G'Day

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
shoot

G'Day

Post by shoot »

G'Day All,

New member in Perth Western Australia. Just picked up a Red, 2003 with 45000 K's on it and can't believe how good it is. Not only is it my 1st VTR its also my first Honda (only took 30 years!). As much as I am loving it, I cant get a consistent idle, one day it is at 1300rpm, the next its coughing and spluttering around 900, the next it may be 1500. Its also sometimes stalling at tick over and when I pull the clutch in whilst riding it frequently stalls. Its different every day, playing with the idle adjuster works on the day that you adjust it, but its anybody's guess where it will be the next day. Any ideas????????? Remus pipes, KN filter, jet kit, I have balanced the carbs and adjusted the TPS to 500 Ohms.

Regards Mark
fabiostar

Re: G'Day

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir. check all the pipes in about the carbs and the vac pipe esp.. if that doesnt help id be checking the diaphrams in the carbs and tank for little rips :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Southwind531

Post by Southwind531 »

Welcome along Shoot!

Bit warm over there at the moment, I hear.

It's a great forum mate, and some superb know how. Download the workshop manual. I'm not savvy enough to post the link, so perhaps someone could help out?

Re: Your carbs. I'd go for the idle circuit. I stripped & cleaned mine & it idles like a metronome. While you're at it, there are some top tips on here about jet sizes, needle heights & lift holes. Again, if someone could post a link for the best 'tried & tested' version.

All the best!

S.
Southwind531

Post by Southwind531 »

I should have said, suspect the jets after you've done what Fabio suggested. Start with the basics, they're pretty reliable machines & it's often only a simple problem.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Hi Shoot! Great place Perth, spent many happy years there back when Barbagallo was Wanneroo Park raceway.

Welcome.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
shoot

Post by shoot »

Thanks Guys

Almost too warm to be riding in Perth at the minute....almost :wink:

Thanks for the tips , I have removed the carbs and am giving them a clean, but didn't find anything obviously wrong anywhere. Whilst its apart I have removed the PAIR and have noticed something strange though. I had the bike running before I blocked off the small vacuum pipe that goes to the PAIR from the front carb, it ran OK until a blocked off the pipe and then it died, a repeated this a couple of times, same result. open pipe runs, blocked pipe stall, I would have thought this should be the other way round....could this be the culprit???

Regards Mark
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Mark :thumbup:

I'm not that familiar with the PAIR removal finer details, but I can't see you blocking of the small vacuum pipe from the front carb causing the bike to stall being right, assuming that, that small pipe is taken off the front carb inlet manifold. I have a feeling I may be getting the wrong idea here.
May be another forum member can help with this :?:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The vacuum from the front cylinder head is downdraft of the carb, and is used to pull the petrol tap diaphragm open.
Disconnecting it means that fuel stops flowing into the carbs.
It isn't part of the pair system.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
shoot

Post by shoot »

Probably didn't explain this very well. The PAIR system has 2 large tubes that go to the cylinder heads. It also has a small diameter tube coming from the PAIR actuator that connects to the Air Circuit Valve via a T piece. With the T piece left open the bike runs with it blocked off the bike stalls, I cant imagine that this is correct as it would be working opposite to the rear carb and am thinking that the Air Circuit Valve is broken or stuck.

removing the PAIR system and not blocking off the T piece is the same as having the tube that goes to the Air Circuit valve cut in half ?

Regards Mark
shoot

Post by shoot »

G'Day,

VTR is running great now. Not sure exactly what the problem was as I altered multiple things at once, but I suspect it was an air leak on the PAIR system affecting the front carb. Thanks for the help and suggestions, I can get on with riding it now :D

Regards Mark
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Sorry to be late to the party....Being from the states, we have had to deal with all the PAIR fun.
Nothing should be open to atms. and glad you got it sorted :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.