frame so could someone please confirm the correct colour for an 02 Yellow second generation model?

Now scouring thief bay for a seat cowl!
Attachments
DSC03073.jpg
DSC03072.jpg
DSC03070.jpg
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good to hear the update :D

Nice work with the alloy drinks can and the new paint on the starter motor and oil pipes :clap:
I prefer the drinks can turned inside out for our Storms, rather than what you usually see :) personal choice I know.

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Welcome in...

The paint code is Yelluck 1 :sick: hehehehe

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... es#p212945
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

What you on about Tony ?...

:redface
Last edited by MacV2 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's Mac for you, it took him only three minutes before he'd forgotten his first offensive post of the day and did it again.
Gothrick

Post by Gothrick »

Thanks for the link Mac........... and there was I thinking that yellow was the fastest colour after reading posts from other better informed Stormers. I feel a right fool now and wish I'd gone for Teal!!! :lol:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Now you’re just being silly!
:lol:
Cue Watty response.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I don't think anybody ever said those words in that order
Gothrick wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:26 pm wish I'd gone for Teal!!! :lol:
AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

..unless the next couple of words were “with a pick axe handle!” :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
podman

Post by podman »

:sick:
Gothrick wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:12 pm Well, collected the beast and on closer inspection now have a list of jobs to do. What's the saying "mileage isn't always an indicator of condition". With only 3600 miles on it over 15 years one would expect it to be in near perfect condition. Sadly, less than ideal storage conditions and cleaning discipline has left its mark. So things to look at are: -
Side stand switch inoperative
Front r/h indicator stalk broken
Rear tyre condition?
Crack to inner fairing near indicator mount
Brake/clutch fluids dark brown
Consider replacing coolant and air filter
Twist grip rubber loose
Starter motor body badly corroded
Bits on rear subframe corroded
Idling way too fast at 1700rpm
Needs a bloody good clean, some TLC and to be ridden

Nothing major really. On the plus side it does have manual CCT's fitted and was recommissioned prior to sale with carbs ultrasonically cleaned, new front tyre, oil and filter and 12 months MOT. Also double bubble screen, Rentec grab rail and datatool alarm (which I can't stand) fitted, seller also chucked in Haynes manual and paddock stand. Think I'll add a hugger and fenda extenda and might ditch the grab rail and look for a seat cowl. Instead of replacing front indicator stalk the flush ones look interesting.

Having said all that lets get down to what it's all about. The bike joins a stable of Hypersports ZZR 1400, crazy Street Tiple 675 and good all rounder VFR 800 (non vtec) and I've already found the V Twin vibe, handling and overall character of the Storm incredibly intoxicating. It's an absolute hoot!
Your bike sounds pretty similar to how mine was when I picked it up, low mileage but a little neglected...Great job on the starter motor.

A hugger is a great idea and they look neat as well, im sure you'll find a buyer for the grab rail on here if you decide to part it out.

Interesting that you have a VFR800 as well, I think some of us originally wanted a VFR but the Storm is like for like, a cheaper bike to purhcase and a lot more fun, only downer being fuel consumption/tank range if your treading on.

Worth checking if your 02 bike isnt an earlier model, late registered as mine is and only realised when I joined the forum, looks like yours may well be a later model

lastly, keep posting away, this is a great forum with plenty of practical advice & knowledge on hand.