NEW VTR 1000 FIRESTORM owner and Honored Member

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
kawa

NEW VTR 1000 FIRESTORM owner and Honored Member

Post by kawa »

Hi Folks
I Would just like to say I have joined this Club to get associated with my latest ride and gain wisdom and advise from the owners of this fantastic Beast:)
MY Riding History:
The first bike I rode was a Honda Melody lol but my first fully owned bike was a Honda MT50 and I used to ride it on road and off road and truly loved my Motorcross machine but alas my MT50 WAS STOLEN.
The bike was locked and had a chain through the back wheel and frame and the police officer said to me when I reported the theft and I quote "Well you were asking for it to be stolen as it was an off-road bike"
I was not deterred as my next bike was a Spanking Brand new Suzuki TS 50X and I never parked this machine unattended :)
Later I bought a second hand fully upgraded hooligan machine in the guise of an RDLC125 MK2 YPVS
It had Boysen Racing Reeds/dynojetted carbs and a wire K&N POD filter, well the Bike Popped and Farted as I rode it from the shop up a rather steep hill as I revved it to 5,000-6,000 rpm and I thought my god I have bought a GOD DAM DOG OF A BIKE, and been conned!!
But Boy when this little racer hit 7,000 rpm it lept into life by lifting the front wheel and Accelerated in a Rubber Band delivery of power(I snapped the speedo cable as the engine revved out on the back wheel to 12,000 rpm in the blink of an eye PMSL) This was my first taste of the narrow power delivery of a two-stroke RACER!
After mastering this bike in my 2 year ownership i bought a Honda VT250FD, This machine was a revelation at low speeds and high as the power was pleasing at low revs and high as it was wholesome and pleasing to ride( I would recommend this bike to anyone who wanted to get from A TO B and wanted to Blow off anything below a CB 400.
My next bike was a True mindblowing machine it was a Honda VFR400FD and this machine was fantastic it had low down grunt and revved freely for a spirited ride, again I would highly recommend this machine.
I left motorcycling for a few years 18yrs to be precise to work for my family you understand, and when I came back to biking I bought a H CBR 600FY uLTIMA LIGHT but I am afraid it was to revvy by far and handled like a dream in Bends but the power delivery was as buzzy as my 2 strokes and felt as heavy as a PIG!! at slow speeds and manoeuvring it out of the Shed.
This bike my BEAST is a DREAM to ride but I must say it is not as nimble as the CBR in mid-corner and I would gladly appreciate any member giving me a few pointers as to how/why/or advise on this !!
Thank you for reading and your replies would be greatly appreciated.
PPS My example is a 20,00 miles super fast red 1997 version lol
The Bike is in fantastic/near showroom stock condition apart from the Original baffles have been Modified to reveal the true loud and F ing proud BOOM BOOM Nature of this beautiful machine :)

Karl
tony.mon

Re: NEW VTR 1000 FIRESTORM owner and Honored Member

Post by tony.mon »

Hey, Karl, welcome
They're not very nimble as standard, but the first thing to check is tyre pressures...
You can quicken the steering noticeably by slipping a 6mm spacer at the top shock mount between the top of the shock and the frame.
You'll kick the rear seat cover getting on for a week or so until you get used to it.

The next thing to do is to ride it like that for a while and see if you get used to it.
But if you want more, don't pull the forks up through the yokes by more than five mm or so unless you also fit a steering damper

Lastly, there's quite a range of movement at the rear wheel spindle (chain) adjustment.
Fit a new chain if the spindle us to the rear of the slot, it moves it forward and shortens the wheelbase.

Oh, and check the steering head hasn't been overtightened.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Karl :thumbup:
Nice introduction.

I can't really add anything to Tony's post,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along Karl. pretty much all covered by tony in his answer... like any bike a change to good front and rear suspension units will always improve things but that can be down the line.

or you could paint it yellow ?? :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Welcome to the forum Karl :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
kawa

Post by kawa »

Thank you folks I really appreciate the warm welcome and I apologize for the late reply :D
I have been somewhat wrapped up in work but I have today been carving the corners in the heady 15c that we have had here today and giving the old girl the beans.
kawa

Post by kawa »

I will be placing a 6mm aluminium spacer between the suspension tomorrow and test it out on a few roads I know(newark/matlock and kellam bridge)
The tyre pressures are in my opinion quite high 36 psi and 42 psi respectively but the Michelin road pilot 3 tyres are sure footed in the dry and on a washed out road with over 8 cm of standing water, so help me god!
I will update you all HOPEFULLY on my spacer experiment LOL
Ride LOUD n PROUD folkes.
:beer: