Hello, new VTR 1000 F owner.

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Dash

Hello, new VTR 1000 F owner.

Post by Dash »

Hello all. New guy here from the Netherlands. :wave:

Bought myself a VTR a few weeks back. It's currently at the shops for an "apres purchase" check and some minor work. It's a banana yellow '98 with around 60k KM on the clock. It sports a 2 brothers exhaust system and terribly unsafe pimp blinkers. ;(

My bike histroy is a mixed bag: Kawasaki GPX 600R, Yamaha FZR 600, Honda Hawk, Yamaha TRX 850, KTM Duke 2, KTM 950 Supermoto, Ducati Monster 620 IE, Yamaha XTX, Honda CB-1 (god I loved that thing) and now a VTR 1000 F.

Ive always liked the VTR but never got around to buying one. But here we are now.

Thinking of turning it into a naked bike because of pain in my back, neck and wrists due to the riding position. Gonna have to see how well I fare on longer rides. I might end up turning it into a Monster-look-a-like. Time will tell. Im already looking around for parts for the convertion.
grumpyfrog

Re: Hello, new VTR 1000 F owner.

Post by grumpyfrog »

welcome to the mad house Dash...
Try the flat bar conversion with the fairing still on before going for the full rip it apart and start again route.
Then just enjoy it for summer, rip it apart in Winter if you must..... :thumbup:
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

grumpyfrog wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:54 am welcome to the mad house Dash...
Try the flat bar conversion with the fairing still on before going for the full rip it apart and start again route.
Then just enjoy it for summer, rip it apart in Winter if you must..... :thumbup:

Hello Dash,and welcome to the forum :wave: :thumbup: Good advice there from grumpyfrog.IMHO firestorms don't look good naked because of the side mounted radiators,but at the end of the day it's your choice.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Dash

Post by Dash »

I`m not really a fan of handlebars on a bike with fairing. Im a nitpick, I guess :P

Plus I looooove retro looking naked bikes. I had also converted my TRX to a naked bike and loved the results. Hoping to reproduce that effect with the 'Storm.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the team.

the ride well with flat bars, it feels more mental with no faring on when I test ride it after doing some mods, but the fairing back on makes it much easier to do speed and distance
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm guessing you are in the States. Apex riser clip-on's :thumbup: I had a CB 1 400 jap import. Nutty bike that was which I used to do despatch ridng on. Ended up writing it and myself off around a street light. :roll: My gawd I used to throw that bike around.

Welcome to the forum :beer:
==============================Enter the Darkside
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Apex riser clip-on's :thumbup: I had a CB 1 400 jap import. Nutty bike that was which I used to do despatch ridng on. Ended up writing it and myself off around a street light. :roll: My gawd I used to throw that bike around.

Welcome to the forum :beer:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

VTRDark wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:54 pm I'm guessing you are in the States.

carl . those paint fumes are getting to you :lol:

Dash wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:13 am Hello all. New guy here from the Netherlands. :wave:
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

They must be. I realised that afterwards and edited my post. :lol:
Dash

Post by Dash »

The states are a part of the Netherlands, let's be honest. We just allow the yankees to be there. :roll:

Anyhow, Im contemplating which handlebars to get. I like the look of tracker style bars rather than superbike bars.

Does anyone have experience with tracker bars on their VTR?
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Dash. I’m young enough to be ok with clip ons but the old boys with raised bars will advise you well. Just speak up. At their advanced years most things are on the way out!!!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

How'dy bud,

Just completing the transformation myself to high bars, used Renthal ultra low bars, same as tracker bars in height and reach? I think. But the transformation will be much better riding position for me personally. Totally worth it in my book. Will post pictures when done.

Ps enjoy your new steed. :thumbup:
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
Dash

Post by Dash »

mags@port wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:26 pm How'dy bud,

Just completing the transformation myself to high bars, used Renthal ultra low bars, same as tracker bars in height and reach? I think. But the transformation will be much better riding position for me personally. Totally worth it in my book. Will post pictures when done.

Ps enjoy your new steed. :thumbup:
Thanks. Keep me posted, will you?

And I think Ill enjoy the VTR. It reminds me so much of the TRX, only slightly better over the whole range of properties.
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Will do, once you have a v twin, you never forget them and hard to resist when your offered one 8O. Enjoy and ride safe
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
motojohn

Post by motojohn »

Welcome to the group in new here my self
If you think my attitude stinks ,you should smell my fingers !!