Possible new purchase

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Bonbonbites

Possible new purchase

Post by Bonbonbites »

Hi, thank you for allowing me to join the group.Im considering buying this VTR and would appreciate any views.Its a German import with 19k on the clock
B5840158-6B70-49B1-9AD0-700731912AF1.png
7969A2C8-F382-41CE-AD16-F3D0A0C64E3B.png
Wicky

Re: Possible new purchase

Post by Wicky »

Looks very clean and unmolested - there's a grey unpainted(?) fairing for the bike in the background. Watch out for scammers if buying from ebay selling high value bikes at silly prices.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Bonbonbites

Post by Bonbonbites »

Wicky wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 pm Looks very clean and unmolested - there's a grey unpainted(?) fairing for the bike in the background. Watch out for scammers if buying from ebay selling high value bikes at silly prices.
The bike is gorgeous, it has a resin repair on the fuel tank as many did.Im a bit concerned about the gold discs and yellow Honda on the belly pan as I’ve only ever seen one bike last Kev this
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Has the seller indicated it's been binned on the road/track then done up?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It could be a set of Chinese fairings, but that's no real problem- the fit and finish is generally ok.

SP1/SPy's are a great bike- good for track days- but they won't beat anything recent and modern. On the road, though, you'll keep up fine.
The SP2 has uprated injection and a couple of other minor mods, but it's generally not worth the extra money to get a 2.

Unless money's no object, of course.

I wouldn't worry too much about an ex-track bike- most regular tracklayers look after their bikes. Check I cover carefully.
The only slight worry is the resin'ed tank- the Sp1's have a habit of cracking at the rear pivot bolt, and buying a secondhand one isn't guaranteeing that it won't go the same way at some stage.
Welding is better, and more permanent, but you'd then have to get it painted....

The import isn't a problem, you might have to put tape on the headlights at MOT time, and you can get a 2nd hand MPH speedo from the uS for less than 200 pounds inc duty.
What's the price?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.