Good evening ladies and gentlemen.

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
mdb

Good evening ladies and gentlemen.

Post by mdb »

Hello one and all.
My name is Mark and I have been riding for 30 years. Today I took custody of a 1999 VTR1000F in not quite shining red. It's a little tired, like me, with 26000 miles on the clock and 10 previous owners. It starts well enough on the choke, with a ticking noise from the engine. The ticking sounded like an early VFR750 with loose valve clearances. Could be a CCT starting to fail. I plan to strip it and thoroughly clean it over the next 8 weeks and replace the CCTs with manual versions. I have been reading a wide variety of posts during the previous week and I am impressed by the wealth of knowledge on the site. Armed with the Honda workshop manual and this site I feel ready to tackle any problems. I only hope my ricketty knees, hips and neck are up to the job of riding it.

Wishing you all a good years riding,
Mark
Kev L

Re: Good evening ladies and gentlemen.

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Mark. Don’t be afraid to post up on here if you have any questions, there’s a lot of good guys with plenty of knowledge. :beer:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Welcome to the forum mark :thumbup: :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

mdb wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:34 pm I only hope my ricketty knees, hips and neck are up to the job of riding it.
Welcome :thumbup:

Plenty on this site with similar afflictions and storm addictions
Kev L wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:50 pm ..., there’s a lot of good guys with plenty of knowledge. :beer:

second that - always helps us bad guys with bugger all knowledge :wink:

where in the world are you Mark?
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along mark :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
popkat

Post by popkat »

VFR anorak comment. I know the ticking noise you refer to on a VFR, but it's not loose valve clearances, although locknut and screw they operate on a rocker and like shims they close when in need of adjustment as opposed to a tappet getting loose. The ticking noise will be the cushioning springs between the cam gears which over time wear and cause a ticking. back in the days of VFR race bikes tuners would remove the springs and gain a small amount of power, nothing really notable but combined with other tuning it all helped, therefore a ticking early VFR is not a bad thing and if the noise annoys just go faster so you can't hear it :biggrin

There you go nothing really to do with your Storm but couldn't help myself, welcome to the forum so famed for thread hyjacks it has it's own thread titled "thread hijack" :wave: :lol:

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Mark :thumbup:

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Welcome , with 10 owners and 26k I’d be going over it very well as it’s been passed about a bit and most wouldn’t of done anything but ride it .
If your going to keep it go over it all
mdb

Post by mdb »

Thanks for the warm welcome. It is currently stripped and ready to check the valve clearances and install MCCTs. Just need to find the time. The good weather is coming and I want to be ready.

By the way, what years are classed as early VTRs?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

BST wheels are a work of art. I have a rear one here off GSXR that I was hoping to fit on the Storm but unfortunatly there is no easy way to get it to fit. Not unless I could move the front sprocket outwards or undo the allen bolts and break the super strong glue on the wheel to remove some of the inner hub area. :lol:
==============================Enter the Darkside
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Welcome Mark

There are some mentalists in here but some of us are alright and will keeo you right
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
mdb

Post by mdb »

popkat wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:15 pm VFR anorak comment. I know the ticking noise you refer to on a VFR, but it's not loose valve clearances, although locknut and screw they operate on a rocker and like shims they close when in need of adjustment as opposed to a tappet getting loose. The ticking noise will be the cushioning springs between the cam gears which over time wear and cause a ticking. back in the days of VFR race bikes tuners would remove the springs and gain a small amount of power, nothing really notable but combined with other tuning it all helped, therefore a ticking early VFR is not a bad thing and if the noise annoys just go faster so you can't hear it :biggrin

There you go nothing really to do with your Storm but couldn't help myself, welcome to the forum so famed for thread hyjacks it has it's own thread titled "thread hijack" :wave: :lol:

All true but I was referring to the sound made when the gap is set too loose. I always set them at the limit. Last one I did I cocked up and set the front cylinder gap too large by 0.05mm. It was a very unhealthy noticeable ticking rather than the more rythmic ticking of worn cushioning springs. Unless you have cocked up the gap you may not have heard it.