hi from west wales

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
haynesjones66

hi from west wales

Post by haynesjones66 »

hi, my name is pete and i'm considering a vtr. a year or so ago, i had major knee and hip problems and sold my versys 650 and fazer 600 as i couldnt ride them. however, many hours of physio and gym later, it's not too bad. so i'm looking for a loony bike before i get too old. is there anyone in the south/west wales area with a vtr but with raised bars to see if it would be comfortable to use? there are more sensible options out there but i want one last fling before my joints give up!
alanfjones1411

Re: hi from west wales

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum.Im 72 this year and don't find the vtr uncomfortable as you're not usually on it long enough due to fuel range.The men that have done the conversion recommend it.Get one they are a great bike.Very underrated. :wave: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

thanks for the reply. i'm only 58 but i feel older due to arthritis etc. i fancy a v-twin and looked at aprilia and suzuki but i like my hondas and the general opinion of vtr's are good.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club mate. Great bikes and there are loads of options available to customise it to your needs.
:beer:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

i had major knee and hip problems
Sounds as if dropped footrests are more of a priority. After op (fem pop) on my left leg I used a zx9 footpeg before finding some billet drop peg mount adaptors on both sides (okay for gear change side as that can be adjusted to suit but rear brake side not so adjustable) that allow me to keep riding the Storm - though also have a Transalp and 955i for more comfy regular use.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Pete :thumbup:

Chris.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Hi Pete.. welcome to the forums. Don't know if this will be of any help as my bike is off the road but if you are ever Cardiff way with a hour or so spare you are welcome to sit on my bike to see what it feels like. I have a variety of bars here which I can chuck on for you to try. I have standard bars from both early and late model storms the later models being a tad higher than the early model.. I have VFR bars here which are commonly used by folk who want to raise their bars up.. think they are about an inch higher than the storms standard bars plus I have a set of adjustable Apex bars with a 3 inch rise... not cheap to buy but cool bit of kit that can be adjusted in just about every way possible.
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

wicky, i was thinking dropped pegs would also be a good idea, although weirdly, dropped pegs on my versys made it worse! shauned71, i'm in cardiff today at 2.30 to see war horse down on the bay! if its convenient, my mobile is 07745 320 834. maybe i could call before or after.
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

took up shauns offer to visit his bike in cardiff as i was down there to see war horse at the millenium centre. nice to meet a genuine guy who knows his stuff. thank you shaun, much appreciated. i must say i'm surprised at how narrow the vtr fairing is, so maybe i wont need to take anything off. the only necessity for me would be risers as i'm not keen on sports bike bars. i'm selling one bike tomorrow so i'll be on the hunt for a reasonably priced (cheap) bike which doesnt have to be pretty but well maintained. too much to ask? anything out there?
Mauser5826

Post by Mauser5826 »

Welcome Pete :thumbup: