Introduction

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Gandalf

Introduction

Post by Gandalf »

Hi there folks,

Looking at the dates on the posts I can but wonder if there is anyone there :)

I have been a fan of the VTR for many years (first bike I got my elbow to the ground with) and have recently acquired one.

I say acquired, a friend died last year, taken by the big C. Having known him for years myself and some friends helped pack his last year with as much fun as possible, the VTR was his streetfighter project that sadly he never got to finish. His family have given me the bike bike way of a thank you for helping him through his last couple of years and for helping sort his estate and funeral. I had always said that if it were mine I would restore it to original, but, the family said I could have it, on the condition I finished it as a streetfighter.
At Todges funeral we played a photo slideshow to Jethro Tull's 'Broadsword' as it was his weapon of choice, so, I have joined the group hoping to pick your brains on the build that shall hence forth be known as 'Project Broadsword'

Names Gareth, friends call me Gandalf
This above all, to thine own self be true
Kev L

Re: Introduction

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Gareth, there have been quite a few fighters on here. Check out Duffy’s build, ongoing, and scubadog’s tango fighter. Both are nice examples of the gendre.
I must confess the more stock/race inspired bikes are more my bag but good luck to you with the build. Are you changing the bike running gear much from stock? SSS, USD front?
:beer:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

At the moment I’m aiming at simply converting to single rad, flat bars polish and paint. Once it’s tidy I’ll then look at where to go next. Streetfighters haven’t been my thing either, long, low, black and chrome has been me for years. I don’t want to get myself into a financial fix without making this a working machine first. I get the feeling this is going to be one of those jobs that’ll never be finished, there will always be a ‘ooh I could do that’ thing going on. The previous guys working on this machine for Todge weren’t, erm, shall we say, overly competent.
Fake carbon fibre glued all over the place and satin black rattle cans. Looks a lot different already
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

Any pics of how the bike is presently? Also factor in upgrading to manual CCTs & the R/R, and servicing shock linkage bearings, so you have a reliable base to work from.

Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications > viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31345#p304638
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Welcome aboard
Fighters have so many options it’s the cash that slows it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the forum.

we will help with piss taking and advice in equal measure ... but sometimes its tough to work out which is which
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Welcome to the forum.Streetfighters are not my cup of tea, but each to their own. :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Thank you for making me welcome

We ride bikes, if there were no piss taking the world would end :D

I shall try a couple of pictures, new to this forum stuff so might not work
Attachments
5A171CF1-5036-43BB-A070-E8F7DF0B1D31.jpeg
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Don’t know if that worked. I’ll take a look on the big screen at home
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

It seems not, let's try again.

The previous picture is of part of the frame since the removal of plastic and glue, these are all before work started. Wheels are out now head stock and forks also gone. Swing arm is next out.
I have a good friend (a motorcycle mechanic for honda (retired)) who warned me NOT to remove the engine, something to do with the lower bolt being zero lbs torque rated. That I didn't understand???
The attachment IMG_9221.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_9219.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_9216.JPG is no longer available
IMG_9216.JPG
Gandalf

Post by Gandalf »

Ok, I'm struggling with multiple files, I'll do them one by one
IMG_9221.JPG
Gandalf